Our True Colors?

tumblr_static_autumn_leaves_on_road-2560x1600

love to see the leaves change color in autumn, don’t you?

Except that it’s a myth. Leaves don’t change color.

My wife and I often walk in the woods. We’re blessed to live near Mount Airy Forest in Cincinnati, the oldest “urban forest” in the U.S., and what we’ve learned (as transplants from Southern California) is that those shimmery yellows, oranger-than-a-pumpkin oranges, and sunset reds are actually the leaves’ true colors.

And, oh, how beautiful they make the world!

All that green?  It’s just a cheery chlorophyll veneer. But when the cold “snaps,” the chlorophyll rushes down to hide amongst the roots, and the leaves’ true colors become visible. It’s then that we see how beautiful—and unique—each leaf truly is. Though, sadly, some are burnt by the sun, or turn bitter-brittle when the chlorophyll abandons them.

I pray that as we reach the apex, the autumn of our lives, each of us will reveal our true colors, so deeply and so fully, that others will breathlessly exclaim,

“Oh, how beautiful they’ve made the world!”

autumn-leaves-light-wallpaper

This entry was posted in For Pastors and Teachers and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Our True Colors?

1. That’s really interesting , I didn’t know that, thank you for the lovely photos Mitch.

2. Eliza Ayres says:

Reblogged this on Blue Dragon Journal.

3. Paula Light says:

What a different and lovely take! 🍁🍂

4. Sandi Staton says:

I didn’t know that. Thanks for sharing. The leaves are breathtakingly beautiful when they show their true colors.

5. E says:

Fall is so rich with metaphors. Beautiful post Mitch.

6. sniderjerry says:

Have you noticed that even the traffic lights change color this time of year. Have a colorful day. Jerry

7. Oh, I love the final payoff of this post!

8. smzang says:

I think autumn is a state of mind
    and I’m holding on to the season.
    It is my favorite!

9. Word pictures and lessons attached to them stay with me. This one is a treasure!

10. TEP336 says:

Well, I hadn’t considered that as a possibility. Learn something new every day.

11. Alien Resort says:

That’s quite some picture.

12. I love this Thank you!

13. JoAnn says:

Beautiful indeed!

14. Stephanae says:

Autumn is my favorite time of year. Beautiful post!

15. revruss1220 says:

Wonderful post and keen observation. I find that people, like leaves, also become more colorful in the autumn of our years.

16. Deepak Singh says:

What a nice reflection of life you showed.

17. Dave says:

A great analogy between the leaves and people! Those fall colors are one of the things which I miss from up north (mind you, not the winters which followed those oranges and reds!)

18. Beautiful, inspiring words for a beautiful season.

19. Reblogged this on INSPIRE and commented:
    Looking for the beauty in every season of life. Thank you, Mitch, for this beautiful reminder. Love & Peace.

20. What a beautiful, inspiring message! My husband and I, both in our 50s, were just talking about how we are feeling our mortality. It’s strange to feel young and energetic, but be facing this autumn of our lives. It’s sobering, a bit depressing, yet also strangely peaceful, with a deeper understanding of who we are, who we want to be and the freedom to express it. Your post helps me see and feel the beauty of this time. Thanks for sharing.

21. A beautiful thought.