A Different Kind of Mask

Thought for the Week

“We are intensely attached,” Matthew Kelly observes, “to being perceived in a positive light, even by people we don’t know and will never meet—perhaps most telling, we even 'Self-Portrait With Mask' by Felix Nussbaum (1928)want to be perceived positively by people we don’t like. In short, we want everyone to like us. This of course leads us to present ourselves in ways that are inauthentic. This is a recipe for disaster. I am never happy when I pretend to be someone I am not. The birth of social media has put this pretending on steroids… We seem more interested in pretending to live interesting lives than actually living interesting lives. (Instead), we should see social media as a way to bring a positive message of hope to a realm filled with so much negativity and hopelessness.”

When will we stop wearing masks? Not the COVID-19 kind, but the kind we were wearing long before this pandemic began? The kind that hides who we are? The kind that keep us from infecting our culture with the “virus” of hope it so desperately needs?

“Live life with a due sense of responsibility, not as those who do not know the meaning of life, but as those who do.”

~Ephesians 5:15

This entry was posted in For Pastors and Teachers, Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to A Different Kind of Mask

1. Very well written and well said!

2. Heidi Viars says:

GREAT thoughts!!! Interestingly, I just wrote about the wrong mask as well. … with a slightly different point … https://heidiviars.com/2020/09/20/the-wrong-mask/ Thanks … you always encourage us to think, Mitch!

3. Zoewiezoe says:

I fear the answer is always going to be: never…..

4. Important message for our day. God bless, Mitch!

5. c.f. leach says:

Mitch. I don’t know what I’m going to do with you. It’s as if we are spiritual relatives. Right now I am working on a 3 part segment entitled. “How to Survive Spiritual Legalism” and Part One is all about what you’ve just written. Confirmation. But I am not going to post it until after next week. Blessings and Peace.

6. BoardFlak says:

Unfortunately, wearing masks is such a habit that we even try to do it before our Heavenly Father, though we know it cannot work.

7. Pam Webb says:

Interesting timing. We just covered Paul Dunbar’s “We Wear the Mask”.

8. I doubt Jesus wore a mask. Though many in the church that use his name and power almost certainly do. Thanks for sharing

9. Kellie says:

Great post! Makes me think of a Seinfeld episode when George had to be liked, even by someone he didn’t like 🤔😃

10. Never a truer word Mitch! Are we of the World or of Christ?

11. Fake people are to many nowadays. Social media made it worse. Agreed with your sentiments

12. kathy says:

A timely reminder about the true masks we all tend to wear. I love this verse from Ephesians!

13. Ann Coleman says:

I completely agree. I think we’ve always had a tendency to “wear masks” that show the world what we think it wants to see, but social media has made it a huge problem. People rarely just enjoy an experience any more, the must photograph it (in the best possible light) and post it. It’s as if it’s not shared on social media, it didn’t really happen!

14. Too many fake lives on social media and still some people are comparing their lives with what they see. We need to encourage people to be true to themselves and to live right. Say no to social media masks. Say no to pretending what you are not.

15. Pingback: A Different Kind of Mask — Mitch Teemley « themeonnblog