A Lone Firefly

firefly_90707

I saw a lone firefly last night

Why didn’t you alight, small soul

before September? See, now your ember

will burn alone

You’ve missed your chance for hearth and home

your time to glow has long since ended

Or can it be there’s something only

you can see

Something so sweet and surpassingly free

that all else fades in its perfect Light?

Tell me, tell me, gentle soul

is it true?

And if it is, then swear you’ll take me

with you when you go

∴

Dedicated to my sister Linda Lee

This entry was posted in For Pastors and Teachers, Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

62 Responses to A Lone Firefly

1. That is a beautiful tribute, Mitch. Also very sad. I”m so sorry if this means what I think you are saying.

2. Delicate, lovely and haunting, Mitch. A sad, wistful, beautiful piece.

3. Paula Light says:

Beautiful 💕

4. Beautiful. ❤️

5. Aaysid says:

This is beautiful!

6. atimetoshare.me says:

Very touching words.

7. rwfrohlich says:

Evocative expression of longing for that which we cannot grasp.

8. The beauty of wonder here. Nice. God bless, Mitch!

9. dorahak says:

Just lovely. Captures that wistfulness that fireflies seem to evoke in us.

10. Mich says:

The fleeting fragility of life.

11. Love this. Taps a feeling that I try to keep at bay but nevertheless should be felt.

12. anitashope says:

So very touching.

13. We usually find our way to the windows at dusk to see what fireflies have stopped by to say hello. Even though our days have gotten cooler now, and the firefly season may have ended, after reading this I’ll keep checking for the next couple of weeks just to make sure they all get their due. Well done, Mitch.

14. jmfayle says:

Beautifully done. And a sweet honor for your sister. Good going, Mitch.

15. gpavants says:

Mitch,

Beautiful thoughts indeed. They shine brighter in the darkness.

16. American teacher and writer, Linda Lee?

17. I find this beautiful and a bit elusive, evoking a desire to read it again and again.

18. I concur with the comments of your other readers. A lovely, wistful poem.

19. pastorpete51 says:

Wonderful poem. Thank you! PS I always loved catching fireflies!!

20. Abe Austin says:

We have a lot of grasshoppers where I live, which hatch in the spring, grow through the summer, and plant their eggs and die in the fall. I’ve long imagined how strange it would be if I were the last of those grasshoppers still alive each season. Once surrounded by a great horde, now the only one remaining, perhaps oblivious to the fact that there will ever be any others. And after your mass extinction a new generation will rise, but one that never knows you were even here.

21. murisopsis says:

Haunting thought in the poem… a single beacon blinking in the night. Who will follow its light home?

22. Michele Lee says:

This is beautiful, Mitch. Linda Lee was my late aunt’s name. Gone too soon, she was like a mom to me. 💗

23. Even though I am not familiar with the seasons of fireflies, I was touched by the feelings of fleeting time evoked by this poem.

24. Sweet and lovely. We saw a bunch of fireflies the other night all around our backyard; it was beautiful and the grandkids were in awe. I realized it’s been a long time since I saw a firefly. I wonder where they’ve been hiding.

25. Derusley says:

I love your use of metaphor in this beautifully eloquent piece. It can mean so many different things to each of us. I see myself a wistful dreamer in this gorgeous firefly. ✨

26. I love this, Mitch. Makes me think that things are not always as I may first think them to be.

27. Small things count. Don’t they, Mitch? You showed us that so eloquently. Thank you!

28. Tears. Thank you, brother Mitch.

29. Lovely words for your sister. She’s a lucky gal.