In Praise of the Almost-Ordinary

Last weekend my wife and I passed a milestone, one that wouldn’t have even been an inchstone until 2020. Is there such a thing as an “inchstone”? Well, no. And that’s my point. Because you don’t celebrate ordinary things until you’ve lost them and then gotten them back—even if just a little.

And what, you may ask (but hurry up, I have a sentence to finish), is this inchstone of almost-ordinariness? Going to “the movies.” Not streaming Netflix while cocooned in our den (although we’ve done plenty of that lately), but walking into a theater lobby, buying tickets, and settling in with buttered popcorn and overpriced sodas in-hand!

It’s something we’ve done countless times, and especially enjoyed on sweltery summer days like these. You know, days when a healthy walk in the park sounds oh-so un-inviting and consuming empty calories amid the HVAC-breeze of a darkened movie theater sounds oh-so alluring?

I admit, I loved it. But I didn’t blog about it, because it was ordinary.

But then the world changed. The last time we went to a movie theatre it was too cold for a walk in the park. It was also the last weekend before the lockdown began and theaters closed.

Of course, this weekend’s outing was only almost-ordinary.

• The movie was a “small” one we’d normally have watched online
  • It was playing at one of the few theaters that are currently open
  • The ticket-seller wore gloves behind a bullet virus-proof barrier
  • Two out of three rows were roped-off
  • We wore masks when we weren’t in our seats
  • Only three other people were actually in the theater

Still, it was almost-ordinary, and I’ll take almost-ordinary over ab-ordinary, which is what this mad year has been.

So, am I against masks and social-distancing? Of course–and of course not. The facts are there, unless you subscribe to the “alternative facts” (I don’t). And, no, I don’t find acceptable the Darwinian-Spanish Flu “solution” of establishing herd-immunity by letting millions of weaker “cows” die.

So, what’s the alternative? To patiently appreciate each new stage of almost-ordinary, and to help each other along the way…

Until the blessed ordinary returns.

This entry was posted in Humor, Movies, Popular Culture & Entertainment and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to In Praise of the Almost-Ordinary

1. Lesley says:

Masks are becoming a fashion accessory. I love the bride’s one in your picture.

2. Thanks for the photos… I got a good laugh from a few of them.

3. Kim Smyth says:

I miss going to the movies! Buttered popcorn, yum!! I’m so jelly! Love the silly masks, I just have a flag pull up style mask, that I hate, but it’s better than the kind that go behind your ears! Those keep getting caught in my earrings! LOL

4. M.B. Henry says:

Ha! I like the dentist one haha. And boy do I miss movie theaters 😦

5. Piano girl says:

That is one thing I also miss-going to the movies. As always, I appreciate your perspective! 🙂

6. I get my almost ordinary from going out to dinner, and three lunches with friends. Our theaters aren’t open, and they closed back down bars and gyms (neither have I been frequenting, but regret their loss of business), but we can still go out to dinner. YAY!

7. Dolly Vas says:

🤗🤗🤗 really enjoy.

8. c.f. leach says:

Kinda Sorta But Not Really. LOL. What a cute post….really enjoyed it. Blessings and Peace.

9. revruss1220 says:

You’re a bold, daring couple. And I am totally jealous.

10. Ann Coleman says:

I’m glad you got to go to the movies! Yes, masks are at total pain, but they are also what enable us to live as normal a life as possible during this pandemic, so I wear it anyway. And I loved the one that the dentist was wearing! The only problem is that I’d have a hard time not laughing while they worked on me….

11. Raven ❤️ says:

What a beautiful thought provoking post.
    Ordinary was definitely under rated
    X