Do We Keep Time, or Does It Keep Us?

“I had a clock and a watch, but I destroyed them both. I could not bear the way they mocked me.” ~Susanna Clarke

Time demands too much of our time. It pretends to be indifferent, yet creates chaos when we ignore it. It demands our attention, yet refuses to sit still. It invades our privacy, and yet keeps to itself.

Only when we dream are we free from time. But the moment we return we discover it has looted our houses and defaced our possessions. It simply cannot be trusted, time. In truth, we’re better off without it. Perhaps that’s why in the end we all say, “So be it, then” and die. Still, until that time when there is no time: What are we to do with time?

(Click on any image to enlarge it, or to begin slide show)

“Aside from velcro, time is the most mysterious substance in the universe.” ~Dave Barry

“Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.” ~Groucho Marx

“In a future existence, we shall look upon what we think our present existence as a dream.” ~Edgar Allan Poe

“As if you could kill time without injuring eternity.” ~Henry David Thoreau

“He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men, yet they cannot fathom the work that God has done from beginning to end.” ~Ecclesiastes 3:11

“‘I wish it need not have happened in my time,’ said Frodo. ‘So do I,’ said Gandalf, ‘and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.’” ~J.R.R. Tolkien

“The best use of life is love. The best expression of love is time. And the best time to love is now.”

~Rick Warren

This entry was posted in Humor, Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Do We Keep Time, or Does It Keep Us?

1. Pam Webb says:

No time like the present to contemplate our past as strive towards our future.

2. Jeff Rockwood-Haberman says:

As the saying goes: “Only Time Will Tell.”
    Indeed.

3. TIME? From few days I was thinking about how time is changing everything around. And today I saw your post. Time is powerful.

4. K.L. Hale says:

I’m glad I took time to read this. Bravo! 💚

5. Eliza Ayres says:

Reblogged this on Blue Dragon Journal.

6. Candice says:

I’m a fan of clocks and some of these are absolutely wonderful! Thanks.

7. numrhood says:

ecclesiates 3:13 i will do all things
    through him that strengths thee

8. badfinger20 says:

My dream would be to do what the Peter Fonda character did in that scene from Easy Rider… as simple as throwing your watch away.

9. gpavants says:

Mitch,

Love it. You know I am doing a time travel series called Chronolocity and your piece is right in track with the warning Levy Roarke receives:

“Manage you time wisely, or it will manage you.”

Your ideas are timeless.

Gary

10. Bill Sweeney says:

Great pictures and quotes. I need to read the following quote first thing every morning:
    “…All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.’” ~J.R.R. Tolkien
    Have a good weekend, Mitchell

11. As soon as I saw your post, The Chambers Brothers’ “Time Has Come Today” started playing in my head.

12. Anita Natuha says:

I love this post 😍
    Especially

~Rick Warren

13. Time keeps on slippin’, slippin’, slippin’
    Into the future . . .

14. Love the quote and the photos! Hope you and yours are well!

15. librepaley says:

A fascinating smorgasbord. ‘Time is want we want most, but what we use worst.’ William Penn.