You’re Peculiar

blessed-are-the-weird

It was 1999 (as in “party like it’s…”). I was wearing khakis and a polo shirt, and was about to do a reading of my autobiographical poem Fool’s Odyssey for a room full of clove cigarette-smoking hipsters, identically clad in tight black clothes. I stepped up to the microphone and mumbled, “Sheesh, I feel so normal,” and they burst into applause. And then I knew I had them. Because I was, in fact, the weirdest person in the room.

“You are a chosen generation…a peculiar people, uniquely suited to show the goodness of the one who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.” ~1 Peter 2:9

This entry was posted in For Pastors and Teachers, Humor, Memoir, Poetry, Quips and Quotes, Writing and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to You’re Peculiar

1. nancyehead says:

Be weird. It keeps people wondering. God bless!

2. That’s some good writing. 🙂 If I remember correctly, old Pete was a blustering “weirdo” too, yet Jesus chose him to be the foundation “rock” upon which the Christian movement was built. I’ve read some translations of Matthew 16:18 that say, “You are [pebbles] but upon this [rock] I will build my [called-out ones]”

3. Kim Smyth says:

Glad to be included in this prestigious group! 😉

4. Gary Fultz says:

Oh fun Mitch, they had you right where you wanted them.

5. Eliza Ayres says:

Reblogged this on Blue Dragon Journal.

6. leesha0304 says:

Love this! It’s the weird ones that make life interesting and fun! 🙂

7. Thanks Bro. Mitch! Abba used this message as a very timely confirmation!!

8. JOY journal says:

Snap, snap, snap…

9. revruss1220 says:

Praise God for those who dare to be weird. They add the spice to the soup of life.

10. fipwmum says:

I am so glad God chose the “weird” ones including me lol

11. My sister posted that meme to her facebook profile about a month ago. The artists amongst us often feel pushed to the outer rim. Perhaps that is because in some way we prefer it there in spite of the pain it causes.

12. And here I thought that Normal was in Oklahoma.

13. Love the irony.  In a room full of “identically clad” hipsters who all smoke clove cigarettes and may well think of themselves as nonconformists, the “normal” guy is the weirdo nonconformist.  Glad U could make the point in a gentle way that provoked applause rather than defensiveness.