The Phases of Adulthood

human-aging-process-male

Why are there so many names for the different phases of life from birth through teens (baby, toddler, pre-schooler, kindergartner, grade-schooler, pre-teen, tweener) and almost none for the 60+ years that follow?

It’s not fair! I mean, you’re not just young, then old! For example, I clearly hit Second Puberty around age 40, when all of those little hairs started popping out in weird places.

Here are a few name suggestions for the different

Phases of Adulthood

• 20s: Hipper-than-You-ers, Not Fairers, Communists
  • 30s: Still-Got-It-ers, Owned-by-My-Kids-ers, Democrats
  • 40s: Trying-to-Keep-It-ers, Our-Music-Was-Better-than-Yours-ers, Moderates
  • 50s: Had-More-Than-You-Ever-Will-ers, Bend-Over-Groaners, Republicans
  • 60s: Wait-Where-Did-I-Put-It-ers, Fascists
  • 70s: I-Don’t-Need-a-Cane-ers, All-Politicians-are-the-Same-ers
  • 80s: Where’s-My-Cane-ers, Communists

What names would you suggest for the Phases of Adulthood?

This entry was posted in Culture, Humor and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to The Phases of Adulthood

1. JOY journal says:

Hilarious. What about 90s, the Outta-My-Way-Or-I’ll-Hit-You-With-My-Caners? (Actually, I could embrace that even now…) 🙂 Blessings!

2. Used-to-have-it, where-did-I-put-it, what-am-I-missing, who-are-you, why-are-you-in-my-comment, forgetter

3. Erika Kind says:

Haha… this is very funny, Mitch!!

4. Candice says:

Hilarious! You’ve hit on some of those adult stages exactly. It’s fun watching my kids’ changing as they age.

5. stolzyblog says:

I’ve thought that the ‘our musical era was better’ in every decade I have lived so far. 🙂 Namely, late ’60s.

6. theladyqcom says:

This is funny and yet so true.

7. I will think about names and post.

8. Thanks MItch. This made me remember Erik and Joan Erikson’s stages of life. In adulthood, they identified the polarized struggles: Intimacy versus Isolation, Generativity versus Stagnation, and Ego Integration verses Despair…Joan noted a 9th stage for the very elderly…I think all of our dialectics are undergirded by a search for meaning, for the Holy, for the strength necessary to be compassionate…

9. revruss1220 says:

Love this! I have to re-blog, if I may.

10. revruss1220 says:

Reblogged this on Russellings of the Spirit and commented:
    A good one here from a blogger I really like…

11. Have published The Nine Phases of Adultery/oops Adulthood

12. Pingback: The Nine Phases of Adultery/oops Adulthood – worry-less-journey

13. I’m only twenty-five, and I think I skipped a few of those phases…

14. Ann Coleman says:

This is so true! Why are there no names for those of us who are no longer quite middle age, but yet also not senior citizens? (And I may only be 60, but I do think all politicians are the same…people with more egos than brains, although that is distinctly unChristian to say to say, God forgive me.) As for my names for this stage? I’d love “wise and wonderful”, but no one says that…..

15. Very true Mitch. I am not quite sure what happened to my Politics. I have not changed from the time I can remember. All the rest hit the nail. Great post. John

16. Fun, yes, I agree we need more names, labels labels labels get yer labels here, slap one on and move along. Bwah ha ha. At 53 I’m past middle age (not likely to make it to 106) but not quite into coffin fittings yet so I usually go with “still not dead”. We’re asking a lot of the “old” label if it’s actually supposed to carry us all the way from average middle age of 40 to 78(average for us life expectancy). Then what do we call the ones who live past 78, the living dead? high achievers? hmmmm

17. Nice, glib observations, Mitch. Your view of 80 +’ers contradicts the MSM view of advanced seniors as crabby old ultraconservatives. I am inclined to agree with you on this- having heard at least one octogenarian fume: “The government had better not mess with my Medicare!”

18. carhicks says:

Nice ideas Mitch, but they are all negative. How about: Travelers (60 plus) because we have the time and money for it, Luncher (60 plusI can go out for lunch now) my favourite for 60s Why did I come in here-ers. That is my two cents worth.

19. gpavants says:

I would at pupa stage to middle schoolers. 100 year olds on great shape: miracleish.