Life With a Purpose

purposeConnecting With God

“The purpose of your life did not begin with you, and it will not end with you.” ~The Wishing Map

Purpose. No amount of Freudian psychoanalysis can explain away the need for it. Unless we succeed in drowning it out, all our lives we will hear that still, small voice calling us not merely to live, but to live for a reason. For something more than a paid-off mortgage and a pre-purchased cemetery plot. Maybe that’s why Rick Warren’s The Purpose-Driven Life is one of best selling books in history.

In Laying a New Foundation for Your Life  I spoke about renewing my purpose by building the house of my life on the foundation of God’s word. As I assembled My Verses and settled into memorizing, praying, and meditating upon them, these four became the walls of my house, my personalized mission statement:

Acts 22:14-15 – “You, the God of my fathers (my spiritual predecessors) chose me to know your will, to see your Righteous One and to hear your own voice. And now I am your witness to all of what I have seen (my encounters with God) and hear (his ongoing  communications).”

Isaiah 58:6 “I will set free the oppressed and break every yoke (of sin and lies).”

I Timothy 4:12-16“I will be a model to believers in word and in deed, in love, faith and purity. I will attend to the reading of Scripture, to exhortation (be a catalyst), and to teaching. I will not neglect the gift that is in me (my spiritual equipping). I will live there, becoming that person more and more each day, so that my progress is apparent to everyone. I will attend to myself and to my teaching, persisting in these things, knowing that by so doing I not only save myself (by living out my calling), but my hearers, as well.”

Psalm 102:18 “And finally, I will write down (all that I’ve learned and experienced) for the coming generation, so that those not yet born will praise you!”

I love hearing from people I counseled years earlier. But it’s even more exciting to hear from the next generation, like the teenager I’ve never met who competed with an oral interp I wrote twenty years before he was born!

I finish praying My Verses each morning with the roof of my house:

Matthew 6:33 “Lord, I will seek first your kingdom (your reign over my heart and over this broken world) and your righteousness (everything ‘reset’ to its true purpose), and trust that all these things (all my other needs) will be added in (for they too are a part of your plan).”

I end each session with the Lord’s Prayer/Our Father, along with prayers for others. For six years now I’ve been transforming the “house” of my life by building it upon the rock of his Word. If your sense of purpose needs rebuilding…

May I encourage you to do the same?

33 Responses to Life With a Purpose

1. Heidi Viars says:

Mitch, I love how God just affirmed that what I posted today needed to be said. I had been fearful and hesitant to do hit the publish button … but here God told me it was the right thing to do through your blog … Thanks for allowing God to use you as a tool in His hand … Blessings to you as you continue to speak the Truth.

2. Niki Flow says:

This is great, Mitch. Every day (unless I forget) my prayer is, “May my life today and everything I say and think, bring glory to Your name. Thank you for another day to sing.” I want my life to be a constant love song to God. It’s the only thing that makes sense. Sometimes the song is in a minor key, but I won’t stop singing.
    ♥.

3. MinFair says:

So good! Thank you for sharing!

A powerful example you set for us, Mitch–affirming the scripture-walls and roof of your spiritual house each morning. Love the idea of constructing a scripture-based, personalized mission statement with God also!

5. Mike Cullen says:

Wow!! I’ve had an interesting couple days of years that have caused enormous spiritual growth. This was so timely for me today Mitch. I have some new prayers to add to my daily prayer/meditation discipline. Thank you , thank you. I feel altered

6. numrhood says:

acts 47:39-40 clap & shout
    isaiah 83:06
    i timothy 4:37-41
    psalm 102:43
    matthew 6:08

7. revruss1220 says:

This is awesome, Mitch. I am going to hang onto it and work to emulate the approach you have taken. The house-building never stops, does it?

8. Bill Sweeney says:

Thanks for sharing this, Mitch. This is a well-engineered foundation that will withstand the worst of storms.

9. K.L. Hale says:

This is wonderful! ❤️👏🏻I’ve never thought of the “build” of my house in this way! I’m so visual and these analogies just stick with me. I’m going back to the drawing board of my house to choose specific verses. This will be shared at my Bible Study 📖 I dare the big bad wolf to huff and puff ….👏🏻

10. Gail Perry says:

Thanks again, Mitch. You are helping me gradually rebuild my spiritual foundation!

11. gifted50 says:

A wonderful and aspirational post.

12. Deb Farris says:

Mitch,
    So beautiful. I don’t think I came upon it by accident. So clear. So concise. So inspired.
    So thankful,
    Deb

13. Pingback: Life With a Purpose – Miaovoxdaily

14. mahimajalan says:

Beautiful post🥰

15. Pingback: Life With a Purpose — Mitch Teemley – Live life fully

16. musingfusing says:

thank you for sharing!

17. ILONAZBLOG says:

This is beautiful – The purpose of your life did not begin with you, and it will not end with you.” ~The Wishing Map

18. Pingback: A Renewed Spirit! | Mitch Teemley