Do Not be Afraid!

images

The phrase “Do Not be Afraid” reputedly appears some 365 time in the Bible–once for each day of the year. Could God be trying to tell us something?

Ever since Einstein’s day scientists have been trying to find a Unified Field, a framework that unifies all fundamental forces (gravity, electromagnetism, etc.). Last year the movie Interstellar dared to suggest (along with nearly every songwriter who ever lived) that love is the answer, the underlying framework of the universe, the Unified Field.

Clovefearould love literally “make the world go ‘round?” And what’s the connection between love and the Bible’s insistence that we not be afraid? According to I John 4:18, “Perfect love casts out fear.” In other words, fear, not hatred, is the opposite of love.

And yet when people have visions of God they always seem to fall on the ground in fear (Revelation 1:17). Apostles and disciples, prophets and seers. Doesn’t matter who. When they enter the presence of God, everyone acts like a leper: “Get away from me, I’m unclean!” (Isaiah 6:6; Luke 5:8)

Why?

Because we think we’re OK until we see what OK really looks like. Then we understand that we’re not even close. And the closer we get to God, the more we understand just how broken the world is and how broken we are (selfish, vindictive, vain—you know what I’m talking about).

So the solution is to avoid God, right?

Only if you want to live a lie. Until it kills you.

Interstellar_trailer2No. The solution is to dive into the black hole of fear, the gross realization that the world is broken and that we suck (my word, don’t look for it in the Bible) even more than that black hole does.  Because God is there waiting for us.

He isn’t the problem, he’s the solution. He doesn’t cause our fear, we do. But, wait, “perfect love casts out fear.” And guess who has an exclusive franchise on perfect love.

When we humble ourselves before him and admit we suck, his response is, “Yeah, I know. But you know what, I also love you, and my love is the Unified Field that holds the whole universe together, so I’m pretty sure it can help you stop sucking. Seriously. Now get over and here and stop being afraid, ya knucklehead!” (James 4:10 and Micah 7:18-19 – very loosely paraphrased).

Be ye blest!

~Mitch

This entry was posted in Culture, For Pastors and Teachers, Religion/Faith and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Do Not be Afraid!

1. Mitch, thank you very much for your kind words and post! I’ve been hearing myself say lately to friends and relatives, “if I’m truly trying to find and follow the Lord, then I have to go through this (what ever it is I’m going through) with faith.” It’s not a walk in the park but when I think of the Crucifixion – neither was that!

Thank you again!

2. Simply… God is love. And He makes this world go round. 🙂

3. Kelly Anne Liberto says:

Great reminder for me today as well. Thanks for the post Mitch!

4. 60thesc says:

Not so sure.
    If it is a thing that the four apostles wanted to do, if it’s real.
    And why that sentence? Why not other?
    All is strange, but you could be right.
    It’ll be discovered, whenever.

5. Pingback: Are We Racists? | Mitch Teemley

6. mildredmoss says:

Now you’ve done it! I get something straight in my poor tangled mind and then you throw in the Unified Field. I’ve been arguing about Schlesinger’s Cat all afternoon, and I’m exhausted, because I don’t think scientific or biblical themes need names, necessarily. So, what should I do? I’m exhausted. I’ll read your blog if you’ll read mine: http://www.mildredmoss.com.

7. Pingback: Are We Racists? | Mitch Teemley

8. mitchteemley says:

Reblogged this on Mitch Teemley and commented:

Wishing you a blessed–and fearless–holiday season!

9. Ye also, be blest…ya knuckle head! lol! I am blessed by you through the gift God has given you to be able to teach important truths with a sense of humor.:0)

Praise God, when we dive into that black hole of fear, he’s ready and waiting to catch us in his loving arms. And from then on, we have NO need to fear ANYTHING, because he will see us through until it’s time to be transported to heaven. I don’t know how people sleep at night–in this crazy world–without that assurance tucked close! Thank you, Mitch.

11. dawnlizjones says:

THIS is fabulous. Fear has been a defining force in my life. I’ve made good strides, but still a work in progress. Thank you for this.