Return and Rest!

'In returning and rest...' (youshalllive.com)

CaptureMy Featured Blogger this week is Lauren Mulvey. This is a unique and very special post in-as-much-as Lauren is the daughter of the late Bill Sweeney, whose blog Unshakable Hope many of you faithfully followed for years. Bill was and still is a spiritual touchstone and hero to countless people (including me). After his passing, I reblogged his wife Mary’s deeply moving post (June ’21). And now his daughter Lauren has added her own wonderful words to the mix. Has any family tree ever born better fruit than this one? I doubt it. Read Lauren’s post (and Bill’s and Mary’s) and you’ll see what I mean.

Unshakable Hope

I know we are all wishing right now that this post was coming from Bill Sweeney, but instead, I (Lauren, his eldest daughter) will share a little post in his honor. Last year, we were celebrating one last miraculous Christmas with Bill, enjoying his invaluable presence that was still with us. He told us a few weeks before (struggling to type with his eyes) that he knew his body and lungs were shutting down and that he was ready to “throw in the towel” and say goodbye to his ALS-depreciated body.”The jig is up,” he sarcastically typed to my mom. (He would always somehow find a way to make us laugh despite the heavy circumstances.) The past several years had been a long journey of near-death experiences and fighting to stay alive with the aid of my mother right beside him.

Every day of his 24-year journey of ALS, Bill…

View original post 940 more words

This entry was posted in For Pastors and Teachers, Quips and Quotes, Religion/Faith, Writing and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Return and Rest!

1. ejstoo says:

Sorry for your loss.

2. Thank you for sharing this, Mitch! I’ve heard a lot about Bill’s ministry from other Christian bloggers. His eldest daughter certainly has the same gifts of insightful encouragement.

3. Thanks for sharing Lauren’s message.

4. pastorpete51 says:

Tank you this is beautiful. I appreciate your sharing. I am still following Unshakeable Hope but this post got lost in the e-ther among other blogs. God bless –

5. Sara says:

Thank you for sharing this incredibly touching post. 💗

6. #hood says:

tag isaiah 55:40 hunger & thirst

7. Gelin says:

It’s my first time hearing of  him, but I admire how he  filled in his soul with hope.
    2Cor 4:16 is actually my  favorite verse.

8. I love this, thank you for sharing 🙏🏾

9. Thanks for sharing. Lauren wrote an amazing tribute and is an excellent writer herself.

10. K.L. Hale says:

Thank you for sharing this inspiration, Mitch. It’s a heart and eye-opener. 🙏🏻💚

11. laurenmulvey88 says:

Hi Mitch! Wow, I am deeply touched by your powerful words of encouragement. Also, thanks for the re-blog. I wasn’t necessarily itching to write, but I knew my dad would have wanted me to. I know we are all hearing God call us to more REST right now! Thank you, also, for the friendship and encouragement to my mom and dad. They have both separately told me about you, and I have enjoyed reading your blog!!! Thank you for your continual faithfulness to encourage the Body of Christ!

12. Mary Sweeney says:

Mitch, Thank you for sharing Lauren’s blog. I wanted to share something on the anniversary of Bill’s home-going, but I couldn’t find the words, then I understood why. It was because the Holy Spirit had spoken to Lauren’s heart to write something. Bill definitely lives in her, but more importantly, the Holy Spirit that lived in Bill lives in her.

13. Pingback: Return and Rest! – CURIOSIDADES NA INTERNET