Survivors, Not Victims

“Someone once asked me how I hold my head up so high after all I have been through. I said it’s because no matter what, I am a survivor, not a victim.” ~Patricia Buckley

There’s a lot of talk of survival these days. But many have survived far worse. Some through Providence. Some through raw courage. Many through the intervention of others (and not always humans). Yes, this pandemic will change us, is changing us. All of us. Some for better, some for worse. Those who survive through fear and total isolation, for worse. Those who survive through helping each other, for better. The choice is ours.

Click on any image to enlarge or start slide show. Also: Read the captions! And don’t miss the quotes below.

“Even in times of trauma, we try to maintain a sense of normality until we no longer can. That, my friends, is called surviving. Not healing. But those of us who have made it thru hell and are still standing? We bare a different name: warriors.” ~Lori Goodwin

Before you were born,
And were still too tiny for
The human eye to see,
You won the race for life
From among 250 million competitors.
And yet,
How fast you have forgotten
Your strength,
When your very existence
Is proof of your greatness.
You were born a winner,
A warrior.
Why do you even doubt victory
Against smaller numbers,
And wider margins?

~Suzy Kassem

“The power we discover inside ourselves as we survive a life-threatening experience can be utilized equally well outside of crisis, too. I am, in every moment, capable of mustering the strength to survive again—or of tapping that strength in other good, productive, healthy ways.” ~Michele Rosenthal

“Courage is found in unlikely places.” ~J.R.R. Tolkien

“Sometimes even to live is an act of courage.” ~Lucius Annaeus Seneca

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” ~Winston S. Churchill

“Confront the dark parts of yourself, and work to banish them with illumination and forgiveness. Your willingness to wrestle with your demons will cause your angels to sing.” ~August Wilson

This entry was posted in Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Survivors, Not Victims

1. mitchteemley says:

Sorry about all the typos in the captions. I don’t know why, but changing them after posting alters the order of the pictures I’ve so carefully arranged. Arrgh!

2. francisashis says:

Wow!Very well said.I love your reply; Survivors,not victims !!!!!Very inspiring .Thanks a lot for sharing it.Take care.🌹👍🙏

3. revruss1220 says:

Amazing tales of survival. I guess when you are the only one who can remove your own appendix, you just bite the bullet and DO IT! Right?

4. Very inspirational post🙂🙂

5. Awesome pictures, as always. Except I don’t get the one of the guy in the striped shirt? Is there a story behind that one?

6. Bella Sasa Tati says:

Such a humbling post, as a survivor myself – I’m inspired

7. yakpro2015 says:

You do realize the tiny pug in the palm of a hand is a painted rock…

Joseph Yakovetic 4480 Powderhorn Place Drive Clermont, Florida 34711

mobile: 909.241.6088

SDG Soli Deo Gloria “To God Alone the Glory”

8. Great post; striking images too!

9. boromax says:

I like that a couple of the quotes take it beyond being a survivor to being a warrior!

10. Those are some incredible stories of survival.

11. Piano girl says:

“…survive through helping each other.” Thank you for that beautiful reminder.

12. Heidi Viars says:

I would like to unsee someone cutting his own appendix out 🤢

13. Hetty Eliot says:

They’re amazing pictures, yet somewhat unsettling, reminding us of mortality.

14. clcouch123 says:

The quotation of August Wilson is especially moving. The slideshow is impressive, image and text.

Surviving is good, as is the appellation of survivor. Victim, unfortunately, carries the connotation of not expecting anything from that person. Surviving and survivor mean more is coming.

Thank you for putting this all together!

15. “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” I like that quote, and such intriguing images; thank you for sharing. I would be remiss if I did not share a quote in kind. “Everywhere and in all things, I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” Apostle Paul (Phil. 4:12-13) Blessings and have a nice weekend.

16. Christo N says:

Beautiful post, you’ve never failed if you never give up.

To be a survivor is an excellent thing to be, with all some of us been through myself included we learn that life is precious and have pride for what we have overcome.

17. M'bolla says:

Thanks for sharing Mitch. Absolutely! It will be great if we become survivors to being victims. Moreover,in these trying times,we need the help and support of those in our lives inorder to make it through

18. This brought tears to my eyes, Mitch. I could not agree more. ❤

19. LaRonda Bourn says:

Great post! It reminded me of this 3-minute video: https://youtu.be/1E3Wr2AoEho. It’s been one of my favorites for a while now.

20. “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts”
    I believe 🌼