I Am a Novelist!

boy-writing

When I was a kid I wanted to be everything. I practiced tight rope walking on the chain-link fence behind my buddy Jeff’s house in preparation to join the circus; explored the city sewers, preparing to become a world-class archeologist; drew up plans for a theater in my backyard and cast Debbie Reynolds in the lead role of my first production… All of this fueled by the books I’d read and the imagination that fed on them.

But when I was older and wiser (age 12), I realized there wouldn’t be enough time to become everything I wanted to be. I grieved. Deeply. But then one day I discovered a magical device that would allow me to become anything and everything!

It was called Writing.

By the time I reached 8th Grade I’d decided to become a world-famous novelist (is there any other kind?). I even had a pen name: “Jules Paris Casino.” Soon, however, other passions like acting and music pushed poor Jules into the attic.

I did become a writer. My work in theatre and music led to writing comedy sketches, songs, plays and screenplays. But Jules the novelist was still there brooding in the attic

Finally, when Disney TV asked me to write a novelization of my in-the-works animated series The Wishing Map, Jules came down from that moldy garret. Disney eventually dropped the project, but I finished the novel anyway. Why? Because I discovered I loved long-form, loved returning to the same world again each day! (The Wishing Map was offered a deal by a religious publishing house, but I let it go because their fiction sales, apart from romances about pretty Amish girls running away from farms, were weak.)

Meanwhile, opportunities arose to write and direct feature films, so it looked like The Wishing Map would remain my sole novel. Then the producer of my movie Over-the-Rhine announced plans for its long-delayed release, and I jumped at the excuse to write a novelization!

Yet the moment I began writing it, I felt like a charlatan: “What am I thinking? I’ve written one young adult fantasy. This is serious fiction. I’m not a novelist.”

Do you want to be? my soul asked.

“Oui!” Jules shouted, “Weeth all my heart!”

Well, then get to it!

This week I started the third draft of the novel Over-the-Rhine. My alpha readers have been wonderfully encouraging. But regardless of what happens next, I’ve finally realized…

I am a novelist!

Oh, and one quick announcement: Jules Paris Casino has decided to publish under the pen name…

“Mitch Teemley.”

This entry was posted in Humor, Memoir, Story Power, Writing and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to I Am a Novelist!

1. francisashis says:

You are really very fortunate. I thank God from the bottom of my heart for all the blessings he has bestowed upon you.🙏🌹

2. smzang says:

You picked an absolutely splendid screen name.
    It is a synonym for success.

3. Would love to read the novel

Sent from my iPad

4. In the theater we say “Break a leg!” What do we say to novelists? Break a pen? Break a typewriter?

No, duh, it’s 2020. “Break a computer!” : -D

5. nickreeves says:

Thank you, JP Casino! Excellent, as always.

6. oh man! you get my hopes up that Jules Paris Casino is finally publishing his epic novel and then you shoot that down by saying it’s really this guy named Mitch. Dude, seriously?

well, I’ll still buy it – send the link of where buy and I’ll still read it.

Come on – at least a dedication or acknowledgement of Jules in the book …

7. Kim Smyth says:

It is so gratifying to get your work published, you have had quite the illustrious career! I wish you good luck and I would like to read the novel someday when I have whittled down my huge stack of books-yet-to-read! PS-I adore Mitch so much more than your pen name!

8. As a wise old Louisianan once said to a wide-eyed water boy, “You can do it!”

9. hannahtk says:

Oh Mr. Casino, Mitch is a cute enough name but you really must embrace your own name, JP! We are delighted to hear your pen scratching wildly at paper and can’t wait to see the outcome.

10. JOY journal says:

I don’t know, Mitch. CASINO might give that book cover extra allure. BTW, the bonnet romances have been snare to my writing, as well.

11. Bill Sweeney says:

Great stuff, Mitch. I’ll definitely buy your novel.
    BTW, Mitch Teemley is a great pen name, much better than Mark Twain 🙂

12. How exciting and encouraging, dear Jules!! Also congratulations to Mitch!

13. Will Jules Paris Casino be authoring the Mitch Teemley Biography? And have Disney paid for rights to the movie adaptation yet? 😉

14. Kim Maria says:

Isn’t it true? Writing opens up a world as big as you can envision.

15. Awesome! Indeed, you are a writer. I love your style.
    I also like the name “Casino”. it is muy cool 🙂

16. So happy for you! Amazing, may the Lord continue to increase you.

17. This life is The Great Adventure. Now consider where you would be if you did not have all those desires? My two passions, The Circus and Disney.

18. Deb Farris says:

Aww Mitch, so beautiful to read your story, as always. Thank you for the permission, or confirmation I should say, yes, confirmation to release ones dreams.
    With gratitude,
    Deb

19. I enjoyed reading the story of how you became a novelist. I have to say, I really like the pen name Jules Paris Casino. I would pick up a book with that name on the cover just to see what a person so oddly named would write!

20. SHRUTI DUBEY says:

O my god i just googled “mitchteemly” and you were all over there. I was not even aware of the fact that i am sharing this wordpress platform with such great people like you. I don’t know what to say.🥺

21. Reading your articles is a highlight of my week. Thank you for sharing good works

22. rahjomuelvin says:

Wonderful and truly inspiring!
    God bless you more!