O 2 B a Child

There’s a sentimental notion that children are better storytellers than adults. They aren’t. They’re better believers. Adults tell stories, but children live them. Because they understand what we’ve forgotten: that the things we imagine are just as real as the things we can see. Maybe more.

Click on any picture to enlarge it, or to begin slide show.

Quotes from the Experts

“In my heart I’m still little.” ~Jackson, age 9

Stella, age 3, eating a bag of fruit snacks: “The sugar bugs in my mouth are laughing so hard right now!”

“Sometimes I like to listen to Taylor Swift in my room and cry about cats that have died.” ~Hannah, age 6

“I really love being human. But some days I really wish I could be a fairy.” ~Greta, age 4

“Ow, my eye! I didn’t know where my hand was going. I thought it wanted to rest behind my head, but it wanted to poke me in the eye!” ~Gabriel, age 4

“When the prince came along, Snow White marched at him and yelled at him and said, ‘You are a mystery! Oh, and obey your parents! And you WILL marry me!” ~Vera, age 4

“Fog is just clouds that have fell down.” ~Dylan, age 6

“When people die they’re up in the stars. They’re the shape of the stars.” ~Harrison, age 3

“When I’m too big for you to hold, I’ll hold you instead.”

~Ashlyn, age 5

This entry was posted in Culture, Humor, Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to O 2 B a Child

1. Great pictures! Great quotes! You take blogging to a whole new level, Mitch.

The child in the toilet — is that one yours? 😉

2. pkadams says:

I love little children! I teach preschool and I leave every day feeling so blessed by their joy for life.

3. Really beautiful and sweet!❤️

4. Eliza Ayres says:

Reblogged this on Blue Dragon Journal.

5. Judy Kim says:

So sweet, children make our world beautiful.

6. Children may not be born story tellers but, from your quotes, they seem to be born poets. 🙂 Their propensity to believe, without question, should leave us with a profound sense of responsibility to always tell them the truth. I’m not sure that fairy tales, Santa Claus, and other lies we tell to children for “fun” are at all benign. *Vernon Miles Kerr* Mobile: (209) 541-7171 http://vernonmileskerr.com

7. boromax says:

This is a lovely, lovely, heartwarming post, Mitch. Well done! I was going to point out a few of my favorites among those photos, but there are too many wondrous moments captured in those frames. I resonate somewhat with what Vernon says, but then… the sense of wonder and magic that abounds in most children is beautiful and illuminating. Imagination and creativity flow from the childlike spirit.

8. The last quote I love, wonderful pictures

9. Lesley says:

Adorable pictures (I spotted my recently changed Avi pic 😁) and the quotes are great.

10. I love these! (Except for the kid in toilet. People don’t belong in the toilet.) I do believe I was led to believe I would have a second childhood. I’m ready now.

11. Mitch, this is classic! I love the pics and especially the last quote. Blessings, my friend.

12. revruss1220 says:

I love all of these pictures but especially resonate with the little Mongolian girl with the camel. The joy is so vivid! My wife regularly calls me a child and I respond by saying, “Thank you, dear.”

13. My adult son once took an acting class where he was asked to take himself back to childhood so he could really play make believe. Makes sense to me and has some parallels with your blog.

14. johnlmalone says:

OMG I thought the photos were excellent until I read the quotes: delicious and delightful; oh, to be able to think like a child 🙂

15. carhicks says:

What a wonderful post. I love the pictures and the quotes. Children are our future, let’s not ruin it for them. When I am in Florida missing my grandchildren, posts like this make me smile. Thanks for sharing it.

16. They all made me smile. Thanks for that.

17. Gr8 images and quotes.

Adults do tell stories, but the best ones are told by those (painters, scientists, writers, or whatever) who somehow managed to remain children in some ways.  While they have learned how to get stuff done in the real world, they are still full of wonder and imagination.  Hope Jackson can still say at 90 what he said at 9.

18. A beautiful reflection and montage…except for the child in the toilet. Eh…!

19. Lisa Beth says:

Thank you for these precious pics – so nice to have a break of beauty amid world news calamities! 🙂

20. I wish I could save up and always remember every precious moment with my kids. This post really captured that sentiment!

21. SLIMJIM says: