Windows

Few objects are so suffused with meaning. They’re seldom “just windows.” They are symbols of the past or of the future. Of possibilities, or missed opportunities. They taunt us with freedom. Or separate the unruly world outside from the neat little worlds we’ve made inside. They’re where we dream, and where we hide from our dreams. Windows can be anything. The only thing they can never be is nothing.

Don’t miss the quotes after the images below.

(Click on any image to enlarge it, or to start slide show)

“I discovered windows one afternoon and after that, nothing was ever the same.” ~Anne Spollen

“Every face, every shop, bedroom window, public-house, and dark square is a picture feverishly turned — in search of what?” ~Virginia Woolf

“I’m not very good at knowing what other people are thinking, but I do know that you can see tragedy, real tragedy, sitting just inside a person’s gaze.” ~Mo Hayder

“He left the drapes open, watched the lights of the cars and of the fast food joints through the window glass, comforted to know there was another world out there, one he could walk to anytime he wanted.” ~Neil Gaiman

“Shut the windows, draw the curtains, keep the rumour out!” ~L.P. Hartley

“What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what goes on behind a windowpane. In that black or luminous square life lives, life dreams, life suffers.” ~Charles Baudelaire

“Well, it is very odd of you to threaten to throw your friends out of the window, I must say,’ remarked Juliana. He smiled. ‘Not at all. It is only my friends that I would throw out of the window.’ ‘Dear me!’ said Juliana, finding the male sex incomprehensible.”       ~Georgette Heyer

“Your desire to be near to window is your desire to be close to life… Enlarge your windows till you get a window where you can see the whole universe with one look!”   ~Mehmet Murat ildan

“’Bring all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be food in My house. Try Me now in this,’ says the LORD of hosts, ‘and see if I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out such blessing that there will not be room enough to receive it.’”       ~Malachi 3:10

“For now we see through a glass darkly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known.” ~1 Corinthian 13:12

This entry was posted in Culture, Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Windows

1. loved the images shared by you and quotes too. Beautifully co related them

2. Mitch, I love this. The windows and the scenes presented are stunning. Love the quotes and scriptures … open up the windows of heaven” Amen.💕💕💕💕🙏

3. numrhood says:

1 corinthian 11:12
    have faith in god
    believe

4. Piano girl says:

I love the way you combine words and images.

5. lprslr says:

I love the Mehmet Murat ildan quote. Thank you for yet another thought-provoking post.

6. smzang says:

Lots of inspiration in the photos and the quotes.
    Thank you!!

7. Thankyou for this extraordinary post. Love how you wrap up every pane there with scripture fits in with clarity to the one peering in. And thankyou for appreciation on my Rambles:) means a lot to me. And this blogosphere. Just when you think you’re writing on the walls of an obscure cave, a Thread connects. Yeah though we peer thru a glass darkly, oneday our tangles will unravel the madness we are for a brief breath.

8. nancyehead says:

I especially love the stained glass image. Beautiful!

9. Pingback: Picture It: – Pitching Pennies Poetry

10. You’ve outdone yourself with this collection of images and quotes. The two Hopper paintings in particular speak volumes.

11. Pam Webb says:

I do know one of the toughest teaching assignments I had was one period teaching English in a windowless room. The students were wonderful, fortunately.

12. Subtly sublime. Purposely profound.

13. BoardFlak says:

A great set of images and quotes, I can see why Sarah was inspired to write about one of them.

14. The images and quotes display the multitude of feelings associated with windows, and I think more highly of Dallas after seeing the splendid spiral in that chapel.  (I am a sucker for stained glass.)  Here is yet another thought about windows in the next few months:

*Seen from Inside*
                    Swaying in the wind,
                    bare trees dance to Earth music
                    not heard thru the glass.