My First “I Love You”

26f42f170e787f5c8a75f1651a40db35Summer Memories (Part Two)

(To read Part One, click here

I was on the “island of romance.” Alone. I grabbed a burger with some buddies and swam with the Catalina goldfish. But they weren’t as pretty as her. Her being Martha. What was I thinking? I was flying next week to be with my Texas fling…whatzername. I spotted Martha and Ted several times that day. Goldfish notwithstanding, my day sucked.

When we regrouped on the steamship that evening, I spotted her. Alone. “So, where’s Ted?” I asked.

“He wanted to be by himself.”

“But I thought you were—”

“No. His girlfriend broke up with him, and I just thought he’d like some company, but…” She was like that. Kind.

“Want some cocoa?” I asked. The trip to L.A. was blessedly chilly, the kind that makes you want to sip cocoa and cuddle with someone. So after watching the flying fish sail by (a Catalina must), we found a bench and did just that.

And then we kissed.

Whoa. She didn’t kiss like my grandmother anymore. During the previous year we’d both had firsts (first boyfriend, first girlfriend) and learned the fine art of snogging. I never wanted the ship to land.

“See you?” I said at the dock. But she knew I’d be leaving soon to be with my Texas fling, so she just waved and got in her dad’s car.

The night before I left, I knocked on her door. “Look, the tickets were booked before we… I mean, I didn’t—”

“I thought I was just your Catalina fling.”

“No! Actually, I think maybe I’m fall…”

“What?”

Awkward silence.

She shut the door.

Texas was a bust. My voluptuous blond had a boyfriend. They’d broken up before she visited California, and made up when she came back. Turns out I was just her California fling.  I was supposed to stay a week, but flew home after four days…

And drove straight to Martha’s house. After three more days of bowing and scraping she agreed to go out with me.

Two weeks later I said my first “I love you.”

“I love you too–you idiot,” she replied.

We were together through the end of high school. Friends assumed we’d get married. But different colleges, different paths…

In college, I wrote a play about first love, and dedicated it to her.

Years later I met a woman who reminded me a lot of Martha: smart, kind, “the good one.” Oh, yeah, and crazy-pretty. Plus, she kissed like a dream right off the bat. And 35 years later we’re still together. Because, while Martha was my first “I love you”…

Trudy is my last.

This entry was posted in Humor, Memoir and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to My First “I Love You”

1. Pingback: My Summer of Love | Mitch Teemley

2. Beck says:

How sweet is that?! great story!

3. So sweet. Beautifully written

4. Gosh you had me there Mitch!

5. Keziah says:

This was so cute and sweet, thank you very much for sharing. 🙂

6. John Purvis says:

That was awesome, Mitch! I enjoyed that story.

7. uzzawal1911 says:

It is a beautiful story! I had a smile throughout, nice one 👌

8. joyroses13 says:

Awh! My heart! ❤

9. Kim Smyth says:

Aww, so sweet! That was a great story!

10. Ha! Last minute twist. 😉 Sweet. ❤

11. Piano girl says:

Love, love, love! ❤️

12. Kathleen Ellerman says:

Beautiful and touching!

13. c.f. leach says:

Awww… You’re such a romantic! Blessings and Peace.

14. jeffrockwood says:

Your story brings back a lot of fond memories of those “Thespian” days. I remember how warm and open Martha’s family was. Love endures both in the past as well as in the here-and-now.
    Thanks Mitch for your sharing and honoring the people in your life.
    Peace & Prayers my friend….

15. Oh wow this was good

I was worried what might happen if your wife read all these revelations about Martha and the Texas fling. (And she surely must read most of your posts if not all.) But of course you saved the day at the end–and your marriage! You redeemed yourself royally. Great read, Mitch!

17. Your story is so real, I feel like I was there!

18. Ann Coleman says:

That was a good twist at the end! I was sure Martha was going to be the one you married.

19. Dora says:

Perfect, the past being a preparation for the future “real thing.” Dante would say you have the intellect of love, the highest intelligence there is. 🙂

20. Dolly Vas says:

You loved in High school and kept up it after college,till you meet with Martha.
    And keep remain her with yourself in your plays or heart. This is called true love.”saccha pyar”. But examples of love like you are rare to find in new generations.

21. Congratulations on 35 years (and counting) together! I met my, now husband, in December of ’89. Lasting love is a gift. I loved reading your two-part story. Sweet, hopeful, and romantic.

22. jantanleo says:

Enjoyed your romantic story, Mitch. My husband & I celebrate our anniversary next week. 36 devoted years!

Jan