75 Years Ago

th

Thought for the Week

Mahatma Gandhi was assassinated seventy-five years ago. As is always the case when misguided, violent souls murder the innocent, the end they sought was not attained. The fledgling Indian government denounced and distanced itself from everything Gandhi’s assassins represented.

Inspired by the nonviolent teachings of Jainism and the life and words of Jesus, Gandhi had pled for peace between the more violent Hindu and Muslim nationalist factions, and striven to stand in the gap between them. This drove his assassins to try and remove his influence. But in taking his life, they did the opposite. Because…

True martyrs die preserving life, never taking it.

And therein lies their power. For love is infinitely more powerful than hate. Gandhi’s own children pled for the commutation of his killers’ death sentences (the assassins were, nevertheless, executed the following year). Their nation, like mine, is a work in progress. Love does not reign uncontested anywhere on this troubled planet. But neither has its voice been silenced, as witnessed by those Gandhi inspired, including my own nation’s modern martyr, Martin Luther King, Jr.

I hope I will never have to face the death that Gandhi faced. But if the time comes when I am called to stand in the gap between the innocent and the hateful, may I find the courage to do so.

May we all.

“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called the children of God.” ~Matthew 5:9

This entry was posted in For Pastors and Teachers and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to 75 Years Ago

1. bwcarey says:

Gandhi was so impressed with the Gospels, he approached the church, for further guidance, the value of a good doorman, amen

2. Thank you for this tribute and your willingness to be of use in the cause of love and peace.

3. Amen. Thank you, Mitch, and God bless.

4. Victoria says:

…”love is infinitely more powerful than hate”. Thank you, Mitch. 🤍

5. May we all, indeed, Mitch!

6. Excellent post; valuable reminder to us all. Thanks Mitch. ‘Standing in the gap between the innocent and the hateful’ is a great thought and aspiration.

7. #hood says:

matthew 5:07 & 09

8. Thank you for making me aware of this.

I think we will find that courage, just as others have in the past. Corrie ten Boom explained in her book, The Hiding Place, that courage comes as we need it, not before. I cling to that hope, desiring to honor God with my life even as I lay it down.

10. Gandhi was a gift to humanity. It’s certainly easier to love one another if we can forgive as he did.

11. Lesley says:

A wonderful post, Mitch. Thank you!

12. byngnigel says:

I remember reading his biography a year ago, and the profound impact it had on my attitude towards life. He honored God in his walk until the very end. And his legacy inspires even now. This was a great post Mitch.

13. Lisa Beth says:

For many years I aspired to the supposed Ghandi quote, “Be the change you want to see in the world”. Well, even if he didn’t say it, his life depicted it.
    Press on brother!

14. “Love does not reign uncontested anywhere on this troubled planet. But neither has its voice been silenced” I will be clinging to this little tidbit of optimism. Thank you!

15. What a post. Thanks you for sharing so eloquently this story of wisdom✌️🧘‍♂️

16. “Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” – Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

17. Inspiring, Mitch. Thanks. I needed that.

18. Anonymous says:

Those who go before us courageously inspire the courage within us to shine through. Thank you for sharing this reminder.

19. Amen! 🙏