Wage Peace!

Right now, my country and many others are in desperate need of peacemakers, people who can bridge the gaps that others cannot bridge. Peacemaking is the opposite of weakness, it is strength in its purest form. Yes, peacemakers use words, but they also take risks. Because standing in the gap between two angry factions means taking fire – from both sides. Still, if not now, when? And if not us, who?

Click on any image to enlarge it, or to begin slide show.

“The love of conflict is most evident when opposing forces join sides to defeat the peacemaker.” ~Criss Jami

“Be a peacemaker by creating peace whenever you can. If you find yourself engaged in an argument that only stirs anger in the heart, quickly make peace and carry on.” ~Suzy Kassem

“When there is peace in the self, there is peace in the world.” ~Abhijit Naskar

“Sometimes the simplest solution out of conflict is becoming someone’s friend, instead of saying goodbye forever.” ~Shannon L. Alder

“There is an unconscious influence about the true peacemaker that leads every man he meets to love his fellow men.” ~F.W. Boreham

“It’s useless to disarm the hands, if the heart remains armed.”      ~Bangambiki Habyarimana

“Kindness is universal. Sometimes being kind allows others to see the goodness in humanity through you. Always be kinder than necessary.” ~Germany Kent

“God sees the child He created in the fool that sees neither.”            ~Craig D. Lounsbrough

“A peacemaker is not merely someone who protests against the war; he is one who is inwardly so yielded to Christ in spirit and purpose that he can be called a ‘son of God.’ Where he goes, God goes and where God goes, he goes.” ~Francis Frangipane

This entry was posted in For Pastors and Teachers, Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Wage Peace!

1. atimetoshare.me says:

We need the perfect peacemaker to return. I know that isn’t going to happen by my command or demand, but I pray that God will use these horrific times to bring the Prince of Peace to earth again.

2. Peace is what we all need very badly, in our hearts and in our countries….

3. I pray for peace, but we Christians have no fellowship with darkness. Biden calling Patriots “domestic terrorists” is not going to bring peace. Democrats calling for Patriots to be put in camps and reeducated is not going to bring peace.
    “Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever?” -2 Corinthians 6:14-15
    I pray for peace, but I will not submit to the darkness of communism. I will not be yoked to them. I have no fellowship with them. God have mercy on America. God bless.

• mitchteemley says:

I understand, Ryan, but bear in mind, Paul is speaking about fellowship in 2 Corinthians, not governments. In Romans 13:1 he calls believers, who were living under a pagan dictatorship, to “be subject to the governing authorities.” By all means, campaign and vote your conscience, but Scripture does not call us to open rebellion against the government.

4. Clever Girl says:

I love the third quote. There are so many people who need to truly love themselves and find peace. When there is a war within, war is perceived everywhere.

5. While I agree that we need to wage peace, there is no peace without accountability. If by this you are suggesting that we should overlook the actions of our president, then I must faithfully and sincerely disagree. I would refer you to another quote from the prophet Jeremiah

They have treated the wound of my people carelessly,
    saying, “Peace, peace,”
    when there is no peace.
    They acted shamefully, they committed abomination;
    yet they were not at all ashamed,
    they did not know how to blush.
    Therefore they shall fall among those who fall;
    at the time when I punish them, they shall be overthrown,
    says the Lord.

Jeremiah 8: 11-12

6. While I agree that we need to wage peace, there is no peace without accountability. If by this you are suggesting that we should overlook the actions of our president, then I must faithfully and sincerely disagree. What we need is not only peace, but peace founded in truth. Until the President stops telling lies and takes accountability for his actions there will be no peace. I would refer you to another quote from the prophet Jeremiah

They have treated the wound of my people carelessly,
    saying, “Peace, peace,”
    when there is no peace.
    They acted shamefully, they committed abomination;
    yet they were not at all ashamed,
    they did not know how to blush.
    Therefore they shall fall among those who fall;
    at the time when I punish them, they shall be overthrown,
    says the Lord.

Jeremiah 8: 11-12

7. Let peace begin with me ❤

8. This is in line with two scripture verses that I was meditating on this morning:

Then He arose and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, “Peace, be still!” And the wind ceased and there was a great calm. ~Mark 4:39

Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. ~ John 14:27

Peace in the midst of a storm is a God thing!

9. I’m with you – more peace. More trying to understand each other. More helping each other.

10. rothpoetry says:

Great post Mitch! Peacemaking has been a real challenge this year for sure!

11. Thank you! I’m so inspired by this message!

12. Beautiful inspiration and photos. We all must project the love peace and harmony we hold within us out to the rest of the world so it can blend.

13. Thanks for your post Mitch. Such a difficult and painful week for our nation. We may never believe what other’s believe or even understand how they can believe it, but we can always choose kindness.

14. JOY journal says:

May this winter of the American soul start to melt. God is on the move.

15. I appreciate your post more than I can convey in writing, Mitch. Every quote was testimony to the fact that reconciliation is almost always possible, IF we are willing to open our fists and join hands.

You mentioned in a previous post that you are a moderate. Well, so am I. The middle of the street is not just for road kill, it’s also a great place for peaceful solutions to complicated problems.

Keep up the good work, brother.

16. It takes much more courage to wage peace than it does to wage war.

17. Thank you so much for sharing this. It does feel when there is love in one’s heart, when one’s heart can sometimes glimpse that each human within is like their own messy but precious children/and their own selves then certain words and actions towards others become less and less likely. Rage and fear and all it brings lightens, and is replaced by deep sadness. It can be hard to make sense of it all, and hard to express to others how one feels about the situation in any sort of way that can be understood. But it also feels ones perspective is being called for in some deep way. Very confusing to me.

Seeing your perspective and the words and images of the wise and strong people you shared is exactly what I needed. Thank you for this blessing.

18. Ann Coleman says:

A timely and much needed post, Mitch. Thank you! Sometimes it seems as if people are outdoing each other to see how badly they can act, and it’s time for brave souls to step to the plate and try to find a way to make peace.

19. jeanannwhd says:

so enjoyed all these quotes! my addition – Don’t hold hands with a snake.