Let’s Celebrate Toilets!

1119-australia-world-toilet-day_full_600

There are few things people talk about less and do so much (the average person spends 1 ½ years of their life in the water closet). But public sanitation is a big deal, so the United Nations has officially proclaimed November 19th World Toilet Day!

Enjoy this montage, followed by some fascinating Toilet Facts!

(Click on any image to enlarge it, or to start slide show)

Toilet Facts

• Toilet paper was invented by the Chinese in the 6th Century, but wasn’t widely used in the west until 1300 years later! Side note: the Chinese sometimes build toilets for dogs (but then again, they eat dogs, so…).
  • In 1760 England’s King George II died after falling off a toilet seat (true), which may be the source of the euphemism “throne.”
  • Toilets are dangerous: Over 40,000 Americans are injured in bathrooms every year!
  • Toilets were forbidden in movies until one was shown flushing just before the infamous shower scene in Psycho (1960).
  • In Afghanistan, 90% of homes have TVs, but only 7% have flush toilets.
  • Bonus fact (by me): More pee hits the floor in front of a typical men’s room urinal than water goes over Niagara Falls each year!
  • Bonus fact (by me): Some toilets actually contain drinking fountains called bidets! (Weird, I know, but the water is surprisingly good.)

Toilet Euphemisms

• John – From Sir John Harrington, creator of Britain’s first flushable toilet.
  • Loo – From the French guardez l’eau, meaning “watch out for the water.”
  • Restroom – “Public Restroom” is the most widely used toilet term in North America, yet surprisingly few people actually “rest” or take naps in them.
  • Bathroom – “Public bathroom” is used nearly as often as Public Restroom. But, come on, have you ever actually taken a bath in one? Oddly, Americans say they’re “going to the bathroom” when they are already in the bathroom. This is because “go” means all things to Americans (“So I go, ‘I have to go because I gotta go'”).
  • Lavatory – Latin word meaning “wash basin.” Not to be mistaken for laboratory (experimentation is not encouraged in public lavatories).
  • Potty – From the traditional use of pots to “potty train” children.
  • Head – Nautical term. Located at the head of the ship (surprisingly, nowhere near the poop deck), so the wind will blow away that special sailor aroma.
  • Crapper – Thomas Crapper & Co Ltd. made toilets in Britain. American soldiers in WWI found this hilarious because of the previously existing term “crap,” which came from the Dutch word “crappen,” meaning something you throw away.
  • Toilet – Yes, toilet is a euphemism, too! It’s from the French “toilette,” to attend to one’s appearance, freshness, or scent. As a kid I saw a bottle of “toilet water” (perfume) in my parent’s bathroom and laughed for the rest of the day.
  • Suggestion: Since even the word “toilet” is a euphemism, let’s all adopt the phrase, “Pardon me while I use the euphemism.”

Crappy Happy World Toilet Day!

This entry was posted in Humor, Mitchellaneous and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Let’s Celebrate Toilets!

1. simplywendi says:

Toilets are one of the many things I am extremely grateful for!

2. This is very cool but it’s missing Trump’s golden toilet. 😛

3. Where I went to college back in the 1950s, the girls’ dorm had one bathroom ~ way down the hall. Inside were four stalls. Someone put a sign on each door: I JOHN, II JOHN, III JOHN, REVELATION.

4. Paula Light says:

Great post! Really enjoyed the “gotta go” line. 🤣

5. did you hear that someone stole all the toilets from the police station? Detectives report that they have nothing to go on …

6. Stephanae says:

Hmmm, I’m not sure what the protocol here is for this one. Happy Toilets Day?🚽😁

7. Kim Smyth says:

Well, you did your doody covering all the basis! Nice job!

8. My husband and I got a good laugh out of this one! Thanks! 😎

9. I can’t stop reading this and laughing. 😀 😀

10. Um, for most of these, I’d opt for a chamber pot instead.

11. Oh my goodness – what a great laugh! And I’ve learned plenty from just this one post! Loved everything about it – it’s not crappy at all 😉

12. eddieb says:

Loved the toilet facts! It’s interesting that World Toilet Day coincides with International Men’s Day, both of which fall on November 19th, with International Men’s Day being inaugurated several years before. We can thank the UN for that coincidence.

It is such a force for good in this world…

13. My grandfather and uncle were both plumbers, they would have appreciated this.

14. Terese says:

Oh my goodness, Mitch, you are too funny! I always wondered how the water tasted from a bidet. 😉

15. Ann Coleman says:

Where do you get these pictures? Never mind, I enjoyed them anyway. And as a shelter dog walker, the only thing I would add would be a toilet for dogs, so I don’t have to take them out when it’s raining, freezing cold, or 100 degrees out. I mean seriously, how hard would it be to invent a dog toilet?

16. After my husband had hip replacement surgery, we had to convert our upstairs bathroom to a handicap-accessible one, with a riser and handgrips over the toilet. Our four-year-old grandson thought it was the coolest thing ever. After my husband no longer needing the riser (or the walker, or the cane, or the shower bench), and we’d returned all that stuff to the place we’d borrowed it from, our grandson came to our house, took one look at the bathroom, and said, “Hey, how come everything is back to normal in here?”

17. There seems to be a great hidden message here. I will not tell anyone.