So Many Holidays, So Little Time!

monkprayer“Look, brothers, I painted a selfie!”

Thought for the Week

Hey, it’s Cyber Monk Day–why is everybody shopping online when we should be deep in spiritual contemplation…about all the money we’ve spent? Yes, I know it’s Cyber Monday. It’s just that there’s so much spending going on I figure we’re all going to have to live like monks to pay our credit card bills!

Last week (after Thanksgiving), we had Black Friday the biggest buying day of the year, which I propose, given how many people regret their choices, should be followed by a new holiday called Misgiving.

And now it’s Cyber Monday, the second biggest buying day of the year. Since Misgiving hasn’t caught on yet, I suggest we call the day after Cyber Monday Destitute Tuesday.

Or better yet, assuming we do have some money left…

Let’s embrace Giving Tuesday, a very worthy holiday founded ten years ago and officially co-sponsored by the United Nations. You can even tie it to your traditional holiday gift-giving. Many charities (e.g. World Vision and Heifer International) have holiday catalogues that allow you to make donations in a friend’s or relative’s name.

Baby Lamb (hallmarkcards.com)Suggestion: Add a token item to the gift card, such as a small stuffed animal or figurine to remind them of the baby chicks or goats or farm implements (or?) that you’ve donated in their name. Because, face it, holidays come and go, but…

Love is here to stay.

β™₯

This entry was posted in Culture, Humor and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to So Many Holidays, So Little Time!

1. Victoria says:

Thank you, Mitch, for the Monday morning smiles and potent reminders…you had me at Cyber Monk Day! πŸ˜‰ I appreciate the blending of humor with inspiration to give. Always a good combo! ❀

2. Giving Tuesday deserves to be a thing!!!

3. I love the caption under the photo!

4. Amen, Mitch. We stayed home for the most part Friday and Saturday, so we did not have Misgiving or Destitute Tuesday. However, we are focusing on our year-end giving, which in the past we have notoriously waited until New Year’s Eve to do.

5. Manu says:

Made me smile. Have been flooded with emails and text with all the sales from every store around. I stay away from it all. So no misgivings or destitute Tuesday but I am all in for giving Tuesday.

6. K.L. Hale says:

Amen, amen, amen! A perfect post my friend!

7. radiosarahc says:

Ha, ha, ha this cheered my morning commute…..Black Friday somehow made it over to our shores too πŸ™„

8. 🀣🀣 if we had credit cards in my country , i would certainly soon be living like a monk to pay those bills

9. Wisdom wrapped in humor. A great gift for the holidays! God bless, Mitch!

10. Paula says:

Nice post.
    I donated to World Vision one year, designating my giving toward mosquito nets.

(Being from Michigan, I detest mosquitoes, and believe it’s even more evil when they make people die.)

11. Damyanti Biswas says:

Hahaha, this post really cheered me up πŸ˜€

12. I think I have only been in a store once on Black Friday (not counting grocery stores or convenience stores to buy food). I usually tell people that I think Black Friday sounds too much like Black Plague, and I want nothing to do with that.