Back to School – Ready or Not

Some schools resume as early as next week in the U.S. Others will open in the coming weeks, some later still. Some, in theses uncertain times, have postponed starting, School - Pre-Pandemicor decided to launch their fall terms online. The only thing that’s still certain, that never changes, is our responsibility to care for the next generation, to set them moving in the right direction.

After some years off from teaching, I’ll be meeting my new mentee tomorrow! We were matched-up by a local social service organization. How do I feel? Scared. And excited. And not just because of the pandemic, or because of my busy writing and producing schedule. But because of the responsibility that comes with impacting another life, no matter what form School in the COVID Erathe teaching or mentoring may take.

But in the end, we as parents, teachers and mentors, must let the arrow fly and trust the Archer of souls.

“You may give them your love but not your thoughts,

For they have their own thoughts.

You may house their bodies but not their souls,

For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,

which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.

The Archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,

and He bends you with His might

that His arrow may go swift and far.

Let your bending in the Archer’s hand be for gladness;

For even as He loves the arrow that flies,

so He loves also the bow that is stable.”

~Khalil Gibran

This entry was posted in For Pastors and Teachers, Poetry, Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Back to School – Ready or Not

1. How lovely that you are a mentor, Mitch. ❤ for tomorrow. Khalil's words are profound and thank you for sharing because I had not seen these thoughts of his before.

2. My grandson was supposed to go back to school this week! Seems early, but then they got out REALLY early. 😉

3. V.J. Knutson says:

Love the Gibran – timeless message.

4. revruss1220 says:

Blessings and good luck. Thanks for serving the community this way and choosing to influence a young life. Love the Gibran verse.

5. Wow! This message is exactly what I needed to read today. Khalil Gibran’s quotation is going on my fridge door as a reminder to keep trusting the Master Archer – one day, one arrow at a time. As a foster parent, I’ve been uneasy about school starting up again. I wish there were more than a like button – I love this. The quote is a great reminder of all the reasons I do what I do. Blessings to you and your young mentee.

6. Good choice of poem to accompany this post! I hope you enjoy your role as mentor.

7. Piano girl says:

Thank you! A lot of anxious thoughts over here concerning school. 🙏

8. Pingback: Back to School – Ready or Not — Mitch Teemley – Kristalin Davis' Musings on the Human Condition

9. It’s the same here. Will be interesting to see how many parents defy the government threats of fines.

10. Beck says:

What a beautiful piece by Khalil Gibran. He is one of my favorites.
    I opted to homeschool my kids this year… which I’ve done off and on anyway, but it is a terrifying responsibility. I can completely relate!
    Good luck to you. May the peace of God rule your heart as you move forward. Blessings!

11. Love this message!
    Hi dear, I have a page on movie reviews. Please subscribe my Blog. Shower your love on my Posts 🌼

12. Ann Coleman says:

Beautiful! And I have no doubt you will be a terrific mentor.

13. In the NYC area teachers are uneasy. They stopped reporting how many school employees died after it reached 100 in the spring. Regardless it is a concern.

14. Yay Mitch! So glad you’re doing this. I know the kids you’re going to mentor and you’ll be a wonderful person for him. He has a really sensitive spirit.

15. clcouch123 says:

Congratulations on mentoring! I hope your first day goes splendidly.

16. BluePansies says:

This is a nice article! Much needed during this time. I found an article that has been helpful for distance learning. May I share it with you?