The Journey of a Thousand Stairs

What is it about stairways? Few inventions (although, arguably, nature thought of them first) are so metaphorical. Say, “Stairway” and people think “to Heaven” before they think of literal stairs. We can’t help but make metaphors out of them. They have to be ascended—evoking a sense of labor, beginnings, mystery, hope. Or descended—evoking a sense of failure, departure, endings, loss. Why? Because life is impermanent, yet we harbor hope. True, there’s a highway to hell. But there’s also a stairway to heaven. We hope.

(Click on any image to enlarge it, or to begin slide show)

“There is no elevator to success. You have to take the stairs.” ~Zig Ziglar

“You don’t have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.”    ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

“A man’s health can be judged by which he takes two at a time: pills or stairs.” ~Joan Walsh Anglund

“What is a staircase, but a corridor improved by elevation?” ~Catherine Gilbert Murdock

“You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience.” ~Mitch Hedberg

“One time I was riding the escalator and I tripped. I fell down the stairs for an hour and a half.” ~Demetri Martin

“Two things are bad for the heart: running up stairs and running down people.” ~Bernard Baruch

“Faith goes up the stairs that love has built and looks out the windows which hope has opened.” ~Charles Spurgeon

This entry was posted in Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to The Journey of a Thousand Stairs

1. Eliza Ayres says:

Reblogged this on Blue Dragon Journal.

2. boromax says:

Love this collection of photos and quotes. Onward and upward!

3. Wow! Where to start???…architectural essay (?) philosophisal discussion of creativity (?) the economics (and psychology) of getting money from sane people for these projects (?) How about a coffee-table book? Thanks for helping us while-away our seclusion, Mitch.

4. Invisibly Me says:

My knees hurt just looking at some of these 😂
    Some absolutely incredible designs. I love the architecture and especially the grand spiralling staircases, amazing. xx

5. Erika says:

Wow, awesome collections of stairs… and stairs quotes of which some are legendary.

6. Candice says:

Most of these staircases would require much better stamina than I have!

7. Looking all these reminds me of the Tesseract scene from Labyrinth.

8. Who knew there could such an infinite variety of stairs?! The photo from Madame Sherri Forest caught my eye because it’s less than two hours away from where I live in New Hampshire. I had no idea it was there! I’ve bookmarked it for a day trip.

9. You find the most interesting things. I never realized there were so many fascinating stairs.

10. Flowerpoet says:

Amazingly innovative creativity! Thanks for sharing this! 🤩😍👏

11. -Eugenia says:

Fascinating stairs and I love the quotes.

12. Mark Johnson says:

Such splendid stairways! Thank you, Mitch.

13. It was difficult to choose between the interesting photos or the poignant quotes that you posted. Either way, you have created a banner post. Keep up the great works.

14. Beautiful post and well-chosen pictures. Great work! It is metaphorical, my friend, a poet chose this very symbol in the title for his poetry collection which was published a few years back.

15. Kim Smyth says:

I enjoyed looking at all of these stairs, Mitch. Thanks for sharing, they are truly amazing works of art themselves! I’m glad I can look from here and not have to climb them!

16. cat9984 says:

The street art stairs are all amazing, but the dog in the second picture is a little disconcerting.

17. gpavants says:

Hi Mitch,

Love, love, love it! Great images as always. I am praying for great creative days, brother.

Gary