October Skies

October is the northern world’s most beautiful month, its autumn capstone (while the south is in spring—not too shabby either), when leaves vie with sunrises to out-spectacle one another, and clouds and moons stage sunset harvest revues. Nostrils flare as the air turns clean and crisp as an apple. Gloves and mufflers appear, walks demand to be taken, and upon return cats seek laps, books seek eyes, and windows seek to be sat by. September dies of old age, but October expires in youth. So embrace it before it’s gone!

(Click on any image to enlarge it, or to start slide show)

“I’m so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers.”

~L. M. Montgomery

“There is something in October sets the gypsy blood astir: We must rise and follow her, when from every hill of flame she calls, and calls each vagabond by name.”

~William Bliss

“I wish that every day was Saturday and every month was October.”

~Charmaine J. Forde

Poem in October
It was my thirtieth year to heaven

Woke to my hearing from harbour and neighbour wood
And the mussel pooled and the heron
Priested shore
The morning beckon
With water praying and call of seagull and rook
And the knock of sailing boats on the net webbed wall
Myself to set foot
That second
In the still sleeping town and set forth.

~Dylan Thomas

“Although I was born in April, I’m quite certain I was not fully awake until October.”

~Peggy Toney Horton

This entry was posted in Culture, Poetry, Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to October Skies

1. Awesome! I love the fall- enjoyed the photos and words. Great post.

2. seekingdivineperspective.com says:

Gorgeous! Not only the pictures, but your choice of words. It makes me happy to be in a beautiful place like northern Michigan right now.

3. Loving the pics. It’s definitely autumn.

4. Paula Light says:

Gorgeous pics and words! 🎃

5. Gary Fultz says:

Love the collection of Photos. Love October. Gonna stay.

6. smzang says:

I first thought to try to compose a response that is as lovely as
    the text you wrote. I lack the ability and besides, I am suddenly
    eager to take a walk along the edge of the woods. There are
    squirrels aplenty and the birds are singing. So, I’m signing off,
    getting out my fleece lined hoodie and going for a walk. Thank
    you for the inspiration!!

7. bonmed says:

My son’s name is Dylan Thomas!

8. Lisa Beth says:

Great post, I just got back from NH, mountains & lakes….you took the pics right from my heart. 🍁🍃🍂🍁🍃🍂

9. Gorgeous photos! Fall is such a beautiful vibrant time of year and it’s captured to perfection here! 🙂

10. Art Mealer says:

You forgot my picture. I was born in October – today in fact.

Goodness! I had no idea there were so many quotes about October! Must copy some of these into my own collection. Thank you for adding to the splendor of cool, crisp days with such lovely descriptors. Also, thank you for the gorgeous photos, to compensate for the lack of color this autumn due to the drought. Maybe next year our trees will rival those pictured here!

12. So beautiful…it’s beautiful here in Idaho also! I have always loved Fall the best!

13. Tina says:

Gorgeous pics! “Autumn came with wind and gold.” –Henry David Thoreau

14. Beautiful photos. I miss seeing that autumn color.

15. anitashope says:

Some amazing pictures.

16. karanoel says:

So beautiful! Here in OC, it’s going to be 94 degrees next week. So I will live vicariously through you… until winter comes along. 😄

17. Glorious Autumn! 🍁🍂🌾

18. shobhna says:

Beautifully said and gorgeous pictures!

19. Have no fear–I have embraced October fully this year! The only thing missing is raking up a big pile of leaves and jumping in it.

20. This great collection reminded me that October is also Chores Can Wait Month, so I took a short walk and noticed that familiar sight would be a good haiku subject.

*Fall Frolic*
                    Dancing on the breeze,
                    ignorant of gravity:
                    red leaf in blue sky.

21. Beautiful, Mitch. It’s a part of the year that I miss most now that I live in the south. Here in South Central Texas (near San Antonio) we get all the yard work that fall brings, but none of its beauty. Missing Indiana this time of year.

22. Awesome pics made possible by our Creator! Thx for sharing…

23. gpavants says:

Hi Mitch,

Autumn is my favorite time of year and those images were stunning. What a feast of cornucopia for the eyes.

Gary

24. Jennie says:

Gorgeous! God is the supreme artist and the world is His canvas.