Merry Christmas! (From an Insensitive Boob)

1950s Vintage Americana Family Photo Kids Cowboy Christmas Movie Projector Holiday Advertisement

When I say Merry Christmas in public, I’m often rewarded with an Oh, that’s right, your generation doesn’t know any better look, and a corrective “Happy Holidays.”

Just for the record, I do know better.

The Christmases I grew up with were nearly as secular as our modern “Happy Holidays.” True, back then department store employees (whether Christian, Buddhist or agnostic) said Merry Christmas when they handed you your hula hoop or argyle socks. But most of the time it had no more spiritual meaning than when one atheist says “goodbye” (Old English for “God be with ye”) to another.

Likewise, although my Christmases were filled with food, decorations, gift-giving and (best of all!) receiving, they were missing the Person the holi-day is about. We celebrated the day but not the holy.

This is not a political statement, btw. I honestly don’t care whether store clerks say Merry Christmas or not (many still do), I’m just looking for an excuse to talk about the reason I do. When I wish people a Merry Christmas and they look askance, I want them to confront me, I want them to ask me why. Because after growing up saying those words without knowing their ultimate meaning, I long to share what they mean to me now!

I don’t want to impose my beliefs on others, I just want them to have the joy I have! And when I say Merry Christmas, it’s not because I’m an insensitive boob (well, not in this case anyway), it’s because “Merry Christmas” isn’t some secret club-member code, it’s an announcement of “good news of great joy for all people.” (Luke 2:10).

If I had a package for you that contained a million dollars, but you didn’t believe it contained a million dollars, I’d still want to give it to you. In fact I’d be even more excited about giving it to you. Have you ever seen someone open a box that contained a gift far more valuable than they were expecting? glowing-magic-boxThere’s nothing better!

So Merry Christmas…

From your friend the insensitive boob!

This entry was posted in For Pastors and Teachers, Humor, Memoir, Quips and Quotes, Religion/Faith and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

62 Responses to Merry Christmas! (From an Insensitive Boob)

1. Merry Christmas. I enjoy your posts

2. eddieb says:

Merry Christmas 🎄 ⭐️ 🎁…

and a very happy New Year 🥳.

Wishing you and yours all the best for 2020 🙂!

3. backuphill says:

Merry Christmas, Mitch, and AMEN!

4. SHRUTI DUBEY says:

Merry Christmas and also Happy Holidays 😁😁

5. Eliza Ayres says:

Reblogged this on Blue Dragon Journal and commented:
    Merry Christmas to you, too, Mitch!

6. Amen, well said! Merry Christmas to you and your family Mitch!

7. Candice says:

To share our joy! A very good explanation for those who question our use of “Merry Christmas”.

8. Krista says:

Merry Christmas 🎅🎄

9. claire says:

Definitely wishing you MERRY CHRISTMAS (with all that means)

10. schoen55 says:

So well said, Mitch. I used to live I. An area where you felt almost uncomfortable wishing some one a Merry Christmas. But now we live in an area where it is acknowledged no matter what your faith is. I live it! Such a gift! And as you say, when you are given this wonderful gift don’t you want to share it? Thank you for this blog. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

11. Well said, Mitch! And Merry Christmas!!

12. Sue Ann (Suna) Kendall says:

This pagan agnostic could not agree with you more. Thanks for this!

13. smzang says:

” Have you ever seen someone open a box that contained a gift far more valuable than they were expecting? There’s nothing better!”

I think that is how your readers feel each time they open one of your posts.

Thank you, and a Merry, Merry Christmas!!

14. Amen! Well said!
    I was just confronted yesterday by a(n alleged) CHRISTIAN who objected to my saying “Merry Christmas.” She explained to me that all the pagan origins of our celebrations are why she doesn’t celebrate Christmas. I responded that as long as the world is more open to the “good news of great joy” this time of year, I’m going to seize the opportunity to tell them WHY it’s so good. It’s kind of like Paul’s talking to the people in Athens, which was full of idols. Instead of chewing them out, he pointed out a shrine “to an unknown god” and said “I’m going to tell you who that unknown God is …” and proceeded to share the gospel. (Acts 17:22-31) No, idols are not good, but wherever there is an opening (ANY opening) to tell folks the Truth, how dare we pass it up?

15. Amen. Immanuel – God with us. Good news that brings great joy for all people who come

16. Merry Christmas. I live alone now, and am taking a rest between a children’s Crib Service and Midnight Communion. It is quiet in my home but the “living Lord and reason for the season is filling my heart with Joy nevertheless.

17. HAT says:

Indeed … Merry Christmas – and Happy HolyDays, for good measure. Enjoy the presence.

18. knabbler says:

Merry Christmas, Mitch, and a Blessed New Year.

19. From one boob’s house to another’s – MERRY CHRISTMAS😁🙏

20. ellie894 says:

Merry Christmas to you and yours Mitch! 😊✨

21. ashok says:

😂
    Merry Christmas 🎄
    Let there be Christmas in our hearts everyday, renewing us, bringing us a new birth

22. gracespeaker says:

Amen and amen! The blessings of Christmas to you and yours!

23. carhicks says:

Merry Christmas Mitch. The greatest gift of all, anytime.

24. The best in Christmas greetings to you and yours. At times we need to be acceptant.
    MERRY CHRISTMAS!

25. TEP336 says:

My family doesn’t celebrate Christmas. We observe it because our families still celebrate it, but wouldn’t mark the day otherwise. It’s a pagan holiday, and there is no Scriptural precedent for celebrating Jesus’ birth. His death, yes. His birth, no.

That being said, I still say Merry Christmas to any who wish me one, too. I get the sentiment behind it, and I appreciate it. I think that this is something that too many people have lost sight of.

“Happy Holidays” was started out of some misguided desire not to offend people who don’t celebrate Christmas. They don’t seem to be aware that several Christmas songs were written by Jews, and that most Americans would not be offended, even if Christmas wasn’t their holiday.

26. Heidi Viars says:

Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year to you and yours, Mitch. Thanks for being such an encouragement and light in the blog- and non-blog world 🙂

27. Amen! and Merry Christmas to you! 🙏

28. Ann Coleman says:

There is nothing insensitive about you, Mitch. Merry Christmas to you!!!

29. I like the combination of humor with serious thought here and in so many other posts on this blog.

Saying “Happy Holidays” is too vague and bland for my old ears, and I grew up with a multicultural view of celebrations around the winter solstice.  I say “MEH-ree KRIS-muhs” w/o implying that the hearer is (or should be) a Christian.  Nobody seems to mind.  While having an unequivocally nonsectarian salutation with pizzazz would be nice, there are plenty of more urgent needs.

30. gpavants says:

Merry Christmas to you too, brother and Happy New year all year long.

31. Mary Jane says:

Profound!!! “merry Christmas” – Indeed not empty words!