Earth Day Lockdown

Lockdown Planet

This may be the least celebrated Earth Day ever.*

And yet, ironically, our very inattentiveness is giving Earth a long-needed breather: worldwide pollution has plummeted during the lockdown.

Why is it our planet needed a global pandemic to catch a break?

Wouldn’t it be great if, along with learning from this world crisis how to take better care of ourselves, we also learned how to take better care of our world? I mean, the Moon and Mars are cool places to visit, but they’re also dead. Let’s not add Earth to the list.

Earth Day is Us Day!

*April 22, 2020, marks Earth Day’s 50th Anniversary.

This entry was posted in Culture, Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to Earth Day Lockdown

1. Oh! Was it Earth Day today? Were it not for you, I would have missed it! Went for a walk on the earth today so perhaps I’m covered.

2. A bit funny, I live in the middle of nowhere so seeing wildlife is pretty normal, but yesterday I went “downtown,” that’s where our stoplight is, and I watched a bunch of river otters cross the street. It was hilarious, they used the crosswalk and everything. Alas, I was social distancing from my phone and couldn’t take a picture. The other day somebody filmed a bear in the drive through at McDonalds after they had closed.

3. Thanks for the heads-up! We will celebrate tomorrow with a nice long ‘social distancing’ walk… Which won’t be hard since we live in a rural area now! 😊

4. Great post. When we take care of ourselves we take care of Mother Earth.

5. Well when you put it like, ok…. great post

6. mitchteemley says:

ALL: For some reason, Responses to this post are not currently showing up. I do receive emails of them, however, so I’ll respond one way or another. Thanks! ~Mitch

7. My cousin’s daughter lives in India, and yesterday he told me people in her city were able to see the Himalayas for the first time! 😀

8. Erika says:

I definitely hope that this awareness will sprout and root!

9. I don’t think many understand the relationship we have with creation.

10. gifted50 says:

Happy Earth Day, we hear all the stories of the earth healing herself, a much-needed respite for us, humans.

11. Jane Tawel says:

Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes, we can! Yes, we must. Bravo you on this one.

12. AnuRijo says:

🌏🌎🌍🌏happy to see self healing earth for this Earth day 🌝

13. Maybe we will all learn that there are huge benefits if more people telecommuted to work. If two months of mass self-isolation can clean up the environment like it has so far, maybe we can keep the momentum going after the coronavirus crisis ends.

14. carhicks says:

I can’t agree more.

15. Happy Earth Day to you!

16. basicblaire says:

🌍💙 love this.

17. I’m really hoping that our appreciation of the clean air and clean water we’re getting during pandemic time will be so great that we will do all we can not to turn back from that. I can only hope…

18. Saruman says:

We’ve just shown that we actually CAN give our Earth a break. Future will show if we want to.

19. gpavants says:

Mitch,

It’s a taste of eternity when man learns to be better at everything. Thank the Lord.

Thanks,

Gary

20. The world was just moving to fast for its own good, the sad thing would be being forced to watch society just get back to the norm in disregard. Let’s hope it will be considered on a grand scale this time around for the sake of the natural order…

21. I never even knew earth day existed until today! School, college and now uni and still not heard of it! Maybe if we learnt about it a bit more, we’d look after it more

22. Pingback: Redeeming Our World | From guestwriters