“Doing Church” at Home

bible-hands1

Yesterday, my wife and I propped ourselves up on a pew (bed) and tuned into an online worship service. This is how people “do church” in 2020 QA (the Quarantine Age). But it wasn’t new to us.

Back in the ‘90s, our then-toddler daughter kept catching colds at church. This was no surprise. After all, kids are viral airports, where infections land and take off with great regularity. In fact, quite a few of those infection flew to us. No big, we could handle it.

The one who couldn’t handle it, however, was our daughter. After several mere colds turned into full-blown bronchial infections requiring hospitalization, we learned she had asthma. Once we’d left her crying in a hospital ventilation tent (we weren’t allowed to stay all night), there was no longer a choice. We:

1. Bought a home ventilator
  2. And stopped attending public worship

For almost two years, we “did church” at home every Sunday morning. We read Scripture, discussed it in depth, sang, prayed, and sometimes cried together. I knew I’d married a godly woman, but was constantly delighted at Trudy’s spiritual insights. Did we miss interacting with others? Eventually, yes. But at first we were simply entranced at how meaningful and sweet a time it had become. We also loved worshipping in our jammies with a steady supply of gourmet coffee and biscotti at hand.

Our daughter eventually turned into a wonderful asthma-free adult, by the way.

So yesterday, for novel reasons (novel coronavirus, to be exact), we resumed our Sunday morning worship via that newfangled device they call “the internet.” Yes, we’re going to miss the live presence others, but for now it’s a wonderful reminder of how much we also love “doing church” at home together.

And our coffee is still the best.

This entry was posted in For Pastors and Teachers, Humor, Memoir, Religion/Faith and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to “Doing Church” at Home

1. I love this! Praying that these circumstances might get more Christian couples to relate in this way, and so make our marriages more powerful for his kingdom. (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)

2. It’s like God prepared you back then for the now.

3. anitashope says:

What I am finding interesting is the number of churches now having online services and devotions. Hopefully reaching others who never would have bothered before. Maybe a few of those stopping to watch will stay plugged in.

4. Very novel times indeed http://www.facebook.com/firstbaptistchurchmixon

Enjoy Easter Series week1 “At War with the Purpose of the Cross”

Jim

Sent from my iPad

5. delphini510 says:

I am glad your daughter recovered from asthma, it can be very persistent.

By the way, I insist that my coffee is best too. 😊 . There are many others who would say the same, content home coffee drinkers.

6. Paula Light says:

Jews are doing temple services at home too. Strange times. Stay well ❤️

7. Kim Smyth says:

Yesterday was the second Sunday in a row we had to live stream our service. unfortunately, we had to try to see the iPad I set up under the tv, because we never could link the service through our big screen. Everything was there but the sound and picture. Still, we enjoyed our service and I’m so glad that due to modern technology we don’t have to miss church. We can give our tithes through the same app we live stream our service too!

8. ajoymitch says:

Thank you for this encouraging post!

9. Sandi Staton says:

We always do church at home. That’s how church started out for me as a kid which was held in the preacher’s house. I loved it then and I love worshiping at home now. God is wherever we allow Him to be.

10. Gregory Joel says:

What a tremendous blessing. Thank you for sharing it. I keep thinking “Wherever two are gathered in my name there I will be also”. What a beautiful way to experience Jesus.

11. Lisa Beth says:

Wow, thank you for posting this. Just today a friend from church shared how the Lord is restoring her marriage during their time shut in at home.
    Press on brother, may the Lord stir you and your wife with many inspiring and cozy moments!

12. smzang says:

that Teemley team sure knows how to make a day beautiful!

13. M.B. Henry says:

Our church has started doing Facebook live streaming 🙂 Not the same as being there but still helped us feel a bit connected in these times of isolating.

14. We are doing FB live streaming, YouTube. Zoom, with our congregation, and keeping in touch with our partner churches across the county, the state, and internationally. I have heard others talk about studying the Bible with people who have only met online. We all adapt.

15. HAT says:

Beautiful. “Wherever two or three …”

16. Paul S says:

Coffee and prayer is what the world needs right now.

17. This is the introduction from my sermon preached virtually yesterday, March 22.

*****
    Today is the Fourth Sunday in Lent and it is also the Second Sunday in the Season of Corona Virus. Just as Lent began on a Wednesday in February, so the Season of Corona Virus began on a Wednesday in March. Matthew Lee Anderson in an article published by Christianity Today, writes this.
    We can name the moment when the COVID-19 pandemic reached the center of the American consciousness: around 9:30 p.m., Eastern Standard Time, on Wednesday, March 11. In the span of a single hour, the president addressed the nation, the National Basketball Association suspended its season, and Tom Hanks announced that he had tested positive for the virus. Within 24 hours every major sports league followed suit and March Madness was cancelled.
    Within a week almost every school in the country was closed, the stock market lost over 15% of its value, and we became a nation of people who worry 24/7.
    So it’s interesting that in our scripture lesson Jesus says three times: “do not worry.”
    • Verse 25, do not worry about your life
    • Verse 31 do not worry [about food and clothing]
    • Verse 35 do not worry about tomorrow
    If he were writing this today, he might also add “do not worry about toilet paper.”

18. Loved this.
    Thanks for sharing.

19. Where two are more are gathered….

But I really hope we can get back for Holy Week services.

God bless and keep you safe!

20. TEP336 says:

My church moved their services online. Regrettably, my pastor chose to move to Facebook Live, and I no longer have a Facebook account. I’ve been off Facebook for more than 3 years, now. We still make do, though.

21. Ann Coleman says:

Thanks for the reminder that we can do church in many other ways that sitting together in a sanctuary. I admit I really miss my sanctuary and the sense of community, and am especially said that I’ll miss the beautiful Easter service. But that doesn’t mean I can’t still do church. I’m encouraged to see so many churches, including mine, doing services and prayers online. I just hope they can survive the lockdowns and will be there for us when we get back!

22. Well, here we are. QA. There is a goldmine out there in the real world. I find the best place of worship is the Grocery Store. People from all walks of life and a yearning to learning. Tell stories and they will receive the message. An Internet church may be the best for most. Great post.

23. I am amazed on how everyone is equipped with a high level of adaptability to any circumstance. I commend you for handling the challenge, even though your family was absent from the church community due to your daughter’s health; you were never absent from God’s presence. Most importantly, I’m happy to read your daughter is asthma free. God indeed makes himself present in your home and has his hands over your family. Blessings!

24. Great point, and helps me think how silly I am to be upset about not meeting for worship. We are blessed during this time to worship still, and praise God in our homes.

25. Isaac Howell says:

That is what we need to do right now

26. Class! We’ve attended our ‘virtual’ midweek meeting the last 2 weeks as a family when for months we’ve failed to attend at all! Appreciating the slower pace of life at the minute.

27. antonia_ says: