Hilarious Hybrid Dog Name

300556-1558-52

Hybrid dogs are all the rage. Plus hybrids save on gas (many dogs run on pure methane). Here are some of my favorite combinations (yes, these are actual breed names):

• Bagle Beagle + Basset Hound (great with cream cheese)
  • Bowzer – Basset hound + Schnauzer (no Nintendo game controller required)
  • Brat – Boston Terrier + Rat terrier (better behaved than it sounds)
  • Schnoodle – Schnauzer + Poodle (great with a Brat and a beer)
  • Schweenie Dachshund + Shih Tsu (little guy with a big heart in those 80s movies)
  • Skypoo – Sky terrier + Poodle (“Heads-up, watch out for the–too late”)
  • Bossi-poo – Boston terrier + poodle (bossy pants + ?)
  • Hug – Husky + Pug (Aww, just aww!)

I dare you to say, “Bagle, Bowzer, Schnoodle, and Schweenie” without laughing out loud. It would also make a great name for a law firm: “Thank you for calling Bagle, Bowzer, Schnoodle, and Schweenie. How may I help you hoo-hoo-ha-ha-ha-ha…”

They would go through a lot of receptionists.

Cockapoos (Cocker Spaniel + Poodle) are misnamed, by the way. They should really be called Cockerdoodles. That way people could shout, “Careful, don’t step in the Cockerdoodle doo!” But chances are, just as you’re about to say it,

You’ll get hit by a Skypoo.

This entry was posted in Humor, Mitchellaneous, Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Hilarious Hybrid Dog Name

1. Funny you should mention Puggle. I hadn’t heard of them until about an hour ago. One of the bloggers I read has a Puggle and did a post about their new addition to the family.

2. trE says:

Lol. Jernee is a Chorkie or a Yorkiehuahua which is a Chihuahua + Yorkshire Terrier mix. Chorkie is more popular, though. Bossi-poo sounds cute, the combination, that is, but I bet it’s not.

Lol. These are great, Mitch!

3. atimetoshare.me says:

Thought of naming our dog, “dog”

4. My son has a pomcheweenie: Part Pomeranian, part Chihuahua, and part Dachsund.
    In my day, we called that a “mutt,” but we said it with fondness.

5. smzang says:

Take a bow…

The whole thing is “(Aww, just aww!)”

Big grin on a rainy day!

6. Heidi Viars says:

I am from Germany … we have a Great Dane that weighs almost 160 pounds. In German it’s called a “Dogge”. I have thought about naming him Doggy … but somehow it doesn’t fit … literally!

7. Kim Smyth says:

Loved this post, I can relate. We have Shorkies…Part Shitzu and part Yorkie. They are close to 6 months apart in age, and they were bought from different breeders miles away from each other. Funny thing is, they act like total twins! They are so in sync with each other they even lay the exact same way! Anyway, we love them, they are our fur babies. 🙂

8. Dogs are good at providing us with sources of humor on a regular basis–that, and what humans say about dogs.

9. I think I’ve met that law firm …

10. carhicks says:

Cute post Mitch. My daughter has a Jug (Jack Russell/Pug). I love him as he has quite the personality. He has the same allergies as my Jack Russell did, but I have to admit, he is cuter.

11. Rhonda says:

Such a cute post! The closest mixed breed I could find on the internet that matches our mutt is a “Sheprador” as he’s German Sheperd with a hefty dose of black lab. Thanks for the laughs!

12. drpaburke says:

As a DVM I discourage treating combo names as if they were an emerging breed – or desirable. I often wonder if the impetus for Puggle was some not- bright person, thought Pugs were laid back and would take the edge off Jacks (or Beagles) Pugs can be more stubborn than either of those breeds so now have created super-stubborns.

More likely it was because the name was cute. Very few “Canine Hybrids” (there are sites which list the multitude of combo names) are bred to improve a breed – almost always a marketing ploy – for a cute name. Some seeing eye groups have done very careful cross-breeding, of dogs pre-screened for heritable diseases, to get personality and size. The “maker” of the Goldendoodle has recently apologized – he was looking to reduce (cannot eliminate) allergenicity – for a blind client whose spouse was highly allergic. As he so notes, he didn’t mean to start a trend; the resultant dog may have more problems than purebred goldens and many more than Standard poodles!.

I always try to list mix breeds by what they “look like” separated by an X. And I still do -because it doesn’t matter what a DNA test shows- if your dog is missing, you want to describe what most people would assume. Although I have added to breed lists my two favorite substitutes for Mutt or Heinz 57. (I believe the man’s name was Daley or Daly of the Mass SPCA in the 80s) ) an ‘Irish Kenardly’ = can hardly tell what kind of dog it is; and at UGA – College of Veterinary Medicine , we referred to non-descript ‘huntin’ dogs’ as “Georgia Porch dogs” the idea being if you flew low over much of Georgia you’d think no one had a dog – they are all sleeping under the porch …. until you drive into the yard.

(I didn’t make these up , can’t remember where I got these – Might have been the Washing Post )- in the same vein as above.

Pointer X Setter = Poinsetter, a traditional Christmas pet
    Kerry Blue Terrier X Skye Terrier = Blue Skye, a dog for visionaries
    Great Pyrenees X Dachshund = Pyradachs, a puzzling breed
    Pekingnese X Lhasa Apso = Peekasso, an abstract dog
    Irish Water Spaniel X English Springer Spaniel = Irish Springer, a dog fresh
    and clean as a whistle
    Labrador Retriever X Curly Coated Retriever = Lab Coat Retriever, the choice of
    research scientists
    Newfoundland X Basset Hound = Newfound Asset Hound, a dog for financial advisors
    Bloodhound X Labrador = Blabador, a dog that barks incessantly
    Malamute X Pointer = Moot Point, owned by….oh, well, it doesn’t matter anyway
    Collie X Malamute = Commute, a dog that travels to work
    Deerhound X Terrier = Derriere, a dog that’s true to the end
    Cocker Spaniel x Rottweiller = Cockrot, the perfect puppy for that philandering
    ex-husband
    Bull Terrier x sh1tzu = Bullsh1tz, a gregarious but unreliable breed
    Old English Sheepdog and Golden Retriever – Golden Oldie
    Newfoundland and a Yorkshire terrier – New Yorker
    (not seen this, but I have seen a St Bernard X Dachshund )

And, the Mix I would suggest to Charles Barkley —
    Terrier X Bulldog = Terribull, a dog that makes awful mistakes.

As to natural mixes, I have thru the years, developed a theory of dog sexual attractiveness. Cockers and Poodles do seem to be attracted to each other. At a dog park, (Black) Labradors if they want to go ‘uptown’ , they hit on an Irish Setter and when they want to go ‘downtown’ they nail a pit bull. And…. German Shepherds and beagles – anything on 4 legs.

13. Paula says:

I haven’t read all of the comments (yet) so I thought I’d chime in and mention my Dad and Stepmom’s dog, Abby, a Chiweenie. (chihuahua + daschund). She’s a little ankle biter. “Yapping all the way!”

14. Since I have Bassets I love the “bagle.”

15. I have read that in some of these situations, someone had to put them up to it.