A Filmmaker’s Journal

Healing River Poster

My Feature Film is Finally Being Released!

I’ve been updating readers for years about my first feature film as a writer-director, Over-the-Rhine. So I’m beyond thrilled to announce that it’s finally being released! And that its name has been changed to Healing River (more on that below)!

Healing River was initially expected to play in theaters this summer, and then move to streaming. But with the current lockdown, our distributor felt it was important to go to where the people are – now!Β  So Healing River will premiere soon on Amazon Prime, and then expand to other streaming sites, as well as VOD (video-on-demand) and DVD outlets. I’ll let you know as soon as it hits!

Why the name change? The story is set in Over-the-Rhine, a historical section of urban Cincinnati, plagued for years by poverty, crime and, germane to our story, drug addiction (our region is the epicenter of the U.S. opioid epidemic). But it’s also a community that, like our principal characters, is dramatically changing. Audience feedback, however, quickly showed that, outside this region, people were confused by the title. Many assumed it was set in Germany, and possibly during World War II. It’s not–it’s a hard-hitting emotional drama set in the contemporary U.S.

The new title comes from the song “Healing River,” which plays during the opening sequence of the film (and is quoted in the upcoming novel). The title also refers to the Ohio River, which runs beside Cincinnati, and the story’s use of water as a symbol of healing. Am I OK with the new title? More than OK: I’m the one who suggested it.

Stay tuned–the trailer will be available soon…

And you’ll be among the first to see it!

This entry was posted in Culture, For Pastors and Teachers, Movies, Story Power, Writing and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

129 Responses to A Filmmaker’s Journal

1. Sunitha RJM says:

I have sent an email too

2. Sunitha RJM says:

Congratulations Sir. Looking forward…

3. Heartiest congratulations Mitch! It has to be a brilliant film, judging from the thoughtful insights on your blog posts. I couldn’t be happier for you!

4. Congratulations πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

5. MAM! says:

Congratulations! Huge achievement.

6. Jennie says:

Congratulations, Mitch!

7. Aarya Starks says:

Congratulations πŸ™‚for the big success.I know how difficult and productive it is to grow with making up of own film

8. Aarya Starks says:

Actually there was an article I recently published about Teenage and Euphoria and it seemed like someone under the name of yours liked it in the comment section I thought the article has never got any like so wanted to know if it was you.sorry if I caused any inconvenience

9. Ellen Hawley says:

Wishing you luck with it!

10. Salem Andero says:

Wow!
    Never knew you were in this field of life.
    The whole thing is captivating,
    The Movie graphic,
    The title and the whole write up you made.
    Which looked to me like a TEXT TRAILER.
    I hope to see it.
    Should be premiered on YouTube too please.
    Or a link to get it.
    πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„
    I’m anticipating.

11. Pingback: A Filmmaker’s Journal | Mitch Teemley

12. Bravo Mitch Teemley! Nicely done. A empowering story about finding faith, forgiveness and Love amidst suffering.

Thank you for your work.

Thank you for bringing your craft to the stage.

Thank you for being brave enough to express the power of faith and God.

Thank you for showing us how it can truly transform ourselves and our world.

Love and light.

• mitchteemley says:

Thank you, T.E. I’m so glad you enjoyed the film. Hope you got a chance to leave a brief review there (we’re told it makes a big difference in how much Amazon promotes it). Thanks again!

13. Awesome news!! I will be watching for it.