A Film That Inspired Me

CaptureMy Featured Blogger this week is Dora A.K. of The Jolly Beggar and its sister site Dreams From a Pilgrim. I only recently began following Dora, but already both of her sites are among my favorites. In Beggar, Dora writes about current topics (but always with an eye to the eternal). In Pilgrim she writes a bit more about her own spiritual journey. Dora never fails to make me ruminate on things that matter, and never fails to hold my attention. The woman writes well!

In this case, I admit, she’s written on a subject close to my heart, my own recently-released feature film Healing River, so, I admit, this is a bit of twofer. But she was due to be Featured anyway. Visit both of her blog sites…

And you’ll see why!

The Jolly Beggar

In response to SandmanJazz’s 30 Day Film Challenge today, to wit, a film that inspired you, I like his repartee to the prompt: “Inspired me to what?🤣”

Exactly.

Inspired me to what?

MV5BN2UwYzE3MTMtMmUyNC00YjRlLTlmYzUtMTc5N2ZhZjE4ZTNhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjEzNjY0NTg@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_

And that made me think of a movie I saw just in the last month on Amazon Prime: Healing River (2020), written & directed by Mitch Teemley. It’s a religious drama borne out of sudden tragedy. I hesitate to call it “religious” because that brings to mind the Hallmark pablum variety. This is more of a drama in the vein of Mike Nichols’s directorial debut, Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf (1966). Although it’s no black comedy, Healing River socks it to you with its fluid cinematography, character psychology, acerbic, no-holds barred dialogue and – here’s where the inspiration comes from – brutal honesty about what it means to be a Christian.

View original post 247 more words

This entry was posted in Movies, Quips and Quotes, Writing and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to A Film That Inspired Me

1. revruss1220 says:

Thanks for the introduction – once again – Mitch. She does a great job of explaining the appeal of “Healing River,” doesn’t she? It is an unabashed Christian witness, but one with real drama, power, and relevance. Kudos to you for making it and to her for reviewing it!

• mitchteemley says:

Thanks, Russ! (Wasn’t positive you’d seen it, but I gave your name, along with quite a few others, to a writer who’s asking for responses, i.e. doing publicity for the film ;>).

2. K.L. Hale says:

What a great writer she is indeed! And a wonderful summation of the movie. I love seeing God move through so much media! ❣️

3. Ruth says:

Just watched it and it’s amazing! We need more “healing” of this caliber! Was trying to find the song titles and artists… great job! Thanks so much!

• mitchteemley says:

I’m delighted to hear how much you enjoyed Healing River, Ruth! Re. The songs: Thank you! They haven’t been released yet, but will be soon. I’ll announce it on my blog when they are.
      Meanwhile, may I encourage you to leave a brief review at Amazon? (The more reviews it receives, the more they recommend it). You can also rate it on IMDb (link below). We’re working to counter fake ratings left by internet trolls (who haven’t even seen the movie). Thanks and blessings! https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5848326/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_2

4. Pingback: nota bene – Dreams from a Pilgrimage

5. Jeanne Bill Casey says:

How do I find Dora A.K.’s blogs?

• mitchteemley says:

If you click “View original post” at the bottom of the blog excerpt above, it will take you to her Jolly Beggar blog site. There she mentions her other blog site and has a link to it.