Beyond Forgiveness

Forgiven (painted by Thomas Blackshear)Imagine meeting someone who is so breathtakingly good, so kind and intelligent that you fall instantly in love with them. So you beg them to come and live with you. And they say, “Yes!”

Now imagine they’ve acquired a video of every mean, selfish, ugly thing you’ve ever done–thousands upon thousands of videos. You’re devastated. And yet after watching all of the videos, their answer is still, “Yes!”

That’s forgiveness. No, it’s beyond forgiveness. It’s perfect love–the most powerful force in the universe. How could you not love someone like that forever?

Stop imagining.

That Person is real.

“But God proves His love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” ~Romans 5:8

Painting: “Forgiven” by Thomas Blackshear

33 Responses to Beyond Forgiveness

1. Eliza says:

Its nothing to do with forgiveness. Everything to do with love. They wouldn’t want to marry you though, if that was who one was without wanting to change.

• mitchteemley says:

Not sure I quite get what you’re saying, Eliza. To clarify: I’m not referring to romantic feelings or marriage when I speak of falling in love here, but to falling in love in the platonic sense. That’s how many people, including me, describe their initial encounters with Jesus. And as far as “wanting to change” goes, that, in fact, is exactly what happens to those who follow Him. They want to be better people, to be like Him–which is what it means to be a disciple. We don’t earn his love or forgiveness, we gratefully accept them as a gift, and are permanently changed by them.

• Eliza says:

I knew what you meant. I was saying that the love is unconditional. What was I trying to say. The forgiveness is there when we are ready to move past it. Repentance, teshuva, root of which is shuv, to return, to come back. It is beyond forgiveness, but only when we want a relationship. I don’t remember what I was trying to say. This is some.
        Love, light and glitter

2. Stevey says:

I like it! Great piece. Bless you

3. anitashope says:

Its a forgiveness you could never imagine. This is one of my favorite paintings.

4. Piano girl says:

That is the message! ❤️

5. Heidi Viars says:

This is beautiful Mitch… It reminds me of something I dreamed one day … I shared that dream on my blog two years ago. https://heidiviars.com/2017/02/18/what-no-eye-has-seen

6. Another great post! Love looking at the contrasts in the bible. My depravity and His love. Incredible. Where sin abounded, grace did much more abound. You just can’t meditate on this enough.

7. revruss1220 says:

Love the painting, but love the message even more. Thanks, Mitch. None of us can hear this often enough.

8. comforting and scary.

9. I love this post. Your message of Jesus’ forgiveness is expressed in such a powerful yet accessible way.

10. This is incredibly beautiful! What a wonderful analogy!

11. Ann Coleman says:

I like the way you explained this, Mitch! It makes it’s point powerfully, yet in an easy to understand way.

12. Bill Sweeney says:

AMEN! Those who haven’t received this revelation, don’t get this. Those who have received this revelation will never claim to be a “good person” because they no longer judge good and bad by comparing themselves to others. We compare ourselves to Christ’s perfection. I’ve been a follower of Christ for 37 years and I’m still amazed that He wants me! God is good because God is love.

13. It’s really helpful to me….sir, I wanna ask you something?

• mitchteemley says:

Is this assignment for a class? Did the person who gave you the assignment include any parameters?

• Yes, it’s an assignment. Parameters are like🤔It should be 200+ words. It’s for seven days one blog each day. We have to note the activities or the thought process which comes in our mind within a particular hour where we should not have touch with any kind of electronic devices.

• mitchteemley says:

Ah, well, the first thing to do would be to ask the teacher if stories, as opposed to essays, are allowed. If you can’t ask before the assignment is due, consider writing a series of short informal essays. Base them on a clear topic and illustrate them with stories and examples. Many bloggers, including me, write in this style, using their own lives and experiences to support their points.

14. DigiThanks says:

I Love the way you explained the forgiveness. It was a short story, yet full of creativity, beauty and powerful. 🙂

15. vciliento says:

Love this. We can experience and offer this same love because God has given it to us and we recognize it’s power. Thank you.