35 Years Ago Today

It didn’t make world headlines, but 35 years ago today I married a woman who changed my life forever. Oh, I’d been “in-love” a few times before, only to have those all-important giddy-gooey feelings fade away. But then, nearly a decade later, now a commitment-shy bachelor, I met a woman who wasn’t just pretty or smart, she was, as corny as it sounds, deep.

Trudy2 1982Yes, she was pretty. Seriously pretty. But as I got to know her I felt something more than the giddy-gooeys, something that surprised me: admiration. She made me want to be a better man. She didn’t just share my love for God, she amplified it. And somehow I amplified hers. But we were wary, both of us, and commitment shy. There were just too many expectations in “having a relationship.”

So we broke up.

Some months later, we ran into each other at a concert. Minus the complications of wondering whether he or she was “the one,” we simply talked. And it was wonderful. Soon we were talking constantly, calling to recap our day, getting each other’s insights and advice. Without the former expectations, we’d acquired something better than “a relationship,” we’d become best friends. We’d abandoned the locked and security-alarmed front door of love, and stumbled in through the unguarded back door.

The giddy-gooeys no longer mattered. I simply wanted to be with her, to keep going, to share life with her. And miraculously, she felt the same. So for Two-shot 2the first time, as best friends, we kissed.

And it was the best kiss ever.

35 years on, all I want is more: More of her. More of us. More of God.

More of life together.

This entry was posted in For Pastors and Teachers, Humor, Memoir and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

155 Responses to 35 Years Ago Today

1. Congratulations! What a beautiful testament to the covenant of marriage. It is a joy to hear of long-lasting commitment when so many don’t know of it or have never seen it role modeled. A milestone worthy of a celebration.

2. Congratulations! Beautiful couple. 💕

3. robstroud says:

Congratulations, Mitch.

God blessed me with the same kind of wife and we’ve been joyously growing together in Christ since we were married during America’s bicentennial.

4. Congratulations sir! Happy anniversary.

5. Happy Anniversary to you both. ❤ What lovely words and pictures, Mitch. So many blessings. x

6. Congratulations to a lovely couple! Happy Anniversary.

7. Chioma says:

Happy Anniversary! I thank God for preserving you both

8. Paula says:

I’ll be that kiss even beat — by miles — the kiss in “The Princess Bride.” Congratulations.

9. Happy anniversary to you both. Our almost 43 years together are attributable to Christ’s guidance in our lives. Our marriage would have been in shambles without Him.

10. Ann Coleman says:

Happy Anniversary! What a lovely tribute to your wife and to marriage!

11. Happy Anniversary. Wishing you both a lifetime of bliss.

What a delight to read about your “happily-ever-after” marriage. Congratulations on achieving 35 years of togetherness–and still looking forward to more!

13. cheriewhite says:

Such a beautiful tribute to your wife! Happy anniversary. Wishing the both of you a beautiful rest of your lives together.

14. Kathryn says:

One of my favorite posts! I love seeing husbands honor their wives and vice versa. It speaks a lot about your faith. Thank you for being so kind to share with us 🙂

15. gracespeaker says:

Congratulations! Beautiful testimony of love done well.

16. K.L. Hale says:

What a beautiful love story. I feel the love of God even more through the witness of you both. Happy Anniversary and may HE keep you safe and sound together many more year.

17. Dolly Vas says:

Happy anniversary. You both meet to each other in seven birth. Pic is amazing, you both are looking gorgeous. 🙏

18. Laura Jinkins says:

I just saw this post and it made me cry happy tears. Happy belated anniversary!!! I have been with my beloved husband for over 28 years. Yesterday, at the advice of an attorney, he resigned from his job of 22 years. Something he posted online was taken out of context and termination was inevitable, so he resigned before he could be fired. As scary as that seemed, once it was done, we both felt the most amazing sense of relief. This morning as he polished his resume and applied for several positions in our area, we talked about how this may be the thing God uses to move him into something even better. Yesterday my beloved was angry, but God really moved in his heart last night. We aren’t sure what’s ahead, but we both know the Lord has it (and us) in the palm of His hand.

19. Jorge Medico says:

Congratulations! Sometimes, it’s better to be lucky than smart 🙂

20. Dalo 2013 says:

“She made me want to be a better man.” ~ these are the ones who bring so much love and value into life. Congratulations!

21. Ananta Riperseno says: