Warning: Prayer is Dangerous

Moses_Pluchart

I asked God for advice, and he said, “OK. Change.”

I replied, “No, no, there you go again misunderstanding my requests!”

Warning:

If you ask God for guidance, he’s going to tell you to change.

This is why prayer is so unpopular.

“I will not offer to the LORD my God sacrifices that have cost me nothing.”

~2 Samuel 24:24

This entry was posted in For Pastors and Teachers, Humor, Quips and Quotes, Religion/Faith and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Warning: Prayer is Dangerous

1. Live this.. So very very true!

2. John Purvis says:

Once again, you hit thr nail on the hrad. This is so applicable in my own life. Thank you, Mitch!

3. Gail Perry says:

Are you sure there’s no other answer? Really sure?🙏🙏🇨🇦

• mitchteemley says:

Of course there is, Gail. God offers all kinds of advice. But, for me, at least, it pretty much always includes “change.” Which, I believe, is another way of saying, “Follow Me.”

• Gail Perry says:

It was a tongue-in-cheek response, as you likely guessed. We often ask God’s advice when we reach the end of our particular road. Change is clearly required, perhaps even a complete one. Repentance. Turning back to God. Somehow, I think you and I agree on all of this!

• mitchteemley says:

Exactly, Gail! But, sadly, there are a lot of folks out there who don’t get what discipleship is, whose understanding of faith begins and ends with “get saved and go to church.”

4. Yeah. Prayer is a presumptuous affair, for man believes he is speaking to Diety. But, Faith in the existence of God is prerequisite to prayer . . . for he who come to God in prayer believes that He Is.
    (Hebrew 11:6) Thanks.

5. numrhood says:

2 samuel 49:49 samuel had engraved with his palm of his hands.

6. Tanya says:

Hmm it’s deep!

7. There is an extremely elderly hymn, which used to be used as the ‘processional’ hymn on Festival Sundays. One kind springs readily to mind in connection with your shrewd post … “From glory to glory advancing; we praise thee O Lord!” … we are changed from our glory to another, eternal glory as the Spirit works within us… so yes the Creators longing advice would be ‘change’ He has the power and desire to do it, so Amen

8. clcouch123 says:

I enjoy the dialogue and appreciate the warning that prayer has power.

9. Hetty Eliot says:

Yeeeaaahhh.. he’s called my bluff a couple of times..

10. Beck says:

True! True! In 2019 I asked for the ability to TRUST. I struggle with that. That year everything including the kitchen sink was thrown at me. If I ask why questions it is never “why me?” Like woe is me, it is always “ok, why?” Like help me figure me figure this out. At some point I had this very clear thought “in a relationship how can you TRUST if you don’t walk through some serious crap” (stronger language was used but I’ll spare you) Throughout the entire year what I learned was: I AM SAFE. I guess it was great timing and meant to prepare me for 2020! Ask and you shall receive— Be careful what you ask for, right?
    God is always True: Truth sometimes hurts. Like when He says “change” ouch! But boy, isn’t it true?

• mitchteemley says:

Amen, Beck. Just this morning I read Jesus’ words, “Small is the gate and narrow the way that leads to life.” Couple that with the Apostle’s teaching on the value and purpose of “perseverance” or “endurance” and it’s clear that God is out to transform us, not make us feel good. You’re on the right path!

11. c.f. leach says:

Part of the problem with the human condition is the dislike of change or being challenged to come out of one’s comfort zone. Whenever we go to God the first thing we must submit to is a new mindset, otherwise asking Him anything is like an question mark floating in the wind. Great Post! Blessings and Peace.

12. Live dangerously. Pray dangerous prayers. “Thy Kingdom come; Thy will be done…”

13. Ann Coleman says:

And here I thought God was just being a little dense when he didn’t answer my prayers exactly the way I thought he should! Me, change? Why would I do that???
    Seriously, though, you nailed this one!

14. lynn__ says:

Painfully true, Mitch. BTW, I watched your movie, “Healing River”… it moved me!

15. Michael says: