Let’s Do it Better This Time

Qcards.06-13d

Surprising words from a man whose wisdom, at least at times, exceeded his behavior. But then it’s true of all of us at times, isn’t it? Currently, it seems it’s true of many. As the coronavirus lockdown unravels, many people are unraveling, too. Taking action without listening, reacting without thinking, praying without forgiving, quitting without trying.

So here’s a thought: Let’s not do that. Let’s make sure we know what’s good and what’s true, and then let’s live it. Let’s be models for others of how things could be, how they should be. Let’s do it better this time.

“Any fool can know. The point is to understand.” ~Albert Einstein

“Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.” ~Rumi

“I ask not for any crown
But that which all may win;
Nor try to conquer any world
Except the one within.”
~Louisa May Alcott

“For what does it profit a person to gain the whole world and lose their soul?” ~Jesus of Nazareth

This entry was posted in Culture, For Pastors and Teachers, Poetry, Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Let’s Do it Better This Time

1. boromax says:

This is just… so good, Mitch. Thank you.

2. Jane Tawel says:

Amen. Philippians 4:8

3. Words I have worked to ignore too many times in my life. Thanks, Mitch, for a timely reminder.

4. lilmama113 says:

Gotta stop & “THINK ABOUT IT” for a second or two!!!

5. A timely reminder. Thank you.

6. This should be required reading!

7. pastorpete51 says:

Can’t believe that’s Hemingway. Not that I don’t enjoy his writing but I love that chain of thoughts.

8. John Purvis says:

Very meaningful words! Thank you!

9. Ann Coleman says:

Excellent advice, not just for these times, for for all times. (Although I agree that we need them now more than ever.) Thank you, Mitch!

10. Love the Hemingway and Einstein quotes.

A good addition to the quotes would be Niebuhr’s Serenity Prayer:

«Father, give us courage to change what must be altered, serenity to accept what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.»

(I like the original version better than what later became popular.)  Appearing without the Serenity Prayer nearby, the Rumi and Alcott quotes could be read as advocating passive acceptance of whatever is happening outside of oneself.