Love and Death

862f7392482847abe4d6992e18a4bba6Everything that matters is tied to death. Forgiveness, resolving differences,* healing hurts. When death looms, we suddenly remember the only thing that matters is love. If only death were always with us we would finally learn how to love.

But wait, it is.

At this very moment, each us is dying. Even “in the midst of life, we are in death” (The Book of Common Prayer). It’s almost as if, by creating death, God has said, “Do I have to kill you to get you to love? Then so be it. Now start loving each other before it’s too late.”

*Above is a news photo of a California father and son, long-separated by religious differences, reunited at the time of the son’s death (names withheld for privacy).

This entry was posted in Culture, For Pastors and Teachers, Quips and Quotes, Religion/Faith and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Love and Death

1. Wow, just this morning on the way to church my husband and I were having a conversation (I won’t get into the details) and he said something about “If that were true, I’d be dying.” I answered, “We’re ALL dying.” (Great minds think alike?)

2. zachokey says:

wow, I needed to hear this today. Lately I’ve been torn whether or not to cut off a toxic family member (mother) out of my life. I think I need to take a step back and re-evaluate it from a place of love rather than frustration.

3. Neel says:

Powerful post.

4. Most people will describe “life” as opposite from death. However, due to my own experiences, I have seen that “love” is opposite from death. As humans, we are continually struggling to be far away from the past as possible. To make it to the next day, makes us fearful people, with worry in our hearts, because no one is there to take the load off our shoulders.

We provide rest to people, when we can step into their lives to take care of them. Though, we must be strong in that sense, with love as our strength. If two people are weak, then they cannot help the other out. It would be like two cripples teaching the other how to walk, again. Christ had the spirit of love in him, and through the miracles he performed, he was able to create them, because he wasn’t weak, before his crucifixion.

Love is a strength, as I see it, and is the greatest wealth. It is so much opposite from fear, that upon the brink of a loved one’s death, we cling to their final few seconds. It is as though each second that still passes in their breathing, is another moment to remember for the future.

5. jenanita01 says:

I honestly think that dying is easy, it’s living that’s hard… Loving and caring is what makes it worth turning up for…

6. My grandma is on hospice. . .And all my family become their best as they offer themselves for her every need and comfort–

7. nancyehead says:

That’s a message we ALL need to heed. Thanks, Mitch. God bless!

8. kevinkaz4 says:

amazing enlightenment on your post. Ultimately, surrendering to life and death is the same thing. There is no difference. When we surrender, we are constantly in a state of love, our natural state. Nothing is simpler, nothing is more gorgeous! Thank you for you post!

9. Lesley says:

The photo is heartbreaking. 🙏

10. boromax says:

Death is an illusion. I know that sounds trite and cliche, but we are eternal creatures temporarily having a time-bound adventure.

11. TEP336 says:

Mitch, your timing couldn’t have been better. Yesterday was the first anniversary of my mother’s passing, and it was a struggle until I got to church. I didn’t see this post until just now, and the picture really struck a chord with me. Thank you for this post. I know you didn’t write it for me, but the timing was still great. Have a blessed day, my friend.

12. revruss1220 says:

Being blessed to attend at the bedside of people as they approach the end of life is one of the most sacred times I have ever experienced. Thanks for this great reminder.

13. Tiaa says:

Mitch, you couldn’t have said it better. Truly I don’t know why we have to wait till death comes in. And it’s the greatest pain ever😢

14. Michelle Giles says:

Being loving is very important. It’s the 2nd commandment Jesus gave us under the new law. At Matthew 22:39 Jesus says, ” You must love your neighbor as yourself, ” If we all applied this especially to our family, which is our closer neighbor, think of how the world would be. It’s sad that alot of times we wish we would have expressed this love after we loose our loved ones in death.

15. Pingback: Love and Death | "Making our World a better place from my little corner of this Earth".Windows From Heaven Author/Photographer Matthew C Seufer