Should I Celebrate My Own Birth?

Rcf1d66c88311e4aa9720f77e66957c76I hesitate to say, “It’s my birthday” because, well, merely soliciting “Congrats!” responses seems rather pointless. And, being an essayist, I always feel like I should have a point. But then, even as I type this, I realize I do.

It’s the very question implicit in my embarrassment at writing this post: Should I celebrate my own birth? My knee-jerk response, despite the fact that I’m inherently self-absorbed (i.e. a writer), is, “No, too self-absorbed!” But upon reflection, it occurs to me that this may, in fact, be one of the few occasions when it’s actually appropriate for me to celebrate myself.

I mean, there are still so many things I’m trying to fix about myself (there, you see how self-absorbed I am?), especially the one Big Thing behind all the little things—what the theologians call my “sin nature.” And yet, despite all these things. I really am glad I was born.

Why?

Because I love existing. I love having constant opportunities to grow. I love being able to love–others, that is, even if I’m sometimes rather bad at it, and, yes, even myself. But most of all, I love existing, so that I can love my Creator.

Therefore, ahem, thank you God, for giving me all of these things to do and to love. And, today at least, thank you for that first thing that made my doing all these other things possible: Thank you for, you know,

Me.

Image courtesy of Cake Designs.

This entry was posted in For Pastors and Teachers, Humor and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

163 Responses to Should I Celebrate My Own Birth?

1. Trev Jones says:

Happy birthday, Mitch.

2. billtonnis says:

Happy birthday, Mitch! My birthday was just last week, so happy birthday to me too 🙂 Would love to talk over a cup of coffee some day since I believe we are both in the same town. – Bill

3. Gail Perry says:

Of course, the thing you don’t mention here is that you are a gift to so many, so you should allow us to send birthday greetings and thank you for what you do, for who you are and for the things God has given you to do. I wish you a Happy Birthday and thank our God for you.

4. Bruce Cooper says:

Well I have to hand it to you Mitch, that is a first and I might add, I think you did rather well! Loved the logic you used and your summation was superb! So I will join with the many best wishes that will be forthcoming and celebrate, you know … you! Happy Birthday!

5. Happy Birthday to you!

6. Chocoviv says:

Happy birthday 🎂

7. Happy Birthday, Mitch! Why not celebrating the own birthday? Live was given to you! Michael

8. karanoel says:

Happy birthday, Mitch! I am very glad you were born because you reflect your creator in such a magnificently unique way 💕

9. Yes, you’re a gift to us! I haven’t followed you very long, but when your very name pops up, I feel a grin coming on.

10. My birthday is in two days (we were our mothers’ Mothers Day gifts). I live alone and have no nearby relatives, but I intend to celebrate. Two years ago (before the China stuff) I invited friends over for a brunch and donation to a church in Jerusalem. Lots of people came. Last year, I went to see friends when we were all supposed to stay inside. I took along a light bench, set it on their front porch, rang their doorbell, and we visited through their screen door. Made it to six friends’ houses.. Then I drove to the front door of a grocery store and rolled down my window with a $20 in my hand. A lady who worked there came over and I told her it was my 80th birthday and I wanted a little birthday cake. She went in, got it, delivered it, and I went home determined to eat it all. Gave up half way through. But it was a good day. I still haven’t decided what to do for myself this year; have 2 days to come to a decision. But it will be a good day. And in one way or another, I will celebrate me.

11. francisashis says:

Many happy returns of the day dear,God bless you abundantly.💐🎂🎶🌷🌹👌👏🎺🎸🍜🎹🎷💗

12. Mitch
    Happy Birthday!
    I am sure you know you share today with comedian George Carlin, skateboarder Tony Hawk and two of the stars from The Usual Suspects movie.
    Brad

13. God is celebrating with you. Enjoy the milestone.

14. LOL! I once changed my winter birthday to a Spring date. Everybody then celebrated me twice. 😄 Happy Birthday! I’m glad you are here in the world with us.

15. adguru101 says:

Happy Birthday!

16. Piano girl says:

I’m a believer in always celebrating birthdays! And birthday cakes. 😉
    Happy Birthday, Mitch!

17. Myself, my precious stepdaughter, my dear aunt, and my best friend, a lovely Navajo lady, all celebrated the day of our birth during the first week of this month. It was unanimously agreed among the four of us that May Babies are Best. 😀

Happy Birthday to You
    Happy Birthday to You
    Happy Birthday, Dear Mitch….
    And Many More, Too! ❤

18. Happy Birthday Mitch 🎂 🥳 🎉 🎈 🎁

19. You are a fearful and wonderful miracle of God’s personal handiwork, and VERY much worth celebrating. Happy Birthday, Mitch!

20. Erika says:

Happy Birthday, Mitch. 🎉I had mine last Friday. Yay to Tauruses🎉

21. A celebration of YOU is a celebration of the one who created Mitch, but you said it in such a Mitch style and fun way! Happy Birthday! I hope you are blessed with many more repeats of this milestone to let the joy of Christ shine through you.

22. trE says:

I’m glad you’re here another day, Mitch! Happy Birthday! 🥳🙌👏

23. River Dixon says:

Happy Birthday!

24. radiostudy says:

Well, duh! In gratitude for your gift of life from God as well as parents, of course! The more the merrier! And many of your family, friends, and followers would join you in the celebrations! Besides, what’s not to celebrate about the awesome gift of life?!

I recommend extending the time of celebration for as much as a month for BIG (x0) birthdays too, and if they’re REALLY big, throwing a party for yourself (as I did at 40 & 50), inviting people from all your communities and family branches to attend and get to know each other. It’s a great way for them to find out that they both know you, or to get acquainted and network. It’s especially helpful in uniting those who don’t know Jesus to those who do, and vice versa.

Besides, if you just ask them to bring shareable food, and have one group or another decorate, the expense doesn’t have to be high, and no one will be bored since you have an eclectic group of friends and family to chat and learn from each other.

Rejoicing that you’re alive, convinced others are too, grateful our paths crossed on earth, glad for your ongoing impact in our Father’s world, and anticipating with joy the eventual celebration together in the Throne Room!

25. The first time I read “I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made (Psalm 139:14), I thought it a little odd and self-congratulatory. But I get it – “YOU … MADE…” This is not about the creature but the Creator. (Happy birthday!)

26. GP says:

May 12th was my mother’s birthday too – so here ya go, whether you want Congrats or not!! 😉

27. Happy Birthday, Mitch! Hope it’s a wonderful one. 🙂

28. quiall says:

You should always congratulate yourself! After all you are a masterpiece in the making. Happy Birthday Mitch.

29. badfinger20 (Max) says:

I won’t say it Mitch…but thumbs up!…Oh what the hey…Happy Birthday Mitch!

30. numrhood says:

super mario bros

31. beth says:

Happy birthday!

32. gpavants says:

Hi Mitch,

Lots of reasons to be thankful for life. It is a gift and you have a second on to boot.

Happy Birthday,

Gary

33. M.B. Henry says:

Happy birthday!!! That cake is AMAZING

34. TEP336 says:

Happy birthday, Mitch! I too celebrate the day of my birth, but more out a sense of wonder and surprise that people have let me live this long. It can only be through the providence of God, because I’m not easy to deal with on a good day. 😇

35. junymond says:

Happy Birthday Mitch 🌈

36. Happy birthday Mitch – I hope you have a wonderful day!

37. Rocky says:

Happy natal celebration day.

38. I hesitate to say it as well, and yet it is…
    Looks like we have something in common!
    Happy Birthday Mitch!

39. Wish you a beautiful journey of self-discovery.

40. gregoryjoel says:

Happy Birthday Mitch! I only have time to follow a limited number of blogs but I follow yours religiously! Thank you and you are definitely worth celebrating!

41. Happy Birthday, Mitch! You have every reason to celebrate!!

42. lynn__ says:

I hope you enjoyed celebrating your birthday, Mitch! God bless.

43. lilyofthevalley777 says:

That’s right Mitch. You were fearfully and wonderfully made….so yes, celebrate the wonder full self that was knitted in your mother’s womb by the loving hands of the Creater of all life. 🎂🎁🕇❤

44. Gersom Clark says:

A blessed Birthday Mitch! May GOD inspire you more as you continue writing and producing films and articles for His glory! Keep on sharing funny posts too! Nice looking Mario cake!🎊🍰🍻🎶 🙂

45. annieasksyou says:

Shades of Walt Whitman: you celebrate yourself to sing yourself. And well you should! Hope you’re having a lovely day.

Cheers!
    Annie

46. You should! Happy birthday Mitch! May God richly bless every area of your life xx

47. Belated Happy birthday Mitch🎉Loved the post.

48. chattykerry says:

Happy Birthday, Taurus. I don’t like celebrating my birthday – always get too excited and then upset. Nothing has changed since I was 7 years old…

49. atimetoshare.me says:

Happy birthday young man🎈🎉🎂❤️

50. katesordinaryday says:

Happy birthday, Mitch. I hope you had an amazing day full of love, happiness, and cake!