Science Fiction Nativity?

Guest Blog by InsanityBytes

Gabrielle of InsanityBytes can be sweet (see her post “God Is Greater Than Our Heart“) or scathing. I don’t always agree with her, but I always appreciate her intelligence and wit. This post alerted me to the official Vatican Nativity Scene of 2020. And it’s, well, let’s just say no one, including Catholics, is sure just what it is.

A dystopian sci/fi creche? Let’s have a laugh, shall we? I am not usually an art critic (who am I kidding, of course I am, especially public displays that are just all new-fangled and beyond comprehension.) I’m also not one of those, “the end is nigh, stock up on spam and ammo” Christians, I’m just saying, if the world were about to end, this display would be a sign, a great indication that something has gone all awry with the human experiment.

Oh, dear. This is so downright terrifying it really is darkly comical. What in the world was Rome thinking? After all we have been through in 2020, the world sure needed some tradition, a stable influence, like literally a stable.

Instead, we get someone’s dystopian, science fiction vision? A surreal modern art version of the Nativity? I don’t know what to say, this thing kind of crosses so many genres all at once, I’m not sure where we’re even going? Is it Star Wars? Ancient Egypt? Leftover props found in someone’s garage?

I speak of course, of the Vatican Nativity 2020. This actually was the best photo I could find, the others look more like a scene 2001 Space Odyssey or perhaps an episode of ancient aliens. I have no idea what the astronauts are for. Magi perhaps?

Sigh. Praying the Lord delays His return until we can get this mess cleaned up and put away.

This entry was posted in Humor, Quips and Quotes, Writing and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Science Fiction Nativity?

1. Sue Cass says:

It looks absolutely demonic to me and no, no, no, we DO NOT want the Lord to delay His coming. He needs to come NOW! Merry Christmas Mitch to you and family.

2. Thanks, Mitch for the reblog, and for having laugh with me! I’m really not quite sure what that thing is, but it’s quite dreadful. 🙂

3. revruss1220 says:

Weird. And not even remotely sacred-looking.

Sorry, Vatican. Hard pass.

4. Everyone at the Vatican needs to be quarantined and tested for covid ASAP.

5. Now remember, that we’ve all heard that aliens landed in ancient Egypt and built the pyramids, so maybe, in some alternate version/reality, maybe, just maybe …

and that’s what the nativity would have looked like if it had happened in Italy – more of an error in geography really …

6. Angela Jelf says:

The way this was written made me chuckle – but the vatican’s nativity scene is not a bit funny – it’s just completely off the wall! What strange times we live in.

7. robstroud says:

I saw this about a week ago on a site devoted to Roman Catholic subjects. It’s caused quite a bit of consternation with Roman Catholics who are aware of it. (No surprise there.) As an “outsider,” (i.e. Christian but not RC), it’s difficult to comment on appropriately. If I were Roman Catholic, however, I would certainly have a personal opinion to offer.

8. TEP336 says:

I don’t wanna say it’s aliens…but, it’s aliens…where’s that dude from Ancient Aliens?

9. That is seriously weird. And very, very creepy.

10. Is this really true? From the Vatican, this year? Lol Sorry, but some of the old men their are very crazy. 😉 Maybe they will show us a remake of the movie “Planet of the Apes”, with the white clothed men, and their “Holy Bomb”. But not really nativity. Not our sacred wonder. Thank you for sharing. I think i have to send a fax to one i am knowing their. I need a explaination. Instantely! Have a beautiful weekend! Michael

11. Hetty Eliot says:

Catholic here. I didn’t even believe it was real when I first read saw it. All I’m gonna say is that some people thrive on sowing division and consternation and then play dumb when people get upset.

12. Jennwith2ns says:

Kind of reminds me of Stargate…probably because my husband and I are currently binging all the Stargates…

13. GP Cox says:

The sci-fi version may not be religious, it may be a bit creepy – but it does look covid-safe.

14. I. Have. No. Words. 😳🤦‍♀️

15. My guess is that the weird and creepy nativity scene may come from a perverse intensification of the same impulse toward trappings of modernity that led to the replacement of Latin by the vernacular in the mass.  While that replacement had both pros and cons, this new one has no pros that I can see.  Maybe the impulse to look “with it” or “woke” (or whatever) has run wild.

16. mitchteemley says:

Interesting update: The Pope doesn’t like it, either, and has suggested people view other more reverent depictions nearby, instead. Turns out the Vatican city council (not officially part of the Church) bought into the idea of assembling images from ceramics students–which weren’t originally intended for this use. Bad call, council members, bad call.

17. Would have loved to see what the baby Jesus looks like! But I like your take on it. Many critics are going so negative, it just comes of like “Humbug”.