Artsy Liberals?

IMAG0310Yesterday my wife and I attended an art gallery opening, watched an experimental theatre production and marched downtown with Black Lives Matter protesters. “Oh, no!” I snorted. “We’ve turned into artsy, liberal white people!” My wife chuckled. But is it true?  Have we?

Not really. The artist is a personal friend. Our daughter and son-in-law (both professional actors) were in the play. And Black Lives Matter…?  Well, the three activities had just one thing in common: community.  We were simply trying to be there for the people we love. Not a bad way to spend the day, actually. And something we need to do far more often!

P.S. Anybody got a good recipe for fermented quinoa-kale “peace brownies?”

This entry was posted in Culture, Humor, Memoir, Mitchellaneous and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Artsy Liberals?

1. trE says:

There are no marches in my area as of today. I am home, taking a mental health day. I will be researching. I would like to be a part of whatever I can, whenever I can. Life is too precious, far too precious for any of this to continue.

2. Paul Abernathy says:

Yes, Mitch, a grandly good day, indeed. Love and peace to you and your wife

3. Roos Ruse says:

Black (a shade actually) is the presence of all Color. Any way we slice it, dice it and digest it, we’re all black and Black Lives Matter. Maybe it’s just me. If I heard the news report correctly the Dallas shooting disrupted a Peace Rally. Does anyone else get the irony?

I may have the recipe, Mitch. Mrs. Teemley can email me. 😀

4. smzang says:

Not a thing wrong with having ‘artsy liberal’ as a part of your persona, in my opinion.
    It sounds like a beautiful day!

5. I have a recipe from years ago but its main ingredient is ‘whacky weed’. Like many other things from my past I’ve given up ‘whacky’

6. Ron Huston says:

What’s an “artsy liberal” ? Are they bad people ?

7. mitchteemley says:

Ron Huston: It’s not artsy types, or liberal types, or conservative types I’m teasing, it’s stereotypes. On the other hand, as always, I’m dead sincere about loving others.

8. Glad it was fun! ^_^

9. Pingback: Clarification with Raspberry | Mitch Teemley

10. dawnlizjones says:

Seriously? How could anyone be offended by this? I think we are all prone to stereotypes, yet more insidiously we are prone to offense.

11. Lucie says:

Fermented quinoa-kale brownies? Seriously? I’ll take a regular chocolate brownie, thank you very much! 🙂 And I’m with Dawn…I don’t see anything offensive in this at all, but I’m a little wacky myself, so what do I know???? 😉

12. cat9984 says:

I don’t think Quinoa-Kale brownies make you liberal. I think they mean you have a basic misunderstanding of what a brownie is. 🙂 (Are they even brown?)

13. kertsen says:

Since the dawn of history we have lived in a world where some lives matter more than others. There are many reasons but perhaps the biggest is wealth differential. In the western nations we have doctors and if you have enough money you can jump the queue with impunity..
    In parts of the world you can be left to die on the streets. Babies are thrown into dustbins while children are totally neglected..
    If you are born with brains in the west you are more valuable than those with lower intelligence because you can be used to make more wealth.
    The whole idea of equality runs contrary to human nature survival of the fittest , weakest to the wall. The work ethic implies those who can work the hardest , can and should be more highly valued. Birds of a feather flock together to gain more for their tribe and within the tribe they fight for the best places.

• mitchteemley says:

Yet we also have contrary moral consciousness that tells us these patterns ought, at least in part, to be overridden.

• kertsen says:

Yes quite right and politics is about just what is meant by ‘at least in part .’ Sometimes it is to our advantage to be seen to be kind but not to our advantage to overdo it. Progress is good for me and mine and those outsiders but me and mine must come first. The generous rich man must take care lest he lose his capital and become poor. The widows mite speaks volumes to a receptive ear.

14. ALOR says:

My kinda artsy liberals – from a girl with a liberal arts degree!