Love is Like That

Both of my kids were unexpected gifts. Nevertheless, when my first child arrived I fell instantly in love with her.

So much so that I was afraid I could never love another child as much. I needn’t have worried. When Beth arrived I fell so in love with her that I was afraid it would eclipse my love for Mandy.

Happy-Fathers-Day-Images-6Instead, my love doubled. That’s love’s curious economy: the more we love, the more we have to give.

Years later, my mom told me that I too had been an unexpected gift and that my dad had reacted precisely the same way.

“Ah, yes,” I thought. “Love is like that.”

This entry was posted in Memoir, Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Love is Like That

1. Keith Haney says:

What a great piece. I have six so for me it was six times as much love. Happy Father’s day!

2. dharkanein says:

Such a lovely description of love and yes love for children is such..

3. trE says:

Love is a beautiful thing.

Happy Father’s Day, Mitch!

4. oneta hayes says:

I remember so well my second pregnancy. It was a planned deal. I was happy to be having another baby, but my thoughts were “I will be a good mother and I will love this child, but there is no way I can love it like I love (number one son).” Was I surprised! No love was taken from from the first, but no shortage was given to the second. Your thoughts exactly.

5. cricketmuse says:

Planned gifts are special loves too. I keep saying this to my youngest who arrived five years after his sibling who thinks he is an afterthought not thoughtfully planned.

6. There’s nothing like child like love -unconditional. Happy Father’s Day! Continued blessings…

7. smzang says:

Perfect for this special day, (or any day)

I was going to say I hope your’s is a happy day,
    but as I began to type, I found the words changed
    to: I’m glad yours has been a happy day.

8. themeonnblog says:

Happy Father’s Day!

9. Happy Father’s Day!

10. kazgirl22 says:

This is great. I often have that same scary thought about having another child, because I love my first just so much I can’t imagine loving another. Thanks for this!!!

11. wizki says:

Very nice sentiment. I am not a father (yet, anyway), but this resonates nonetheless. I grew up with a twin brother and later, a little sister and brother, and I don’t think I ever felt “less loved”–but certainly differently loved. My father told me that he’s proud of all of his children, our various forms of courage and what we’ve accomplished, and that is good enough for me. Cheers.

12. revruss1220 says:

Yup. That’s exactly the way it works. Thanks for the reminder, and Happy Father’s Day!

13. Ann Coleman says:

Our first daughter was planned, but I still remember how amazed I was at how I fell in love with her instantly, and so deeply the very second she was born. Until then, I had thought love was something that came upon us gradually. It was a miracle!

14. nancyehead says:

“That’s love’s curious economy: the more we love, the more we have to give.”
    If the world would adopt that motto, it would fix a multitude of troubles. Great post! God bless!

15. I love this! The more you give love, the more love you have to give! 🙂 Perfect.