Contentment

Thought for the Week

Old Covered Bridge, Ohio

During a recent Sunday drive, my wife and I stumbled across this wonderful old covered bridge above. It was an ordinary day (our original plans had fallen through) made special by warm conversation and a light fall of snow; note the blips in the photo. We didn’t own anything we saw that day. But we owned the day–and still do.

“In this universe everything has its rightful owner. If something does not belong to you then you shall not even have a bit of it. However, the fresh breeze over the rivers and the bright moon above the mountains are exceptions. If you can hear it, it is a sound for you. If you can see it, it is a sight for you. It never ends and it is never exhausted.” ~Su Shi (11th Century)

“Yes, there is a Nirvanah: It is leading your sheep to a green pasture, putting your child to sleep, and writing the last line of your poem” ~Kahlil Gibran

“(When) the picture of the fruit you have not found is still before you…you make the real fruit taste insipid by thinking of the other.” ~C.S. Lewis

“Never let the things you want make you forget the things you have.” ~Sanchita Pandey

One of life’s greatest challenges is to strive for what could be and ought to be, while learning to be content with what is.

φ

This entry was posted in For Pastors and Teachers, Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to Contentment

1. Kathleen Ellerman says:

Very meaningful for me today. Thank you!

2. Love these peaceful words.

3. Abe Austin says:

In the exact intersection of time and space where you are right now is your own, personal sphere. A bubble that you preside entirely over. Whether that location is designated as someone else’s legal property doesn’t matter, you are always the sole master of your immediate vicinity, the lord of your personal, private domain.

4. Dora says:

Sounds perfect. Made me think of James 1:17 (ESV) —
    “Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.”

5. Jane Tawel says:

Magical picture. And good thoughts as always.

6. A frame-worthy photo. Truly special, as I’m sure the memory you two made is as well.

7. Yu/stan/kema says:

Another home-run, Mitch.

8. What an unual covered bridge! I love the Su Shi quote. Words to live by, for sure.

9. revruss1220 says:

That photo is pure art. It does with an image what the quotes do in words; it captures the sacredness of the moment. This post is a real gift. Thank you, Mitch.

10. Matthew Diaz says:

I love your statement and comparison of what we can and cannot control. “We own the day,” I love it. May I quote you on that?

11. Aimee P says:

Love the picture!

12. Connie Cousins ccous67@gmail.com Writer for Centre County Gazette 814-203-3361

I would love to see the picture—it did not come through—yet the feeling and contentment of the day did come through. That is so much more important. Connie

13. All of them inspiring quotes to be remembered.

14. That is a stunning photograph! At first glance, I thought it was a painting. It has a Thomas Kinkade feel to it. Great quotes too.

15. Beautiful post. Thank you!

16. A lovely photo and post Mitch. It’s a tricky balance and these days I lean toward focusing more on contentment with what is.

17. Very meaningful post ended with wonderful quotes.

18. Ali Grimshaw says:

Thank you for this wonderful post. I especially liked what you shared in these lines. “We didn’t own anything we saw that day. But we owned the day–and still do.” ☮️

19. Pingback: Contentment – Sanzid Blog

20. Jennie says:

This is as good as it gets. The photo is wonderful!

21. gregoryjoel says:

“Actually, I don’t have a sense of needing anything personally. I’ve learned by now to be quite content whatever my circumstances. I’m just as happy with little as with much, with much as with little. I’ve found the recipe for being happy whether full or hungry, hands full or empty. Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me what I am.” (Phillipians 3.11-14 The Message). This is one of my favorite verses. Though I’m not always happy, I am fairly content. After this last year – my wife getting COVID and my son’s death – I know deep down that I can truly make it through anything “in the One that makes me who I am”.
    Great stuff Mitch!