Isolation Sucks, and yet…

We seem to have hit critical mass. More than any other time during the pandemic people are suffering the effects of isolation: loneliness, depression, anger (domestic violence is up), longing for escape (drug sales are soaring). But if we to choose to, we can do more than just wait out the storm. We can use this time intentionally so that when we finally do come together again, we will have become kinder, more patient, more grateful. May we someday look back and say, “Yes, that was a horrible time, and we’re glad it’s over. But we’re also glad we used it to become better human beings.”

Learn and Grow

• Reading – Isolation makes the world smaller. Books make it even larger than before!
  • Writing and journaling – Write about the present, yes, but also write down your memories–in detail. Doing so will free you to revisit those times, places, and people.

“It’s not all bad. Heightened self-consciousness, apartness, an inability to join in, physical shame and self-loathing—they are not all bad. Those devils have been my angels. Without them I would never have disappeared into language, literature, the mind, laughter and all the mad intensities that made and unmade me.” ~Stephen Fry

“Knowing how to be solitary is central to the art of loving. When we can be alone, we can be with others without using them as a means of escape.” ~Bell Hook

Connect

• Pick up your phone: Text? Sure, but also talk–voices have whole other layers of subtext and feelings; and of course Facetime, Skype and Zoom (yeah, I know, who doesn’t wish they’d invested in Zoom three months ago?).
  • Love your pets, and feed the wild birds and other critters looming just out of sight. Humans are more human when they connect with other creatures.
  • Rediscover your family – connect on new levels: ask them to tell you their stories, memories, fears, hopes and dreams.
  • Pray – God is immune to all viruses, and is always here. Unsure? Tell him about that. And pray for others, too, because…

“No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main, (hence) any man’s death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee.” ~John Donne

“Most days I wander around feeling invisible.
Like I’m a speck of dust floating in the air
that can only be seen when a shaft of light hits it.”
~
Sonya Sones

“We don’t heal in isolation, but in community.” ~S. Kelley Harrell

Make Yourself–and the World–Better

“How will we ever survive this if we can’t survive each other?” ~Rory Power

“The world is so empty if one thinks only of mountains, rivers and cities; but to know someone who thinks & feels with us, and who, though distant, is close to us in spirit, this makes the earth for us an inhabited garden.” ~Goethe

“I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters   to create many ripples.”

~Mother Teresa

This entry was posted in For Pastors and Teachers, Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to Isolation Sucks, and yet…

1. Eliza Ayres says:

Reblogged this on Blue Dragon Journal and commented:
    Being an intuitive introvert and empath helps in times like this… being alone is nothing to fear.

2. pastorpete51 says:

Love the quote from Mother Teresa. She seemed to have a way of saying more in a dozen words than most of us can say in a hundred.

3. anitashope says:

We must not forget the lessons we are learning now when this does get over.

4. badfinger20 says:

We have been playing Yahtzee with relatives via webcam…and home projects. One day…we will probably wish we had the time we do now to spend doing whatever with the family…but being forced to…changes the perception a little.

Mitch…that is a beautiful version of Sound of Silence.

5. I particularly appreciate the Bell Hook quote.

I too love the Mother Teresa quote. If we’re all making ripples, what a storm of change we could create–even as we’re isolated! P.S. The blend and harmonies of that ensemble is exquisite. Thank you for including it, Mitch!

7. I love that group, great song! And a great post. I don’t mind some of the isolation. I’m an avid reader and love my photography hobby. But I’m working from home and that isn’t quite my favorite thing, although it’s working great. I’m just a bit stir crazy. Thank God we can go out walking and we have great areas very nearby to walk all we want.

8. Tiffany says:

Thank you for this post. It was great!

9. Thanks for the great, balanced perspective.
    Occasionally someone will talk about “when things get back to the way they were, and I think, “I don’t believe they’re ever going to be ‘the way they were.’ ” – at least I HOPE we’re all going to be better people, and the world will never be quite the same again.

10. Love your video choice to compliment this wonderful post. I had actually watched it this morning, and I enjoy the group Pentatonix.

11. Wise Hearted says:

All great suggestions to make this latest crisis count for something.

12. These quotes are so encouraging, thank you! I even saved some of them 🙂 Stay safe!

13. Ann Coleman says:

Wonderful advice, Mitch!

14. Really thought provoking.

Thank you.

Peach

15. This is thoughtfully penned Mitch and so comforting. Thanks for sharing.

16. librepaley says:

Thanks for the silver linings and perspective.

17. MAM! says:

Such a great, reassuring post. Thank you.

18. K.L. Hale says:

Thank you for this post. And the beautiful song🎶

19. carhicks says:

I love that youtube clip. Great song and performance. I am reading, sewing, and connecting via technology. Doing well, I hope you are as well Mitch.

20. gpavants says:

Mitch,

Thanks as always for sharing helpful tips. That is my prayer that we take this as a great time to grow and develop our connections with God and others.

The Lord blossom in you more,

Gary

21. farmgirl says:

Great article. So many are suffering with this now more than ever.. have a great article with more information I’d like to share. Enjoy

22. SLIMJIM says:

Who would have thought in April when you wrote this that our country would head towards an even more darker turn in May and June…