“Never Give Up!” Blogging

Winston Churchill

Thought for the Week

WordPress is a large, genteel society built on the principal of mutual sociability:

1. Create a blog (“New tea shoppe now open for business!”)
  2. Write posts with suitable tag words (“Hallo, care for a cuppa me-tea?”)
  3. Your posts will show up in the WordPress Reader (“Tea is served!”)
  4. Other bloggers will see and visit you (“Hallo, heard you were serving tea.”)
  5. Many of them will “Like” your tea and possibly “Comment” on it (“Lovely, do please visit my tea shoppe, as well”). Some may even “Follow” you (“Ta! I’ll be back!”)
  6. You will then visit their shoppe, Like and possibly Comment on their tea, er, um, blog posts, and maybe even Follow them back (“I say, let’s make a regular thing of this!”)

Lovely. Only last week my shoppe hit a wall. Or at least a very thick mass of jungle growth (highly uncivilized for a tea shoppe). And so I had to find a digital machete to cut my way back to my beloved fellow tea lovers!

What happened? My email notifications caught a bad case of the stupids. “Like” announcements now tell me that “Cecil” or “Felicia” liked my post, but offer no links to their shoppe! And until two days ago, “Please Moderate” emails showed up completely blank (“We’ve blocked someone from entering your shoppe, hah-hah, but aren’t going to tell you who it is—jolly good fun, eh?”) Fortunately, the latter has been restored, but Like notifications are still being worked on by the good people at WordPress.

For those who’ve noticed my lack of etiquette in not visiting their shoppes of late, what can I say but that I am utterly beside myself with embarrassment! I have, however, decided not to sack my entire staff as they, well, own the shoppe, you see.

But I shall find a way! Currently, I’m using the WordPress “Bell” (notifications) menu to visit those who’ve Commented, Followed, and Liked my posts. This is an imperfect method in that it only tells me about some Likes, unlike email notifications, which until now informed me of all Likes. One other snag: the Bell menu sends me not directly to the blogger in question, but to our neighborhood bobby (Gravatar). But unfortunately, many shoppe owners have failed to update Constable Gravatar on their current location.

Nevertheless, I shall continue to be resilient (from the Latin resilīre, to “spring back”) and resourceful (from the Old French resourdre, “to rise again”)! And finally, to paraphrase Sir Winston, “I shall never give up!” I shall find my way back to you, dear friends…

Just in time for tea!

This entry was posted in Humor, Popular Culture & Entertainment, Writing and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

94 Responses to “Never Give Up!” Blogging

1. Jane Fritz says:

It wasn’t just your email notifications. What was WordPress thinking? As frustrating and unimpressive as all get-out.

• mitchteemley says:

No idea, Jane. My knowledge of computer code writing is pretty much on a par with my knowledge of, say, ancient Sumerian.

• Jane Fritz says:

In redesigning their email notifications without identifying the complete value of those notifications and how they’re used (which increases WordPress traffic and so is good for the company as well as the users), they’ve done their users and themselves a huge disservice. Sigh

2. Hmm. I have not experienced these WordPress glitches myself. Thanks for pointing out the bell here on my laptop screen. It works just like my WP Comments app! Neat.

3. ejstoo says:

Long morning. Just trying to get stuff sorted. Had to read it 2X to get it. Yeah, not the great day for thinking 😀

4. I think it was WordPress’s intent to remove the link back to commenters’ and likers’ blogs. Enough of us seem to be unhappy with the decision, though, that I hope they will reconsider. This is another of those tech “improvements” that aren’t. I suspect WP’s “Happiness Engineers” are getting an earful. Bless their hearts.

5. Gary Fultz says:

Ugh. I thought it was my old computer which takes long naps and has dementia.

6. I often think technology will be the death of me. Either that or Satan lives in the wires. I say this only half in jest (sigh).

7. K.L. Hale says:

Mitch, I just had my tea! Sip sip horray! Only you could create this beautiful script depicting our tea time on WP! By the way, I’m a Winston Churchill fan. I couldn’t “find” you on my reader for quite some time. My friend Martha Kennedy completely disappeared. It appeared to some that I threw out my tea in the harbor! Yikes! I’m still navigating the learning curves, or intense switchbacks, of WP! Stay blessed and healthy! Happy Monday!

8. Yes, something weird is going on with WordPress. I am getting full posts of those I follow under my notification bell……unwieldy and ridiculous.

9. Hope you iron the wrinkles out, Mitch. It’s frustrating when tech doesn’t do what it’s supposed to. Good use of humor here. God bless!

10. Bit of a sticky wicket, wot? Your response, though, is ticketyboo.

11. frenchc1955 says:

Hi Mitch, I have had the same issues!

12. Love the funny outlook and commentary to it. At first my thought was ‘oh good, I’m glad I don’t have those problems’. Then to my dismay, I realized…hey, I don’t have those problems. 😦

13. Mitch, thanks for raising this pesky technical issue with WordPress. My humble “tea shoppe” has also been hit. I’m not familiar with the “Bell” menu and opted for using the WordPress search bar. It’s not only time-consuming but also doesn’t include foreign-language blogs. Hoping that the problem is corrected soon.

14. I have heard that other WP users have encountered the same problem
    Hope it gets fixed soon 🌹

15. Erika says:

To be honest, I only go over the bell symbol for seeing and replying to comments and replies. My inbox would explode pretty soon if I got an email for every comment.

• mitchteemley says:

I totally understand, Erika. I put up with the crowed email Inbox because the email Like notifications are complete, and the Bell menu only tells me about some of them. As far as Comment go, those do seem to be complete on the Bell menu.

16. Last week I noticed that the WordPress email did a major format change. I haven’t been affect by it, but most likely they did something on their end. Hopefully they will fix it soon.

17. Sooo frustrating! Keep calm and blog on! ☺️

18. Kate Duff says:

Thanks for the heads up Mitch, may have to do some digging and ensure my shop staff are working properly when I’m not in. Difficult to get good staff you know

19. Uncoffined says:

Thanks for pointing out the software issue with WordPress, hopefully, they will fix it soon.

20. gregoryjoel says:

I assuming that since there is a comment thread that you will actually receive this. I was wondering what was going on with my site as well. Thanks for telling me about the bell!

21. Hurrah for that bell! Lots o’ interesting things under it.

22. capost2k says:

Make mine Earl Grey, if you don’t mind. 😎

23. Hey, Mitch, I’m starting to see a link to other bloggers who “liked” my posts again! It’s not showing titles of their posts, but it does get me to their blogs. 😃👍Maybe we got through!

24. Hope it all gets sorted. I loved how you explained WordPress using a lovely Tea Shoppe as your metaphor. Now I want a cup of tea with you! Hope you have a great day. Keep writing, I love your posts xx

25. Harshi says:

Hahahaha……love how you’ve shaped this post, Mitch! All the irritation is just swept away.

Yes, a lot of bloggers are facing this issue. Hope it gets resolved asap.

26. Thank you for this post…It explains it all..I just posted a humble (not clever) what is going on?
    I hope they fix this soon..

27. Drop on in, Mitch! The kettle is on, and the scones are in the oven. 🙂

28. Pingback: Something Has Changed on WordPress Likes & Comments | Digital Rabbit Hole

29. I appreciated your recent visit. ^_^ I have been neglecting my blog as well as the wonderful blogs I follow. Trying to get back into it all and catch up a bit. I miss reading what you and the others have to say. As for my end, I am hoping to have some more pictures from my recent trip loaded within the next few days. Health, time, and memory permitting I also am hoping to get back to being a regular visitor as well as writer. 🙂

30. leendadll says:

I think you’re worrying too much. But I don’t pay aylttention to my stats or who follows me. If I see comments from someone new, I eventually click through to check them out. But I don’t pay attention to likes and I disabled most email notifications.

31. thanks for writing, Mitch – this is very helpful!

sincerely,
    David

32. The rot is spreading worldwide. Until I started to see several bloggers complaining of the same thing, I thought my spam filter had gone into overdrive.

33. Damyanti Biswas says:

Ah, these glitches are the worst! Some days these things get to you like an itch that can’t be ignored.

34. murisopsis says:

Mitch I have noticed the same thing – of course my followers are only a few above 600 so it isn’t dire. I have been deleting my emails since they are worthless. Instead I just go to my comments page and run down that… It was convenient to do it on the phone but no more.

35. annieasksyou says:

Hi, Mitch—A charming invitation… I’ve been having that email problem too. It’s compounded by my inability to use the WP phone app since I “upgraded” and the new phone ate all my passwords and gobbled my cookies for dessert. I’m now dependent on Reader and computer, slowing down my likes and comments. We bumble along…

36. Piano girl says:

One lump or two? 😉🫖

37. Ann Coleman says:

The same thing happened to me! Now I get an email notification that someone has “liked” a post on my blog, but very, very few of them give the blogging address of the person who liked it. I used to always visit the blog of everyone who liked or commented on my posts. Now, I can’t! Why, oh why, does Word Press keep changing things, and not for the better? I am a patient person, but I can see the cay coming when blogging at Word Press may not be worth the effort……It is so frustrating! (And the last time I contacted them about a problem with tagging my posts, the “happiness engineer, or whatever they’re called these days, simply told me that my problems would be over if I switched over to block editor…..)

38. revruss1220 says:

Don’t stress over it too much, Mitch. With the number of followers you have, I consider it nothing short of a miracle that you might take the time to comment on one of my meager offerings. Although I have to say… WP does regularly frustrate me when things change that really don’t need to change. I would love to track back and sip someone else’s tea when they’ve been generous enough to sip mine.

39. Interesting article 👍
    Thanks for sharing 😊

40. Pingback: “Never Give Up!” Blogging – MobsterTiger

41. Tiana says:

Love this article, maybe you’ll love my articles? Come shop for some tea….

42. danavarroli says:

Tea? Blogging? What’s not to enjoy! You have my attention, Mr Mitch, and a charming article this is indeed. Thanks for bringing this to our attention in a droll manner. If you ever feel like reading about tech, music or books, be sure to visit my own blogs. I would appreciate the returned favour.

43. Jennie says:

Oh, when those WP gremlins appear… it’s enough to make anyone angry. You are the glass half full Mitch. Thank goodness.

44. Ugh, yeah, this latest set of WP “upgrades” were disastrously ill-conceived. I was so annoyed with the loss of any useful information in the email notifications that I opened a chat with them, which didn’t really go anywhere, and a few days later I registered another complaint via their ZenDesk, and this time they opened a GitHub issue for it. Come to find out via the GitHub link that, not surprisingly, they’ve gotten a TON of negative feedback on removing the commenter info from the email notifications, and they’re apparently working to put it back. They should have run this change by some actual users instead of just having their QC department go “yeah looks good roll it out” or whatever they did …

45. So, I’m not alone in my frustration. I usually use one of those “like” emails to visit the person’s blog (if it’s not familiar) or check out a post I might have missed. Clanging that little bell in the corner of the screen just doesn’t do the trick for me.
    On a related note, I’ve always thought of my post as being more like a coffee shop than a tea shoppe, mainly because I’m addicted to coffee, don’t really like tea that much, and figured out long ago that some people in my audience might get upset if it’s a liquor store.

46. you coined this write up artfully….i really enjoyed reading it…thank you Mitch.

47. The image of Winston intrigued me to read your post with curiosity, and the cups of tea hooked me in further, and I thought this was going to be a story about the English drinking their cuppas, but alas, I was pleasantly surprised to read a very intelligent and witty post about the recent WP changes, that seem to be thrust upon us, just as we get familiar with the system. Well done Mitch for highlighting this. Cheers, Steve

48. Ed Sum says:

There’s definitely a lot of maintenance to keep up with not only your blog but also with what others are saying and doing too. There’s SEO to which I’ve been having to really learn. Makes me wish there were more hours in the day to do everything in my blogging checklist.