Back to the Future (19th Century-Style)

The best version of the future is in the past, and its name is Steampunk.

At age 5, I saw the movie 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, and fell in love with the Disney version of the Nautilus submarine, and with the science-fiction of Jules Verne. Later, at the ripe old age of 9, I saw the movie version of The Time Machine and had recurring dreams about the titular device from the H.G. Wells novel. In my 20’s, I actually had a chance to buy the movie prop, and am still kicking myself for not doing so! Those two movies introduced geeks like me to the future as envisioned by Victorian sci-fi pioneers, and set the stage for an alternative universe of collectible models, art, and even functional devices called steampunk! So geek out with me for a few and enjoy this trip… Back to the Future, 19th century-style.

Click on any image to enlarge it, or to begin slideshow.

This entry was posted in Humor, Popular Culture & Entertainment and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Back to the Future (19th Century-Style)

1. boromax says:

Such a wonderful, fantastic collection of photos; and of course the objects themselves – WOW! I love steampunk. Those writing pens! The guitar! The violin! The insects! The toilet!!!! Well done, Cubby.

2. revruss1220 says:

Incredible! Amazing minds behind these contraptions.

3. M.B. Henry says:

I’ll take that violin please!

4. Um, I don’t think toilet and time machine belong together.

5. What cool images. Too bad you didn’t pick up a prop, but we all have those things we kick ourselves over. 🙂

6. Carla says:

Wow, these are amazing contraptions and devices. Thanks for sharing.

7. This looks amazing! I’ve never seen anything even remotely similar to this… Thanks for sharing!

8. GP Cox says:

I have to share this post with an author doing a steampunk story! She’ll love it!

9. Yes, steampunk is fun! A more recent film that comes to mind is Chitty-Chitty Bang-Bang, which though arguably not steampunk, has some steampunk-like inventions, along with Rube Goldberg-like contraptions. I haven’t read 10,000 leagues under the sea or the time machine yet but they’re on my list! I just finished Journey to the Center of the Earth and can officially say I admire the ingenuity of Jules Verne.

10. Candice says:

I love Steampunk, and these photos. I have a steampunk costume that I wear to comic cons. I also have a Star Trek original series costume, and the fifth Doctor Who costume, all hand made by me.

11. excellent. the photos are just classic

12. Jeff says:

I love those images. Especially the guitar and violin! But the guitar doesn’t look like it would be very comfortable to hold and play. Haha!