Dare to be Meek!

IMAG0138

I had these buttons printed up a few years back as a play on the common misunderstanding of the word meek as meaning “timid” or “afraid.”  Actually, its true meaning is nearly the opposite. Webster’s Dictionary defines it as being humbly patient. Most of us are better at being proudly impatient!

A key test of our meekness lies in the use of the word “wrong.”  When cornered, we will sometimes admit we were wrong in the past, and may even laugh about it. But to admit that we’re wrong in the present?  That’s a horse of a different color. It takes humility to say, “I was wrong.” It takes courage to say, “I am wrong.”

But that’s exactly what people need us to do. Because when we admit our errors in the present, we empower others to do the same. We’re all on this journey together and none of us is right all the time, or even most of the time. But if we’re humble, we can sometimes admit that one of us may be right—and that it may not be ourselves—and then we can humbly embrace the truth. Together.

Together and humble we possess a much higher truth-quotient than alone and proud. And ultimately, that’s the only way we’re going to survive.  Maybe that’s why Jesus said,

“The meek shall inherit the earth” (Matthew 5:5)

So dare to be humble. Dare to be patient.

Dare to be Meek!

This entry was posted in For Pastors and Teachers, Humor, Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Dare to be Meek!

1. Woohoo! Love this, Mitch. Well done. 🙂

2. Heidi Viars says:

Mitch, I just (about 10 minutes ago) said to one of my kids, “Sorry, I was wrong!” I am deeply convicted by your blog …. Off now to correct my statement… Thank you, Mitch

3. Guess who’s preaching on the Beatitudes this summer? And guess which Beatitude is the focus this week?! I always try to lift up something different about familiar passages, and you have given me your usual thoughtful perspective for my own thinking. Thank you once again!

4. revruss1220 says:

Excellent! When you put it that way it becomes clear that it takes real strength to be authentically meek. Nailed me again, Mitch!

5. Pingback: Meekness Sure Ain’t for the Faint Hearted…. | See, there's this thing called biology...

6. bornagain732 says:

Yes! Excellent! Thank you for this reminder!!

7. IanC555 says:

I receive this article with a real joy! Thanks Mitch. It made me think about how I was trained to be wrong. This as served me to a degree. I’m well familiar with what you say, and bringing balance to this over many years was quite a battle. BUT Jesus talked about what to do when we are right, too. He had step. Present you case, then if not believed, get a witness and then if before two testimonies before who opposes then walk away and dusting your feet of it. It’s amazing to me that both being right (past and future) and wrong (past and future) both take degrees of courage and fortitude…which are found in Humility, being humble and being meek. So in God and Christ and in their spirit, we give testimony between one another and fortify all these things.

Thank you, Mitch…very very much…In what degree of humility I may.

ove in spirit!

8. mistermuse says:

You seldom see a meek politician sincerely admit to being wrong. That’s why I was pleasantly surprised last night when, at the televised Democratic Presidential debates, Mayor Pete (when asked why his police force was only 6% black when the city’s population was 26% black), replied simply “Because I didn’t get it done,” rather than make excuses.

This comment isn’t meant as an endorsement of Mayor Pete, but simply to note an example of the courage you cite, in a profession not known for “meekness.”

9. Learnography says:

It’s differential learning! Button print is amazing.

10. Very true and wise reminder!

11. Wise words that all should heed!

12. Mira Fahlan says:

Thanks so much for your msg. You’re a real gem and it was very appreciated! I did try to reply via mail but it keeps returning an error so here’s the short version instead (:

13. I never thought of saying “I AM wrong” – present tense. Shouldn’t I be correcting myself the moment I realize it, thus putting it in the past, however recent?

14. Pingback: Blessed are the Meek | Mitch Teemley

15. nancyehead says:

Meekness is a virtue we could use more of. Thanks and God bless, Mitch!

16. Relationships can be restored in the admitting of wrongs.

17. Mary Jane says:

So cool, humbly patient!! this makes me think of a future blog post. Thanks! 😉

18. Mark Tulin says:

Great post. Proud to be meek.