Late Bloomer?

I’m no spring chicken (or maybe I am; after all, my first feature film as a writer-director was released in the spring 3 weeks ago), but I’m a pretty well-seasoned chicken—wait, that sounds like a cooking metaphor. Make that a seasoned rooster with quite a few grey feathers.

I spent years directing plays, even though early on I was drawn to filmmaking: I remember seeing a production of the play An Enemy of the People when I was 20, and thinking, “I’d like to direct that, but…”

In the play’s chilling conclusion, a townful of people, having sold their souls for wealth, strut before a shiny skyline paid for by corruption. And I thought, “I want to zoom in on them until we can see right through their empty eyes to the skyscrapers beyond!” And then it struck me: “I don’t want to direct the play, I want to direct the movie!”

It took a while. But after years of theatre, sketch comedy, and numerous short films, this spring rooster finally has his first feature film in release—and a second one coming out soon (stay tuned). And Healing River has been received with such love! In fact, it’s now one of the highest-rated films at Amazon Prime! I’m passionate about what the movie has to say, so I couldn’t be more grateful. However…

It also has its haters. It was clear when the internet trolls attacked it on IMDb the moment it was released that they hadn’t actually seen it. People who don’t like a movie give it a 4 or a 5 (on a 10 point scale), but people who are against it, give it a 1. And that’s what the trolls did. Why? Because of the tagline, “Forgiveness is a life preserver”? Because it’s subtly faith-based (although grittier and more realistic than most faith-based films)? At any rate, the movie’s supporters flooded it with love, diluting the hater-ratings and elevating it to a near-normal rating (imagine what it would be without those troll-votes!).

So, thank you, everyone, for helping fulfill this late bloomer’s dream!

If you’ve seen Healing River and haven’t rated it on IMDb yet, may I ask you to do so now? Just click here.

And if you haven’t seen Healing River yet, you can watch or order it now (give it a quick review when you’re done). To do so, click here.

This entry was posted in Humor, Memoir, Movies and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Late Bloomer?

1. Gail Perry says:

Done, finally! Now off to Amazon Prime…..

2. Jane Tawel says:

Thanks for sharing –I’m “on it”. 🙂

3. I’ve seen it happen before. A film comes out, and the moment certain people smell a faith-based theme, the fangs come out. But God is in control.
    I remember seeing this backfire when “The Passion of the Christ” came out, and Mel Gibson’s enemies were spreading the word all over the internet that the film was anti-Semitic. My prayer partner said that her friends who were missionaries in the United Arab Emirates told her that upon hearing that it was an anti-Semitic movie, the Muslims in their region were flocking to see it!

4. Clever Girl says:

Fantastic! Don’t let the turkey trolls get you down.

5. robstroud says:

Well deserved success with the film!

If I had not genuinely been impressed with your skill–and the fine performances of the actors–my integrity would have forced me to offer a lukewarm endorsement. But because the film is so truly exceptional, I am able to wholeheartedly commend it to others.

I have high hopes for future productions headed by my friend, Mitch Teemley. Congratulations.

6. I’m on it, I’m sure it would be a very interesting movie

7. sniderjerry says:

Hello Mitch, One of my favorite books is “Leo the Late Bloomer” Is that you on the cover? All the best. Jerry

8. billtonnis says:

As a fellow “late-bloomer”, I wish and pray for you that your dream continues to manifest as God’s dream for the world. Peace, Bill

Is IMBd tracking down those trolls? Seems like it would be in their best interest to keep the ratings honest. SO glad the film is getting the support and viewership it deserves!

• mitchteemley says:

Unfortunately, no, Nancy. It’s just a glorified calculator; there’s no human monitoring at all. Unlike Amazon and Rotten Tomatoes, whose ratings are from verified viewers, IMDb is a free-for-all. Trolls can trash films, even classics, anytime they want. Ironically, IMDb’s film facts (cast, crew, production company, etc.) are very closely monitored, requiring proof of accuracy.

10. gpavants says:

Hi Mitch,

Fantastic! Hey, what a blessing to have your feature come out before COVID. Lots of “big” films are not. I pray Healing River reaches who needs to see it.

In Christ,

Gary

11. Mitch, I thought I commented on your movie, but I’m not sure where. My wife and I watched Healing River and it was wonderfully done and very inspiring. I have already told people in our congregation to check it out. Thanks for your talents and hard work.

• mitchteemley says:

I’m so happy to hear that, Robin. If you haven’t already, you can leave a brief review at the same Amazon page where you watched the movie. Also, you can rate it on IMDb. Thanks and blessings!

12. Pingback: Late Bloomer? — Mitch Teemley – New York FEEDBACK Film Festival