What Do Colors Mean Around the World?

Featured Image -- 47824

CaptureMy Featured Blogger this week is Addison of A Better Man. Addison describes himself as “a simple Singaporean guy who loves a challenge,” who is “always thinking about new ideas and ways of doing things, passionate about creativity and dogged determination.” Unsurprisingly, then, his motto is, “Improve the world by improving yourself.”

I’ve followed Addison from early on–when we were both still figuring out how to do this blogging thing–and have been delighted to see how his focus has sharpened, his posts become more polished, and his following grown!

What’s not to like?

A Better Man

The internet is chock full of infographics and posts that explain the psychological associations of various colors to help people and brands choose the perfect hue for their product, logo, or living room wall. These posts are entertaining, but there’s one serious problem with them if you’re actually planning to use the information for any kind of significant decision: what colors mean varies wildly from culture to culture.

Take yellow, for instance. Most of people in America instantly associate the color with the sun, school buses, and happy emojis. It’s cheerful, upbeat, and energizing. But if you paint your living room yellow in order to lift your visitors’ spirits, you might run into problems if a Chinese or French exchange student comes to stay.

In France, “yellow signifies jealousy, betrayal, weakness, and contradiction. In the 10th century, the French painted the doors of traitors and criminals yellow,” explains the Huffington…

View original post 458 more words

This entry was posted in Writing and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to What Do Colors Mean Around the World?

1. Eliza says:

This is really interesting. I feel like energetically it’ll be the same cross culture.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Love, light and glitter

2. robstroud says:

What a fun and informative piece! Thanks for passing it on. It reminded me in Korea when I passed around a sign-up sheet for people riding a bus to a chapel outing. One of Korean spouses of an Air Force member was hesitant to sign it. You see, I had passed around a red pen with the clipboard.

When I inquired as to the problem, her husband explained that in Korea, only the names of deceased individuals are written in red. I good lesson I still recall.

3. Jane Tawel says:

Oh how fun — A Better Man was I think the first blogger I ever came across and started following. Love him! and so fun that you two began rather in the trenches together and how fun that you guest-shared him. This was a good one, but I think my favorites still would have to include his one on Cotton Candy and his series on Ethos, Logos and Pathos — now when he combines those two topics — that will be really something! LOL!

4. Lee Poskey says:

Howdy Mitch!
    I just wanted to holler at you and bring some smiles to you.

5. abetterman21 says:

Thanks Mitch for the repost and everyone for the kind support! This sort of encouragement spurs me to continue writing! More posts to come.

6. mitchteemley says:

My pleasure, Addison. Onward and upward!