A Filmmaker’s Journal

no-buget-filmmaking-1024x768

Less than a month from now we begin shooting my feature film Over-the-Rhine (I’m writing and directing). I want to share the experience with you, my bloggish friends, partly because I think of you as my extended family (aww) and partly because I’ll be too busy to do much else (a typical shooting day runs 12+ hours). So I’ll be posting regular Filmmaker’s Journal updates once we get rolling. This is only a test, test, test, test…

Some facts:

1. It’s a low budget movie–about as much money as Spielberg spends on craft service (“coffee and bagels”) for one of his movies.
  2. It’s a faith-based film–no, God doesn’t appear onscreen, but he has a key role in the story, nevertheless…and has agreed to play himself!
  3. It’s a dark drama–many of you think of me as a humorist, and there are some humorous moments in the film, but this story, inspired by true events, will take us to some very dark places. The tagline is: “Could you forgive the unforgivable?”
  4. Casting happens today–I leave for callbacks in 5 minutes!  This is when we “call back” the most promising actors and have them audition opposite those they may end up on-screen with.
  5. I’m ridiculously excited! But ultimately (I’m telling you what I remind myself every day) this isn’t my film, it’s You-know-Who’s (see item #2 above). So I greatly appreciate your prayers that we never lose sight of that!

More to come.

Blessings till it hurts,  Mitch

For the next Journal entry, click here.

This entry was posted in Culture, Memoir, Mitchellaneous, Movies, Popular Culture & Entertainment and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to A Filmmaker’s Journal

1. frenchc1955 says:

This is very exciting–good luck!!

2. Super stoked for you! Can’t wait to hear more.

3. It’s your time! Have fun- you’ve got this!

4. den169 says:

Here’s to inspiration!

5. Ron says:

Wonderful! We will look for every update. Excited with you!

6. Congratulations! I’ll be following your story with great interest!

7. I’ll definitely be praying for you. I’m excited for you and excited about a good movie being produced. There’s nothing that depresses me more about the current state of our culture than trying to fine a decent movie to watch. May God bless and multiply your endeavors.

8. dvaal says:

I’m so excited for you. I can’t wait to watch it. I also believe that God pushes my fingers through the keys while writing The Living Miracle A Love Story. I felt blessed. I have confidence in you -that you will stay your course with God in the lead. You’ve already given it a great start by designating him as “in charge.” With prayer -I don’t need to cross my fingers for you. The best of luck, my friend.
    fiddledeedeebooks.wordpress.com

9. atimetoshare.me says:

God’s blessings of n your work, Mitch. Surely He will since you’re doing this to his glory. I’ll be looking forward to hearing all about it.

10. Congratulations Mitch! Glad to hear you’re going to post your filmmaker updates… this is going to be a fun learning experience for us. We’ll be getting an actual, behind the scenes perspective from you. True, we’ll miss the other fun stuff like “falling cow signs” and “Cloudzilla” but, for that, we can always take a trip down memory lane in your blog archives… which date back to July ‘14.

11. Oh Mitch, I am SO excited for you… “And who knows but that you have come to your royal position for such a time as this?” Esther 4:14 …I pray the LORD will be with you, speak to you and through you, guide your ever step, and use you for HIS glory!!! Prayerfully… your sis-in-Christ 🙏

12. socialbridge says:

All the very best with it, Mitch.

13. dawnlizjones says:

Wow! So cool! Do you have any idea when the movie will be out? On DVD? No Netflix?

14. Laurie Welch says:

How exciting! Thanks for keeping us in the loop dee loop 🙂

15. karenlts25 says:

All the best in the time ahead- what a challenging environment! May you find the daily ( or hourly!) strength, wisdom & discernment needed!

16. So happy to hear your project! I love to watch the movie inspired by true events. I can’t wait to see it 🙂 I bet you will succeed

17. Best of luck Mitch! I can’t wait for the updates! Whoop!

18. Wow, so cool! So inspired to see more Christian movies being made. Good luck, may God bless this and let me know the day you do auditions from South Africa 🙂

19. njokimburu says:

All the best Mitch! I hope you enjoy the whooooole process, the ups, the downs, the funny moments and the sad ones. Thanks for documenting this journey!
    Blessings!

20. It’s going to be a good shoot, Mitch. How could it not be when you’re as excited as you are about the film. That always translates well with the actors. All the best on the film. ‘o)

21. Lucie says:

Have fun, Buddy!!!! I look forward to reading about your experiences!!!! 🙂 (And Congratulations!!!!)

22. Love how God is taking so many major roles recently! Blessings to you as He uses you to bring Him glory through the silver screen!

23. Pingback: A Filmmaker’s Journal | Mitch Teemley

24. Lucie says:

I definitely will need to see this film!!! (Forgiving “the unforgivable) is one of the areas of my “evolving” that I work on on a regular basis…..Every time I think of the concept of “forgiving the unforgivable”, I think of Hitler and I have such a struggle with “forgiving him”….takes me down a path I don’t like…..I’m so excited for you, Mitch!!! ❤