Cabin Fever!

We love our home. No, it’s not in any tourist guides, but it has Us built into it. We miss it when we travel, especially in the mornings and at bedtime (hotel beds just don’t know how to hold us); we miss our kitchen and bathroom with everything right where it’s supposed to be, and nothing missing because we “forgot to pack it.”

And yet when we have to stay home (like, hmm, when the world is in a state of emergency lockdown, for example) we long to get away, to escape to places that are nothing like our home, to relish their beauty and uniqueness, to breath their alluring air. We long to leave home, so we can look forward…

To coming home.

(Click on any image to enlarge it, or to begin slideshow)

“The world’s big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” ~John Muir

“The longing for yet another strange land grows especially strong in spring.” ~Vladimir Nabokov

“Not all those who wander are lost.” ~J.R.R. Tolkien

“There’s something about arriving in new cities, and wandering the empty streets with no destination. I will never lose the love for the arriving.” ~Charlotte Eriksson

“I like any places that isn’t here.” ~Edna Ferber

“There is a kind of magicness about going far away and then coming back all changed.” ~Kate Douglas Wiggin

“You’ll leave. And then one day you’ll come back, and everything that you once loved about the place will drive you a little bit crazy.” ~Alex George

“It was his home now, but it could not be his home till he had gone from it and returned to it.” ~G.K. Chesterton

“Oh, Auntie Em, there’s no place like home.” ~Dorothy

This entry was posted in Humor and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Cabin Fever!

1. anitashope says:

Amazing pictures. A beauty we need right now. Thank you. Peaceful stream and Canyon hideaway I believe were my favorites. Stay safe.

2. badfinger20 says:

Great pictures. I have to wonder when this is over how many people will develop Agoraphobia.

3. Erika says:

I love the pictures but even more your descriptions 😄

Thank you for the perspective, Mitch! Even the most welcoming places (like that street of Assisi, Italy–so inviting!) do not hold the allure of home. I love our little house with its view of a small woods, its creaky floors, and the beloved hand-me-down furnishings, evoking cozy memories of places no longer in existence and people no longer with us. I guess it boils down to how our homes make us feel. Ours contributes to my sense of peace.

5. Gary Fultz says:

Mom and dad left us their home. They got the best end of the deal.

6. Mary Jane says:

Thanks so much for the virtual travel. I really needed it today. We’re not allowed to walk outside even and it is REALLY getting me down at the moment

• mitchteemley says:

Wow, not even allowed outside? Do you mean in your city?

• Mary Jane says:

No, my country, South Africa. You’re only allowed to go to the shop for emergency supplies. No walking the dog or running or just stepping away from your house. You have to stay within your property at all times. If you do go for a walk, you can incur a 6 month jail sentence. Even cigarettes are not allowed to be sold as it is not deemed “emergency supplies”. Luckily I’m not a smoker, but cannot for the life of me imagine why…?!??!!! This is only supposed to be for 3 weeks, but there are talks of it being extended. Really enjoy running with my dog. But hey, if Noah can survive a lockdown in the Ark, I suppose I can do it too 🙂

7. Hey, Mitch! What awesome pictures! However, none compare to the place for which God gives us contentment, correct? I live in the most beautiful parsonage a pastor could want (if it’s necessary for him to live in one). The last one was a dilapidated, slightly dangerous, pitiful place, but while we were there, I swear, God made us feel like we were living in a quaint, comfortable, precious little country cabin, one in which we would have happily stayed. Now that we have left and see it from a different perspective, we are shocked that we actually lived there and enjoyed it! Without a doubt, I consider that a miracle and a blessing from God.

But the reason I am here, today, is not to talk about myself, or even your post; it’s to encourage you. I just wanted to let you know that you are a blessing and that you make a difference in the lives of others. I appreciate your posts, even though I don’t get to comment that often.

Keep up the good work, and don’t grow weary in doing well. We’ve not too long before we hear “Well done!” Be safe, stay well, and God bless you, my brother.

• mitchteemley says:

Aw, thank you so much, Anthony. And back at you, my friend. Your consistent insight is a blessing to many, I know.

• I know what you mean. Some years ago just after Christmas I spent three days in a very cheap motel. (I won’t get into the reason, which was complicated and isn’t relevant.) I had decided that as long as I was stuck there, I would make it a personal retreat. I spent three days studying the Bible, praying, playing worship music and singing, sometimes even dancing. I did some (inspired) writing on my book, then prayed some more, worshiped some more, and just sat, listening to the still, small voice of God. It was one of the most wonderful weekends I have ever had. When I left that bare little room and got back to our house with its holiday decorations and sounds and smells and flavors, there were moments I actually missed my little retreat.

8. Ann Coleman says:

Thanks an excellent point, Mitch! It’s hard to remember how much we love our home when we’re told we have to stay there. I’ve been planning future trips in my mind for the past couple of weeks….but I need to remember just how much I enjoy coming home at the end of every single trip I’ve ever taken. (Okay, maybe that last sentence wasn’t true: the time I left Florida in January to return to 5 degree weather and no power, I wasn’t the least bit happy to be home. But that was the exception, not the rule!)

9. Bill Sweeney says:

Thanks, Mitch. I needed that virtual escape from my cave. It’s funny, I’ve been sitting in my room for twenty years, but when the authorities told us to stay home, I got a strong urge to get out and about. My rebellious nature is still alive 🙂

10. Well, now that you’ve taken me on a virtual world tour, I don’t need to go anywhere. 😉
    I don’t know where you find these amazing pictures, Mitch, but thanks for sharing them.

11. Love this post! The pictures, the thoughts, the quotes!!

And some of those captions!! 🤣🤣👌🏻

12. Pingback: Cabin Fever – Br Andrew's Muses

13. gpavants says:

Hi Mitch,

Yes, dreaming about places to go gets our minds off being cooped up. We will get out soon and we have Eternity.

In Christ,