Ego Candy

He Must Increase

Many bloggers, myself included, have experienced an upswing in views–thanks to the captive audience provided by the worldwide lockdown. Comments and Likes have gone up, as well. It’s enough to make your teeth rot. Why do I say that?

Recognition and acclaim are like candy: pleasurable in small amounts, but the moment we try to live on them we grow weak and sickly. Just ask any miserable, spiritually undernourished pop idol, sports hero, or movie star. Adulation isn’t nutrition. True, it can signal that we’re reaching our target audience (no small thing for writers). But the moment increasing that acclaim starts to become my purpose, my soul starts to shrivel.

I had a taste of ego candy early on when my comedy act began headlining Christian festivals. It was exhilarating playing to thousands. But when people swarmed around us afterward, telling us how great we were, my teeth began to ache. It was only when someone said that a certain line “really spoke” to them, or when another person asked me to pray with them, that I felt nourished. This, after all–speaking truth into people’s lives (including my own)–was why I was here.

And it still it is.

At one point, John the Baptist’s core followers complained that all of his former disciples were now following Jesus (whom John had baptized!). John’s response? “I am not the Christ.” It wasn’t false humility, it was truth. This was why he had come, he said. And then he went on to speak of his “joy” in preparing the way for the One who was the Christ.

And so I borrow John’s words to remind myself of what really matters: “He must increase, and I must decrease.” This is why I’m here. This is what feeds my soul.

This is my joy!

Have a blessed Easter, friends!

This entry was posted in For Pastors and Teachers, Quips and Quotes, Religion/Faith, Writing and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

63 Responses to Ego Candy

1. trE says:

You too, Mitch! Thank you. Stay safe and enjoy this weekend as much as you possibly can.

2. Eliza Ayres says:

Reblogged this on Blue Dragon Journal and commented:
    The views on my blog have, in some cases, tripled. I’m completely stunned but realize it has more to do with people having all kinds of time on their hands and not what I present daily… which hasn’t really changed that much. Happy Easter!

3. A very insightful reminder to tend to what truly nourishes us.

4. Yes, yes, yes!!! Acclaim is not my purpose. Thank you so much for verbalizing truth about why we as believers ought to be blogging.

5. joyroses13 says:

Happy Easter to you Mitch and your family! I do appreciate your blog very much and the insight you give!

6. atimetoshare.me says:

Thanks for addressing this. I’ve noticed a huge increase in my numbers and wondered what was going on. It never occurred to me about those who were in lockdown. I try not to put much stock in those numbers, but if we can reach even one person with the Gospel, then our work is not in vain. Happy Easter, Mitch, to you and your family. God’s blessings.

7. My blog had its biggest day ever for page views on March 29 and three of its five biggest days ever in the last two weeks. I have to remind myself also that a big part of this is the fact that so many people have a lot of free time on their hands now.
    A blessed Easter to you and your loved ones too! Christ our Lord is risen!

8. If only one reader comes closer to Jesus, I will continue to write. Thanks for this post.

9. Tall Writer says:

Thanks for this article. i’m currently working on one about flaunting, so this subject has really been in my prayers/on my heart lately. 🙂

10. Those, my friend, are facts! Thanks for helping me to stay focused on the mission!

11. Tausha J. says:

Wow, it’s as though this was written just for me! Growing up in the church, I was often asked to speak at different services. When I was done, well-meaning saints would always pat me on the back and tell me how well I did and, if I’m being honest with myself, it went to my head. I eventually came to a point in my life where speaking didn’t come to me as easily as it used to and I began to struggle behind the podium. That was God’s way of letting me know that I was absolutely nothing without Him and trying to operate in my gift without praying for Him to lend me His anointing while doing so would never end well. God has a way of keeping us humble and I learned my lesson. Thank you for this post.

12. Abe Austin says:

What a wonderful statement of humility. Thank you as ever, you shine a real light in your corner of the world.

Now don’t let it go to your head! 😀

13. “It was only when someone said that a certain line “really spoke” to them, or when another person asked me to pray with them, that I felt nourished.” Amen! I love it even more when someone tells me that something I said in the past really influenced them, and I don’ remember saying anything like that! Anything accomplished for the Kingdom is God, and only God.

14. Have a great Easter, it’s nice to have an audience, so keep doing what you’re doing, people seem to like it!

15. Tina says:

Have a blessed Easter, Mr. T! 😊

16. Laura says:

No ego candy for me. Traffic to my Christian blog is down significantly since all this began. However, traffic to my pen pal/letter writing blog is up some –and a social media pen pal group has many new members. Seems being stuck at home is making people re-interested in postal mail!

17. E says:

Ego candy! Love it. Cavities and jelly bellies, they make. Happy Easter Mitch.

18. ellie894 says:

Wonderfully shared message. Happy Easter! 😊

19. revruss1220 says:

Timeless truth once again. Thank you, my friend. A blessed Easter to you and your family. Here in Colorado we have snow and cold predicted for Resurrection Day. I also predict multiple on-line Easter worship services!

20. Wise Hearted says:

Recognition and acclaim are like candy: pleasurable in small amounts, but the moment we try to live on them we grow weak and sickly. Goodness is this ever true. I use to sing with two other ladies, we were know as, Sweet Spirit. Made a few tapes, that was long ago before cd’s. We were beginning to be ask to come to other churches to sing but I was struggling so bad with one of the ladies because of what you wrote about. In fact I quit the group probably because of her but God was changing direction in our life to missions and all the praise and glory that goes with being up front was going to be left behind. Little did I know how God was going to use my singing years later as we served in two countries and I still sing a little now and then. The older folks love me since I am singing southern gospel. I remember feeling that lift of pride when people would come ask to buy one of our tapes. I have never missed that feeling though but I miss serving overseas, in place where there is little or no recognitions. He is enough is what on learns after you put aside the pride, we and others can never fill our soul with joy unspeakable. Wonderful post.

21. gpavants says:

Hi Mitch,

Thank you, Lord for just being faithful to get word out. Keep doing what you are doing, brother.

Happy Easter,

Gary

22. Ego Candy. I love this.

I have been given two standing ovations in my life. The second one happened about 25 years ago, when I had the lead role in a summer theater play, in a small town off the coast of Maine. Did it go to my head? Yes, a little.

But then I remembered my first standing ovation, and I was quickly humbled. The year was 1968 or ’69. I was fifteen years old. I received that ovation for singing a solo, on the stage of a state insane asylum, where I was a patient.

23. Well said. Every now and then I start to think about what to post that would get more interest/followers. Or maybe I’ll post something and my followers won’t like it. And then I remind myself that I just want to post from my heart and be positive, encouraging and share hope. If only a few people enjoy it and get a little joy, that’s all that matters. And honestly, I don’t know how you bloggers with thousands of followers keep up with the comments! I will say I do enjoy reading your posts… Happy Easter! ✝🙏🏻

24. gracespeaker says:

Amazing how this post aligns with my own thoughts today. It isn’t just the numbers; it is the one. Perhaps God put the post there for just that one, and it made a difference. Happy Easter!

25. carhicks says:

Happy Easter Mitch. Stay safe and healthy with your family. 🌈⛪💖

26. Amen! Have a blessed Easter🕊

27. Easter blessings to all.

28. Ann Coleman says:

It is so easy to get addicted to praise and adulation…which is the opposite of what we’re called to be and do. Great post, Mitch!

29. rahjomuelvin says:

Amen!!!

God bless you!

30. mitchteemley says:

Thank you, and you too!

31. Rejoy Dey says:

Really good. It will help keep my ego down. Amazing!

32. This is very well said and timely. I don’t get a lot of time to blog and even less to read but I am so grateful for the comments and support which my small blog has achieved that I really want to take the time to read more deeply into others work. I’m finding your blog particularly soul worthy.

33. Wachira Fridah says:

Even if it’s for one soul, I’ll still do what I do.. He must increase. Thank you so much.

34. thank you for addressing this! love your blog🤗

Follow @everythingtips for tips and recommendations if interested! It would mean a lot to me🥺🤍