Caricatures

Caricatures have been around for as long as people have. When we mock or tease someone, we do it by caricaturing them–exaggerating their features or mannerisms. My acting students once did a “celebrity roast” of me, imitating little idiosyncrasies I barely knew I had. When I said, “Really?” they all shouted back, “Yes, really!” Caricatures may be affectionate or cruel, but they are always instructive, either about the subject or the caricaturist. As long as there are individuals, there will be caricatures—and God forbid we should ever cease to be individuals. But let us be careful never to become caricatures of ourselves.

Click on any image to enlarge it, or to start slide show.

“A caricature is putting the face of a joke on the body of a truth.” ~Joseph Conrad

“There’s nothing needs such mathematical precision as a wild caricature.”              ~G K Chesterton

“All cartoon characters and fables must be exaggeration, caricatures. It is the very nature of fantasy and fable.” ~Walt Disney

“The ones who constantly make us laugh are the hardest of friends to know – for comedians are the caricatures among us.” ~Criss Jami

“What’s natural is beautiful, and when you’re not you anymore, you become a caricature.” ~Monica Bellucci

“Caricature is rough truth.” ~George Meredith

“This above all: to thine own self be true,

And it must follow, as the night the day,

Thou canst not then be false to any man.”

~William Shakespeare

This entry was posted in Humor, Popular Culture & Entertainment, Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Caricatures

1. Beck says:

All these are great. I’m trying to figure out which is more terrifying Jack Nicholson in person or in caricature! 😂

2. Dora says:

The only one I didn’t get right off the bat was Meryl Streep, but she fades so completely into her roles, you won’t take any points off will you?🤫

3. “God forbid we should ever cease to be individuals.” Amen! And God forbid we should lose the ability to laugh at ourselves.

4. gpavants says:

Mitch,

Holy cow, Hilary looks crazy. Young Franken-steeen!

Love it,

Gary

5. What happened to Obama’s face?! Oh geez. I can’t stop laughing.
    I can’t place all though.

I love it!

6. I hope I never become a caricature of myself!

7. Entertaining and important reminder to not allow ourselves to morph into something that does not reflect our truth.

8. Great!

9. These are great. It’s amazing how they are still so recognizable. Great post!

10. Hetty Eliot says:

My fiance got one done and it was so mean but you couldn’t say any of the points were wrong! It’s hysterical how something can be so cruel but so funny!

11. clcouch123 says:

I think I like. I don’t know, in force they kinda creep me out.

12. Paul says:

I saw this a few days ago, and I’m still thinking of that quote: let us not become caricature’s of ourselves! Thanks

13. SLIMJIM says:

Good point about being careful of being caricature of ourselves