Imagination: A World Without Limits

The nagging reality of our world these days seems to be limits: limits on what we can do, where we can go, who we can see. But imagination has no limits. No virus can stop it. Painters, sculptors, photographers, writers—all take us to places our world and our own safely-walled-in surroundings won’t let us go. They show us objects and creatures—odd, whimsical, beautiful, absurd–that do exist, after all…in the world of imagination.

Click on any image to enlarge it, or to start slide show.

“Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~Albert Einstein

“There are people who think that things that happen in fiction do not really happen. These people are wrong.” ~Neil Gaiman

“There are no rules of architecture for a castle in the clouds.”        ~G.K. Chesterton

“Adventure is not outside man; it is within.” ~George Eliot

“Without leaps of imagination or dreaming, we lose the excitement of possibilities. Dreaming, after all is a form of planning.” ~Gloria Steinem

“Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.” ~John Lennon

“We do not need magic to change the world, we carry all the power we need                  inside ourselves already: we have the power to imagine better.”      ~J.K. Rowling

“In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.” ~Genesis 1:1

“And then God said, “Let us make human beings in our image, to be like us.” ~Genesis 1:27

This entry was posted in Culture, Humor, Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Imagination: A World Without Limits

1. “Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution.” (Albert Einstein)

2. I love this photos. Indeed imagination holds no bounds.

3. Jane Tawel says:

Good post for our times. To encourage you further, this is from one of my all time favorite books: “If something is there, you can only see it with your eyes open, but if it isn’t there, you can see it just as well with your eyes closed. That’s why imaginary things are often easier to see than real ones.” –Phantom Tollbooth

4. I forwarded this post to my daughter, who is on a road trip with her family. I think the kids could be entertained for a few miles checking out these pictures. 😉

5. Alien Resort says:

“a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind”

6. numrhood says:

can you list the name of the characters by photo

7. Hety Eliot says:

My family is not wealthy and I’ve never even been on a vacation. I have not traveled more than a hundred miles from my home and only a single state over. But I thank God for the gift of imagination, to be able to imagine people and places, and to be able to be fully immersed in a novel, a film, or music.

I think Emily Dickinson put it best:

“I never saw a Moor —
    I never saw the Sea —
    Yet know I how the Heather looks
    And what a Billow be.

I never spoke with God
    Nor visited in Heaven —
    Yet certain am I of the spot
    As if the Checks were given —”

8. Phun with Photoshop? I love the high-stepping rabbit? creature on the streets of Dublin.

9. Kellie says:

Yes to imagination 👌 great pics, I had to look twice at some of them 😆😂

10. c.f. leach says:

Great Post! My best friend and I were discoursing Gaiman’s idea yesterday—-and came to the conclusion that it is true. Blessings and Peace.

11. Great post❤️❤️

12. Check out my blog too

13. Ann Coleman says:

For some reason, there are lots of blogs not appearing in my email or reader anymore, and yours is one of them! I have no idea what is going on, but I’ll try to fix it.

14. The pix are weird, funny, and meticulously crafted.

The last quote deserves its bold red italics.  (I gather that it is original.)  Not quite sure why, but it seems more reality-oriented than the Shaw/Kennedy quote in the same spirit about dreaming of things that never were.  Nice rhythm too.

Imagination is also a big deal in STEM, tho often obscured by sweating out whether what we imagine can work.  Sometimes all we get for our trouble is sweat.  But sometimes we get wings.

15. “Imagination allows us to escape the world as it is and then, upon returning, to make it better than it was.” Yes! Excellent post, Mitch.

16. Suhani Bansal says:

Wow the pics literally blew me away! And yeah a fabulous post too ❤️imagination makes me feel happy in the lowest of moments it’s precious , books are my major way to imagination and after i finish a book it’s a bit hard to come out of my imagination and come to terms with my reality around 😂