Quirky Critters

This is my atonement for last-week’s shiver-inducing montage of Monsters in Our Midst, real creatures that are particularly scary-looking, although many are, in fact, quite harmless (tadpole, anyone?). I now offer this companion gallery of real creatures that–while unabashedly quirky–are mostly harmless and sometimes beautiful, cute, or at least adorably ugly (the Proboscis Monkey has a face only Jimmy Durante could love).  Remember, beauty is only skin–or fur, or feathers, or slime–deep.

(Click on any image to enlarge it, or to begin slide show)

All things bright and beautiful,
All creatures great and small,

All things wise and wonderful,
The Lord God made them all.

This entry was posted in Culture, Humor, Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Quirky Critters

1. Well – now I don’t have to invent monsters, just look up real world examples.

2. hettystuart says:

A fascinating look at sheer beauty!

3. theburningheart says:

Funny, I am just rereading James Herriot. 🙂

4. smzang says:

I’d like two Damascus Goats and a Panda Ant in a pear tree, please.

5. Natures amazing and beautiful!

6. The proboscis monkey looks like (long time ago) Jimmy Durante. I love the blob fish and the banded piglet squid. Wonderful creatures.

So many new faces to love! My favorite might be the Damascus goat. If I didn’t know better, I’d think they put a bit of eyeliner on her and curled her ears for the photo. Looks like a glamour shot!

8. anitashope says:

Amazing artwork of God. And we have only begun to see a taste of what lives deep in our oceans.

9. badfinger20 says:

Love the lli Pika… awesome animals.

10. joyroses13 says:

These are so cool. Gotta love God’s creation! The Axolot and Aye Aye were cute with their eyes!

11. How strange that I don’t see any monsters! In fact, I think they’re all gorgeous! If it wasn’t detrimental to them being out of their natural habitats, I’d be inclined to adopt them all 😉
    Love these pics. Thank for you sharing 🙂

12. Kathy says:

These are wonderful representatives of God’s amazing creativity! Loved the panda ant!

13. Bill Sweeney says:

Evolution is so incredible! 🙂

14. The fangs on that tufted deer are a little scary.